Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Suggs in studio on NFL Total Access...

You know. The more I listen to Suggs, the more respect points he earns with me. His attitude is the right one:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/categ...r-mill/page/2/

Despite predictions that he’ll be franchised for the second year in a row, Baltimore Ravens Pro Bowl linebacker Terrell Suggs remains optimistic that a long-term contract will ultimately be worked out.

“I really have faith in the Ravens and in my agent that we’ll get something done,” Suggs said Wednesday night during an NFL Network studio appearance in Los Angeles. “I know we’ll get something done. I showed them last year that I love the city of Baltimore and I wanted to be a Raven. I’m hopeful.”

It would cost $10.2 million against the Ravens’ 2009 salary cap to franchise Suggs again, one year after keeping him with a nearly $8.5 million hybrid defensive end/linebacker tag.

The Ravens have been negotiating off and on with Suggs’ agent, Gary Wichard, for the past few years.

When asked about possibly playing for New York Jets coach Rex Ryan, the former Ravens defensive coordinator, Suggs reiterated that he prefers to stay in Baltimore.

“Yeah, but God forbid something doesn’t work out with Baltimore,” Suggs said. “Baltimore has first dibs. I want to see if myself and Baltimore can come to an agreement. It would be an honor to play for Rex Ryan again, but, to be totally honest, I’ll play for anybody that will have me. Baltimore is my first choice.”

Tells me all I need to know about Suggs. Right now I would put his contract at priority.

Quote Originally Posted by 52decleetzu View Post
    We have 2 years to go with Ngata,he is a RFA next year and it wouldnt make any sense to extend him until after next year.His RFA tender will be about $3 million(with the highest tender of course).Actually if the FO wanted to be a little PRO active they could lock him up and his cap number could be pretty close to that $3 million(maybe a little more) but the trade off is you save money in the signing bonus as contract values accelerate every year.Its not like we have to worry about if it is a good investment or not,the guy has been a stud from the first day he stepped on the field.

Ngata seems like type of guy who would sign pretty easily if we made him a decent offer.
    Ngata will never be a restricted FA.

He will be unrestricted after the 2010 season because he signed a 5 year deal.

Once a player has 5 years of service, he becomes on an unrestricted FA once when his contract runs out. See Terrell Suggs last year.

So this time next year the team should be looking to lock him up long term IMO.

PP

I think that the minimum years to become an unrestricted free agent changes if there's no new agreement on the collective bargaining agreement. If there's no extension then with the uncapped year it takes 6 years to become an unrestricted free agent, not 5 years. Could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I've read that somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    Ngata will never be a restricted FA.

He will be unrestricted after the 2010 season because he signed a 5 year deal.

Once a player has 5 years of service, he becomes on an unrestricted FA once when his contract runs out. See Terrell Suggs last year.

So this time next year the team should be looking to lock him up long term IMO.

PP
    Ahh I forgot it is different since he was drafted high,your right.

Either way we need to lock him up...the sooner the better.

BTW Justin Bannan is a UFA after this coming year as well,might want to look at extending him too for a modest price given his age.

We just need the FO to start being more proactive, period.

Continuously letting our studs reach the ends of their contracts creates more drama than it's worth.

Lock em' up early and often, I say.

Quote Originally Posted by RAVENOUS52 View Post
    We just need the FO to start being more proactive, period.

Continuously letting our studs reach the ends of their contracts creates more drama than it's worth.

Lock em' up early and often, I say.
    Absolutely.

Im not trying to have Suggs Part II on our hands with Ngata.