Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Bigger Ravens Need: CB or WR?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny8444 View Post
    I believe WR will be addressed in the 1st round of the draft with CB in the 2nd and WR again in the 3rd.
    NOt a chance, WR with two of our first three picks?
    I'd be surprised very much if we draft two WR's in the draft peropd.

Here is 4 deep what we expect to have going in to camp this year...

Washington, Walker, Martin, Ogelsby.

A castoff, a fuckup, somone that can't stay on the field, and someone we freely let walk about midcamp last year...

This isn't even close.

I agree with whomever said we are going to brng in up to 3 CB's. That's without talking about camp fodder. We are likely to keep 6 CB's for the roster, as we play usually 4-5 in a game without injuries, 3 with significant time.

Whereas with WR, we have a solid gritty Vet that still has it, a young guy that shows it sometimes, a guy that can't stay on the field and a young kid. Additionally there are a few other young big players that have spent a year or "with" the team. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we brought in only one player for this position as really only two players play significant action on gameday with a another player getting a dozen or less snaps on offense.

I'm surprised that CB is favored as much as it is in this thread. I definitely think it's a need, but if Mason goes down for any length of time, this team is in a world of hurt as far as the passing offense is concerned.

Last year, the team went stretches without Rolle and C-Mac and did a workman-like job, whereas if Mason is shut down, the passing game was almost non-existent.

At least I have the Baltimore Sun on my side. http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/f...,3602514.story . . . on second thought, that may not be a boon to my argument.

Don't get me wrong. I do think CB is a need. The Ravens need both quantity and quality at CB, whereas they only really need one WR. I just think the Ravens stand to benefit the most by drafting a stud WR.

Also, I recognize that it's more risky to pick a WR than CB, but I just wanted to focus this thread on what the greater need was.

As an aside, if Heward-Bey runs a 4.2 in the 40 yard dash, as the Sun has reported he could run, there's no way he'll be there at 26.

Quote Originally Posted by 12jg34 View Post
    I'm surprised that CB is favored as much as it is in this thread. I definitely think it's a need, but if Mason goes down for any length of time, this team is in a world of hurt as far as the passing offense is concerned.

Last year, the team went stretches without Rolle and C-Mac and did a workman-like job, whereas if Mason is shut down, the passing game was almost non-existent.

At least I have the Baltimore Sun on my side. http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/f...,3602514.story . . . on second thought, that may not be a boon to my argument.

Don't get me wrong. I do think CB is a need. The Ravens need both quantity and quality at CB, whereas they only really need one WR. I just think the Ravens stand to benefit the most by drafting a stud WR.

Also, I recognize that it's more risky to pick a WR than CB, but I just wanted to focus this thread on what the greater need was.

As an aside, if Heward-Bey runs a 4.2 in the 40 yard dash, as the Sun has reported he could run, there's no way he'll be there at 26.
    Good post. I think DHB will be there and should be the pick, but I am also sold on H. Nicks. I think at WR we need one guy with great potential and Cb we just need a few guys who can play.

We need a Shut-Down corner, and improved pass rush to compete with Pittsburgh now, and in the future! If not, we'll be whistling out our wazoo again next year!
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

The Steelers did not score too many TDs throwing on us, we just did not get enough TD tosses on them. I think what we need to beat the Steelers is creating moe big plays on O, not stopping the one or two they come with a game.

My main point is that we can't seem to get to Ben when it counts, and then we have a break down either in the pass rush, and/or in the secondary - we need a beat-down in both of those areas in order to succeed (more consistently) against the team that is going to be our nemesis for years to come.
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by 12jg34 View Post
    Maybe you think Rolle's definitely back next year, but news flash for ya... If he's not, Washington going down for a stretch is WAY more detrimental to our team right now than Mason going down. Clayton is at least a capable starter. Past Washington, we barely have capable backups...God help us if two of them are starting.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Wink Re: Bigger Ravens Need: CB or WR?

CB, and it's not even close. If we lose both Lewis and Scott, LB would also jump ahead of WR.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

We have 2 LBs in Gooden and McClain who can come in and start if Ray and Bart leave.

I think we need 2 2nd teir corners in FA and a big WR in the 1st round. Then take another CB in the 2nd possibly trading up in the 2nd round if one of the good CBs falls there.

Bodden and Lucas would fit great and add depth so we can blitz when we want. Then we can groom the rookie to start later on

I also like Derrick Martin and if he can stay healthy he can be very good.

Blog Entries

Also Reed performs better if the corners are good.
    I really believe that the "slow start" gangbusters at the end of the year for him was not so much the injury issue, but more the CB one.
    Reed seemed to really emerge as dominant once Rolle was back.
    It is almost like Reed has a hesitation, having to see the play start to unfold in order to decide which side needs him. Once Rolle was back in place, the keys told Reed where he would be effective.
    We get 2 very decent corners and Reed will drive QBs crazy cause he could go/be anywhere. I can see him taking a false step with the QB's eyes on him then breaking opposite when they leave. But we absolutely must have at least one improvement over Washington be even better if we had 2.
    Not knocking Washington, but as jonboy said, we have squat after him.

First round WRs are nowhere near the hit rate of first round CBs.

I'm still taking BPA with our first pick, though need at those two positions I think trumps BPA in such a way that if there's no CB/WR that's significant value at that pick, we should trade down to a pick where there is one. If incapable of trading down, still take BPA.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Quote Originally Posted by Benny8444 View Post
    We have 2 LBs in Gooden and McClain who can come in and start if Ray and Bart leave.
    No disrespect to T-Good and J-Mac, but I ain't willing to take that chance and I don't think Ozzie is either.