Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Ravens Q&A w/ Aaron Wilson

Aaron addresses some key questions regarding the Ravens' offseason plans, how some key injured Ravens are progressing with physical rehab and much more HERE

If there's a question we missed, post it here and we'll get Aaron's thoughts on those next week...

Re: Ravens Q&A w/ Aaron Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    Aaron addresses some key questions regarding the Ravens' offseason plans, how some key injured Ravens are progressing with physical rehab and much more HERE

If there's a question we missed, post it here and we'll get Aaron's thoughts on those next week...
    Wow,a bunch of info in that article.

I dont know where to start......

Things that jumped out:

-Landry-Up in the air with his status,Aaron says Leonard should be back and Jim and Dawan will compete for the statrting SS job!

-Suggs and Brown both more likely back,Ray maybe maybe not.

-Figurs might be looking for a new job

-Rolle doubtful to return ( dont like that at all)

-Gregg said surgery was a big successs and it healed well,ready to go.

-Yanda and Syp ahead of schedule and should be good to go by minicamps.

-Aaron says Rays "leadership" can be good/bad,it rubs some guys the wrong way.

Most notably the outlook for Landry is not looking good(right now) and the idea of Leonard as out starting STRONG safety worries me big time.How many times did we see receivers catch a 15 yd pass and then break through Reed who is protecting his neck,and Leonard who just isnt big enough to bring guys down in the open field like a SS should be able to?? You never saw that when Landry was in there,he has the size and tackling ability to get guys on the ground,and I cant imagine having Reed and Leonard as our last line of defense when a tackle needs to be made.Ugh....Im praying Landry gets better fast.Im sure the rest of Ravens fans are now overjoyed that the next Ronnie Lott looks like he will be back though.

Other main thing that stuck out was Rolle being pretty much ruled out as being back.I guess we are planning on taking the 4 million he would take up and go get another corner in FA,but as I have said before we arent in a position to cut one of our starting corners the way I see it.If Rolle is let go we need no less than 3 new corners the way I see it,or risk being completely exposed in 3 and 4 wide sets again or if God forbid someone gets injured.....the situation being even worse.I hope Ozzie has something up his sleeve if Rolle is gone.Rolle was part of the tackling problem in the open field as well,but honestly he is a corner and his main job is to cover not tackle.

Also the Figurs info seems to say that we will be picking a WR fairly high in the draft,and he will be on the outside looking in.Im fine with that,if someone has to go at WR to make room he would be the man.

If Devard Darling got to play out his rookie contract, I do not see why they would cut Figurs until the final 53 and we needed the roster spot. He makes almost no money, is fast as anyone, and if he gets a little tougher and 10 pounds stronger, he should be a real weapon on offense and coverage at least if not returns.

From what I heard Samari has taken a pay cut before, and may do so again if his cap number is over 4 mil, but if not he should not and should start.

Zibs was a 3rd round pick as well, not a 5th like Landry or 6th like Haruki. I just do not see paying a free agent saftey more than the minimum with what else is on the roster, and I do not see Leonard playing for the minimum after the year he had.

The best part about the upcoming free agency and draft is the Ravens both have a lot of options and are going to be pretty well set to contend no matter what direction the choose to go in with regards to the top 4 free agents. They should be able to get a very good free agent to replace any of the guys who leave, and can even go in another position if one of the young lbs or Chris Chester is ready to step up.

I have a lot of respect for what Aaron says and I find his information extremely creditable. Most people on this forum don't feel that the Ravens will resign Jim Leonard and I find it refreshing that Aaron feels that the probably of resigning him is "Probable" which is a 75% chance he comes back to the Ravens. Also, I found it interesting that Aaron feels that Samari Rolle won't be back. Now the question that I have is now that Brett Farve is retiring, that frees up an additional $13M for the NY Jets. Does Aaron still feel that we will resign Leonard?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    If Devard Darling got to play out his rookie contract, I do not see why they would cut Figurs until the final 53 and we needed the roster spot. He makes almost no money, is fast as anyone, and if he gets a little tougher and 10 pounds stronger, he should be a real weapon on offense and coverage at least if not returns..
    The Ravens almost ALWAYS keep their rookies through their first contract,but the need for a difference maker at WR might be the reason they go against the grain on this one and let Figurs go.Also remember,he was drafted as an explosive returner 1st,and a receiver 2nd.Last year he looked very tentative and it looks like they dont see any reason to have him take up a roster sopt if he isnt going to be vauable in the return game.That "little tougher and 10 lbs stronger" might be an issue as well,maybe they see he doesnt have what it takes to hit the hole on the returns.You have to be a little crazy to be a good returner and have no fear,Figurs looks like he might not be cut out to return kicks for whatever reason.

From what I heard Samari has taken a pay cut before, and may do so again if his cap number is over 4 mil, but if not he should not and should start.

Zibs was a 3rd round pick as well, not a 5th like Landry or 6th like Haruki. I just do not see paying a free agent saftey more than the minimum with what else is on the roster, and I do not see Leonard playing for the minimum after the year he had.
    I dont get it either,you cant carry 5 safeties on the roster there just isnt room.It seems like it has to be an either/or situation in regards to Landry and Leonard,and if you sign Leonard to a deal and have him "compete" with Landry for the SS spot.....who is the one that gets cut?You would have signed Landry to his RFA tender of probably $2 million or so,you arent gonna cut him.You will have signed Leonard to a decent FA deal,you obviously arent gonna cut him.So that leaves Zbikowski and Nakamura.....who you just drafted.So who is gonna go in that scenario????

