Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: Breaking News..........

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Yes, the best CB we ever had. And Yes, one of the worst head cases we ever had. It's a wash; a net of zero.
    I wouldn't say it like that. The guy gave us WAY more than he took away from us. You're describing a TO sort of guy...one who's spectacular talent is completely off-set by the destructive force he becomes in the locker room. CMac is nowhere near that bad. His on-field play more than made up for that.

However, looking at him today, you still have all the attitude issues, but you're coupling them with a guy who's well past his prime, hurt more than half the time, and slotted to make $8.5MM next year. This is still a business, and very clearly today his solid play is not enough to make up for those other things.

This organization is run well, and Ozzie has shown time and again that we won't make bad business decisions simply in thanks for what you did for us a few years ago. If you're not pulling your weight on this team, you aren't on the team. That's a good thing...it's the way it should be.

As such, I say thanks for the great memories and the great play and I wish you the best of luck, but don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Business should be emotionless. Many fail because people have difficulty with that concept.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    Business should be emotionless. Many fail because people have difficulty with that concept. - C -
    Right.

It's nothing personal.

But I do find it funny that both Billick and C-Mac were given a vote of confidence from folks within the organization right before being guillotined.

Quote Originally Posted by RAVENOUS52 View Post
    Right.

It's nothing personal.

But I do find it funny that both Billick and C-Mac were given a vote of confidence from folks within the organization right before being guillotined.
    You really believe Cmac and his story about the meeting with Harbaugh?

He and his agent knew he was gonna be cut. Hell, most fans did.

Sorry, but I don't believe that Harbaugh had a meeting Cmac discussing him being a part of the team and 5 minutes later Ozzie calling him to cut him.

McAlister was a great player who could've been HOF material IMO. He relied on his natural ability and that was plenty. However, I think a better attitude along with a lifestyle change early in his career could've been the key to him being an all time NFL great.

I'm glad he was a Raven.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post

Sorry, but I don't believe that Harbaugh had a meeting Cmac discussing him being a part of the team and 5 minutes later Ozzie calling him to cut him.

McAlister was a great player who could've been HOF material IMO. He relied on his natural ability and that was plenty. However, I think a better attitude along with a lifestyle change early in his career could've been the key to him being an all time NFL great.

I'm glad he was a Raven.

PP
    It did not sound made up to me and I can not see why he would lie about it.

I think Harbs was serious about him coming back, doing all the ota stuff and all the workouts and rehab here.
    Oz was most likley talking to his agent while Harbs was talking to him though. His agent should test he free agent market before taking a huge pay cut to stay here. It is good buis to part on good terms and not burn the bridge for both sides, and if after the draft we have not filled the need at Cb I would not be suprised if they give him a call.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    It did not sound made up to me and I can not see why he would lie about it.

I think Harbs was serious about him coming back, doing all the ota stuff and all the workouts and rehab here.
    Oz was most likley talking to his agent while Harbs was talking to him though. His agent should test he free agent market before taking a huge pay cut to stay here. It is good buis to part on good terms and not burn the bridge for both sides, and if after the draft we have not filled the need at Cb I would not be suprised if they give him a call.
    So the coach and the GM are on completely different pages and telling a player completely different things within minutes of each other?

Cmac getting cut was the worst kept secret in town for the last 3 months.

Cmac wasn't offered a pay cut. He was cut. He had no leverage. He was due 8 million, he was coming off two injury plagued seasons where he played in half the games.

The bridges are burned. They were burned months ago.

PP

So the coach and the GM are on completely different pages and telling a player completely different things within minutes of each other?

Cmac getting cut was the worst kept secret in town for the last 3 months.

Cmac wasn't offered a pay cut. He was cut. He had no leverage. He was due 8 million, he was coming off two injury plagued seasons where he played in half the games.

The bridges are burned. They were burned months ago.

PP
    How do u know? Why would he lie? What Harbs said and what Oz did are not contradicting. He can come back, but he is cut.

I can see him returning under certian conditions and for way less money. He did not sound bitter.
    Just because something happened does not mean bridges were burned. His salary was why he was going to get cut, and it does not make sense to make a new contract before testing the market and proving himself in some workouts at least.

How do u know? Why would he lie? What Harbs said and what Oz did are not contradicting. He can come back, but he is cut.

I can see him returning under certian conditions and for way less money. He did not sound bitter.
    Just because something happened does not mean bridges were burned. His salary was why he was going to get cut, and it does not make sense to make a new contract before testing the market and proving himself in some workouts at least.

