Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Nmandi signs 3 year deal with Raiders

Cross him off the list.

RAIDERS STRIKE A DEAL WITH ASOMUGHA

Posted by Aaron Wilson on February 19, 2009, 2:20 p.m.

The Oakland Raiders have locked up Pro Bowl cornerback Nmandi Asomugha with a three-year contract worth at least $45 million, according to Adam Schefter of NFL Network.

Citing a league source, Schefter reports that Asomugha’s deal could be worth as much as $50 million.

Under the language of the contract, Asomugha is slated to make $28.5 million during the first two years of the deal. That money is all guaranteed.

There’s an option in Year 3 of the deal where the Raiders would have to pay Asomugha either the average of the top five quarterback salaries or $16.875 million. Asomugha would be compensated with whichever is the higher figure.

If the Raiders should choose to not exercise the option, Asomugha would be allowed to become a free agent and Oakland would not be allowed to use the franchise tag to retain him.

Meanwhile, Nancy Gay of the San Francisco Chronicle reports slightly different numbers. She has Asomugha signing a three-year deal worth nearly $40 million, including $26 million in guaranteed money.

Under the structure of the deal, Asomugha would be up for free agency again when he’s 31.

Re: Nmandi signs 3 year deal with Raiders

What an idiot. He could have made comparable money and gone to a franchise that isn't in shambles
    • Section 133 for eternity!
    • I know... The family resemblance is uncanny.
    • START WEARING PURPLE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pyite32 View Post
    What an idiot. He could have made comparable money and gone to a franchise that isn't in shambles
    Haha, I bet that's what Brian Roberts' friends are telling him.

SI is reporting that it's a 6 year deal with $28.5MM in guaranteed money. The money after year 2 is ridiculous.

I don't think he gets that sort of deal anywhere else...

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

love nmandi..... too bad......keeps his mouth shut and does his job

Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    Haha, I bet that's what Brian Roberts' friends are telling him.
    I don't want to get off on a O's tangent but I'll just say the O's are HARDLY "in shambles." Will they make the playoffs this year? No. But if you think the organization is in shambles, you obviously haven't been paying attention recently.

Quote Originally Posted by riprulz8 View Post
    I don't want to get off on a O's tangent but I'll just say the O's are HARDLY "in shambles." Will they make the playoffs this year? No. But if you think the organization is in shambles, you obviously haven't been paying attention recently.
    Hey, it was just an attempt at some humor. I love the O's, and personally think they're heading in the right direction. Sorry if I offended. :respect

I saw this early and almost cried...lol

Blog Entries

Big shame for him. Could be winning superbowls with a good team, but chose to remain with the Raiders.

I'm confused, does he honestly think things are going to change there?

No, I think he sees that he's gettign almost $30m to play tow years, and still have some sort of career left to garner another contract. If they want to pay him $17m for year 3 I bet he plays. He may need to move to safety for his next contract with this apparently short term deal.

these contracts are just getting ridiculous. i heard it was 3 years 45 million. thats 15 mill a year!!! nobody is worth that.. no matter how good they are. the NFL really needs to do something, especially with rookie contracts. there is no way Jake Long was worth 30 million guaranteed as a rookie.

but realistically, who thinks he will serve all 3 years?

Blog Entries

That is an insane contract.

The 2-year clause in it? Insane. Gives him leverage to make them pay him pretty much whatever he wants because if he opts out after two years their cap hit from dead money is going to be absurd.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.