Maybe Tony can get some clarification on this from Aaron,because it makes absolutely no sense to me at all unless Landry cant come back and they pencil in Leonard as the SS.I see no way possible a competition is in the cards unless they plan on carrying 5 safeties.Up until last year we only carried 3,so I am puzzled.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenwoman View Post
    I have a lot of respect for what Aaron says and I find his information extremely creditable. Most people on this forum don't feel that the Ravens will resign Jim Leonard and I find it refreshing that Aaron feels that the probably of resigning him is "Probable" which is a 75% chance he comes back to the Ravens. Also, I found it interesting that Aaron feels that Samari Rolle won't be back. Now the question that I have is now that Brett Farve is retiring, that frees up an additional $13M for the NY Jets. Does Aaron still feel that we will resign Leonard?

There are very valid reasons why most dont think Leonard will be back,as I noted in my previous post.Its anumbers game,and the numbers just dont jive if Landry is back healthy.

The Jets are still in a bad spot even with Farve gone,only have about $6 million under the cap to work with.That still leaves them in the bottom 3 of the league overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    If Devard Darling got to play out his rookie contract, I do not see why they would cut Figurs until the final 53 and we needed the roster spot. He makes almost no money, is fast as anyone, and if he gets a little tougher and 10 pounds stronger, he should be a real weapon on offense and coverage at least if not returns.
    They haven't always done so, given that they released David Pittman in Sept. Pittman, like Figurs, was a 3rd round pick entering his 3rd year on the team.

That said, there are several factors at play:

1. I think most expect some additions to the WR core this offseason, plus Mason, Clayton, Williams and Smith are already ahead of Figurs on the depth chart.

2. If Leonhard is re-signed or a rookie WR with returning abilities is drafted, then Figurs' spot is definitely at major risk.

All that said, I doubt anything will happen with Figurs until camp because there is no reason to part ways with him until it's clear that he's not going to be among the best 53 players.

He took a paycut, but with incentives that he was able to earn back what he gave up. Last year, that allowed a cap savings when they needed more cap room. This year, they have enough cap room, plus since this is the "Last capped year", all incentives count immediately, so they can't get any additional cap space by doing so. This year, if he takes a paycut, it will have to be a true reduction in salary.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

10. Do you expect Ed Reed to be at 100% by opening day '09?

No. I think the nerve impingement issue will linger barring some sort of breakthrough in his rehabilitation and exercises. I'm taking him at his word that a surgery would potentially be career-ending. Of course, it's possible that Reed could continue to improve with rest throughout the offseason while maintaining his conditioning standards.
    I would love to here some follow-up, especially if someone get actually talk to Ed.

Early in the season, an orthopedic surgeon was a guest on local radio show and he descibed surgery to treat a nerve impingment in the shoulder/neck as fairly straight-forward. What makes Ed's case inoperable/career threatening?

As great as Ed was last year, he was only half a football player. Is there nothing that can be done to get the full Ed Reed back?

I don't think the Ravens have ever been a more attracive destination for free agents as they are now that they have not only a great defense, but a very promising young offense expected to improve. The Ravens have always been a place that makes defenders look good, and should be even better while playing with a lead and blowing out weaker teams. I think they will end up getting plenty of hometown discounts on players who would otherwise gladly be cut to get off a team like the Bungles.

If I am Samari or C Mac, I am not tryng to go anywhere unless I know someone else is going to pay me a lot more than the Ravens would. Unless you are a "shutdown corner" you are pretty expendable and if the Ravens are putting it out there that they are not likley to be back it may part of a ploy to force pay cuts instead of actuall roster cuts.

It looks like we will be needing a linebacker or two, and I read there are many UFAs at that position. I've also read Mel Kiper has us taking a linebacker at 26, but given our needs at CB and WR, where the draft is relatively stronger this year, that seems backward from what I'd expect. I'd be interested in Aaron's thoughts about who our new LB's might be next year.

Great piece, Tony. Many thanks.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Aaron is always chock full of good stuff - he was the reason I always listened to the B.Cunningham show (on Saturdays) when he was still with NST. I for one would be thrilled if they can retain Leonhard - you can Never have enough playmakers in my book! Let him compete with Landry, and may the best man win!
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    It looks like we will be needing a linebacker or two, and I read there are many UFAs at that position. I've also read Mel Kiper has us taking a linebacker at 26, but given our needs at CB and WR, where the draft is relatively stronger this year, that seems backward from what I'd expect. I'd be interested in Aaron's thoughts about who our new LB's might be next year.

Great piece, Tony. Many thanks.
    Any draft projection that has us taking a LB at 26 ASSumes we are gonna lose 2 LB'ers to FA and not one,which isnt happening.They also dont realize that if Scott is the ONE LB to leave we have Gooden who will step right in and replace him.Will he be successful? Who knows but we didnt draft him in the 3rd round for the hell of it,and he will be on the field unless he gets hurt in that scenario.