Although the move wasn't unexpected by teammates and team officials who only saw the three-time Pro Bowl selection a few times after he had knee surgery in South Florida and rehabilitated away from team headquarters, McAlister said he was caught off-guard by the move. He even called it a "blind shot."
    "It's kind of strange how it all happens, it's a tough pill to swallow at the end of the day," McAlister said in a radio interview with 105.7 The Fan. "I'm still dealing with the shock of the whole thing. I can't imagine this happened. I never thought it would happen. I'll bounce back. I still love football. I still want to play football."

According to McAlister, he met Monday with coach John Harbaugh for 15 minutes and discussed returning next season and participating in the team's offseason training program. Then, he was given the news that the team was terminating his contract during a subsequent meeting with general manager Ozzie Newsome.

"I went in to take my exit physical and I sat down and talked to coach Harbaugh and we talked about how I felt about coming back and the offseason conditioning program," said McAlister, who didn't return telephone calls. "I left out of his office and he said we would talk in a couple of days. Two minutes later, I walked into the general manager's office and got cut. The whole way it went down is probably the most disappointing thing to me."

The reasons behind McAlister's departure aren't hard to figure out.

He'll turn 32 before next season and missed the final 10 games after being placed on injured reserve. He's coming off knee surgery, but said he'll be able to perform "100 percent football activity" by May or June.

Plus, McAlister had a history of off-field problems and was benched prior to a game against the Miami Dolphins this past season. In his final start with the Ravens, he was burnt repeatedly by wide receiver Marvin Harrison in a 31-3 loss to the Indianapolis Colts.

When asked about behind-the-scenes issues involving him and the team, McAlister sounded unconvinced that there was anything to clear up.

"I did exactly what was asked of me," he said. "I went and had my surgery. I wasn't on the roster. I was given the opportunity to rehab where I had surgery or I could come back. As long as I was getting the rehab and doing what I have been doing down in Florida, I thought I had done everything I was supposed to do.

"As far as mending fences, some fences I can't comment on. .. As far as mending fences, they can't be mended at this point. There's nothing I can do to change the situation. I'll play for another team somewhere else."

So let's see.

Pretty much everyone but Cmac saw this coming.

He said he sat with Harbaugh and talked about offseason conditioning etc.. and then was cut minutes later. That's not him saying Harbaugh and Ozzie contradicted each other?

He said the fences can't be mended and he'll play elsewhere.

It's pretty obvious he and Harbaugh don't see eye to eye and that he will move on with his career elsewhere.

How much longer are you gonna hang on to this idea that this relationship hasn't been severed?

PP

He and Cullpepper are coming back now. 1.5 million/ lifetime contract

I'm glad he was a Raven.

PP
    As usual I agree with all of this. I don't buy for a second CMac didn't know it was coming, and don't think the Harbs story is overly likely.

His story to me looks somewhat similar to Ray's. Ray's personal issues were obviously more severe. But the players were similar. Both had attitude issues and tons of natural ability. CMac never altered his attitude and mearly achieved the "great player" status. Ray did, and will go down in history as one of the best ever to play his position.

- C -

www.oblongspheroid.com

You're the kinda guy that sees an empty glass on the table and says "That thing's almost half full," right?

Not that there's anything wrong with that, but maybe a little dose of reality would do you some good...

- C -

www.oblongspheroid.com

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    You're the kinda guy that sees an empty glass on the table and says "That thing's almost half full," right?

Not that there's anything wrong with that, but maybe a little dose of reality would do you some good...

- C -
    On the surface that is where Chris and the team left it. He could have said a lot of things in that interview, but he came up with a story abuot it being a suprise and having a good meeting before the axe. I just do not see why he would make it up, and I can see why and or how it could happen on the Ravens end. The meeting with Harbs about what he would have to do to come back may have been on the assumption on his part that he would be under contract and not out there having to get himself together first.

I really am not the most optimistic or delusional guy. I am just reading his reaction and taking his story as true unless proven false. Other than the complete suprise part, but I think he was suprised that he was not offered a pay cut or something first. I was anyway, but I can see his agent shooting it down before Chris even talked to Oz.

"As far as mending fences, some fences I can't comment on. .. As far as mending fences, they can't be mended at this point. There's nothing I can do to change the situation. I'll play for another team somewhere else."
    That quote pretty much says it all from McAlister's perspective.

Add to that the fact that the Ravens apparently didn't offer him a paycut, pretty says that from both sides - it's over.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap