Thread: Two words

Two words

Drew Brees.

I know we could have afforded it. You have all seen what he did to a 3-13 team. With this defense I believe we could have had a 15-1 or 14-2 regular season and we would still be in the playoffs.

Does anybody think we should have signed him instead?

Re: Two words

Absolutely!!!

I've got 1 word....hindsight. Of course looking back maybe Brees would have been better. But the fact was he was coming of major surgery and no one was 100% sure what he'd be. We all know the type of player McNair is and we made the right choice of getting him.
    M&T Bank Stadium - Section 513
    Proud Season Ticket Holder since 1998

I personally never understood the McNair obsession, and was hoping more for Drew Brees.

However, you can't fault the Ravens. Brees was going to be huge money and had just gotten work done on his shoulder in the off season. So there was some risk there. Bonus would have been we've got our QB for the next 5-6 years.

Mac9 works better than the other alternatives, but we need a young guy ready to go. Fortunately or unfortunately, we never seem to be in the top 10 to get a really good QB. We'll see. A guy like Stanton(mid second), Brohm, Smith (2nd-3rd). Leak might be an option later in the draft (round 4ish).

RB might be a need as well, Anderson will be solid, but we need a young guy and a lot will depend on PJ Daniels' evaluation.

I was really hoping i'd not be talking about this crap right now :(

5. Re: Two words

Quote Originally Posted by Bez513 View Post
    I've got 1 word....hindsight. Of course looking back maybe Brees would have been better. But the fact was he was coming of major surgery and no one was 100% sure what he'd be. We all know the type of player McNair is and we made the right choice of getting him.
    But Drew is a lot younger. However McNair is a much better choice than Daunte Culpepper who has had 10 TDs and 18 TOs in his last 11 games. With how good the Ravens D is they did not need a great QB. McNair is smart and can manage the game well.

Steelers is dead on. I remember everyone being more enamored with Daunte than Brees. Many people in Baltimore thought that a 2nd rounder for Culpepper was a steal. Well, we may not have gotten Brees, but we don't have Culpepper either. So, McNair was a nice middle of the road option that was actually the healthiest of the bunch.

Of course hindsight. Drew Brees is a top 5 if not top 3 QB right now. I think anyone would rather have Brees.

Blog Entries

I always thought we should have taken a shot at getting Brees just because of his age!

b/c it is very rare injury or not that a young premiere qb hits the open market like that.

Usuaully you have to draft or trade for someone like that.

Should of would of could of. I said Drew back then too, but we have McNair and we should be able to build our offfense around our assets in the off season. We didn't really have the whole off season to game plan and build the offense with McNair. I am hoping that he buys a house in Baltimore and stays here to work in the off season with the receivers and the new OC as well as Billick to be better prepared offensively next season. We need to start lookinf for the future - I think Brohm might be a good future investment. I am not sold on Leak and I tend to shy away from QB's that have not faced great defenses in high intensity conferences, I know you can state many exceptions to the rule, but I think they are exactly that...Look at the young successful QB's in the league today all from big time conferences and programs. As for a RB, I think we trade Jamal if possible, or dump him for cap room. Anderson and Smith can handle the RB duties next year. I want Darren McFadden - we could package Sumari and maybe a Dan Cody together for a 1st round pick next year with the Texans or even send Jamal there and ask for a 1st round next year. Granted we are hedging our bets that Houston would still pretty much stink next year and we would get a pick in the top 5 which should enable us to get McFadden. I haven't heard much about how PJ Daniel's development has been coming, so I don't know how good he could be or how explosive he might be either.