Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Official to be released thread

Official to be released thread

I thought this was a thread about a referee being cut. I'd vote for Walt Coleman. With that one call, the dude probable changed the course of our season.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    Official to be released thread

I thought this was a thread about a referee being cut. I'd vote for Walt Coleman. With that one call, the dude probable changed the course of our season.
    The worst part about it for me was the look on his face as he shrugged off Harbs question as to how could he make that call. He was smirking like a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensFan19 View Post

I think in the right defense, with the right coaches motivating him, and the right players around him Michael Huff could be one of the best safeties in the NFL. He has all of the physical tools.

A lot of people don't realize how important team camaraderie and a winning attitude can really change a players outlook on the game and in a lot of cases, even get them to play better and harder.
    I have to think any player with options would love to leave train wrecks like Oakland or Detroit (look at coaches like Rob Ryan splitting), and I'm sure they'd play better elsewhere. I kind of think we're set at safety with Reed, Landry and Leonhard, so I doubt we'd spend much $ there.
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sailorsam View Post
    I have to think any player with options would love to leave train wrecks like Oakland or Detroit (look at coaches like Rob Ryan splitting), and I'm sure they'd play better elsewhere. I kind of think we're set at safety with Reed, Landry and Leonhard, so I doubt we'd spend much $ there.
    Oh, I know. It is just wishful thinking.

Unless something tragic happens with Ed Reed and the injury he has now is career threatening, I can't see us going and trying to get a top-flight safety.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

49ers | K. Lewis, Banta-Bain released
    Tue, 10 Feb 2009 15:33:21 -0800

Mike Sando, of ESPN.com, reports the San Francisco 49ers have released SS Keith Lewis and LB Tully Banta-Cain.

"Banta-Cain was hailed as a boost to the 49ers pass rush when he arrived in 2007. Formerly a standout at Fremont High of Sunnyvale and Cal, he played all 16 games in his first season with the 49ers and set a career-high with 59 tackles, according to the coach's statistics.

But he essentially vanished from the depth chart for parts of 2008 and finished with just 12 tackles.

Lewis, meanwhile, spent five seasons with the team after being drafted in the sixth round of the 2004 draft. A special-teams stalwart, Lewis started just 13 times in the secondary during his 49ers career and had not made a start since 2006."

49ers | Plan to release Jennings
    Tue, 10 Feb 2009 14:33:25 -0800

Matt Maiocco, of The Santa Rosa Press Democrat, reports the San Francisco 49ers plan to release OT Jonas Jennings, according to sources. The 49ers would save $3.108 million in salary cap space.

The club parted ways with outside linebacker Tully Banta-Cain and safety Keith Lewis. The 49ers plan to release injury-prone offensive tackle Jonas Jennings in the near future, sources close to the situation said.

Jennings has started just 23 games in four seasons since signing a seven-year, $36 million contract with the 49ers in 2005. He played in two games last season before sustaining a season-ending shoulder injury.

Jennings is scheduled to earn $4.2 million in base salary in 2009.

Jags release Jerry Porter and Drayton Florence(WR and CB!)

http://www.jacksonville.com/sports/f...orter_florence

The Jaguars parted ways today with their two high-profile free agents from a year ago, cutting receiver Jerry Porter and cornerback Drayton Florence two days after NFL teams were allowed to begin releasing players.

Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio confirmed the moves, which will save the club approximately $8.3 million in salary between the two players for 2009. Florence was scheduled to make $1.9 million in base salary in 2009, in addition to a $2.5 million roster bonus. Porter was due to make $1.9 million in base salary with a $2 million roster bonus.

Porter is a burner with deep speed,just had injury problems the last 2 years.Might be worth a look.

Florence is only 29,and has played in every game but 5 over the last 6 years.He is a solid #2 and was one of the Jags starting corners last year.Florence was signed to a big deal($13 million guaranteed last year) and it seems like that is why they cut him because they overpaid him and want to go younger.

Okay now, Bodden and Florence's agent should be on Ozzies speed dial today.

Blog Entries

I wouldnt touch Jerry Porter. The guy went to the Jags, who for all intents and purposes had little talent at the WR position, and he didnt even really start for them. His injury issues aside, he just didnt seem interested in really playing for the Jags. I wouldnt touch him at all. When Dennis Northcutt is getting the nod over you in some games you really have to scratch your head and ask why.

Drayton Florence could be interesting. I would still rather have Bodden though.

Saints | Patten released
    Thu, 12 Feb 2009 14:48:07 -0800

Larry Holder, of the Biloxi Sun-Herald, reports the New Orleans Saints have released WR David Patten.

Blog Entries

Not interested. He's older and smallish.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensFan19 View Post
    Not interested. He's older and smallish.
    Yep,he signed a decent FA deal with the Redskins and has been a disappointment ever since.

FALCONS’ BROOKING COULD BE ON CHOPPING BLOCK

Posted by Aaron Wilson on February 12, 2009, 7:01 p.m.

Atlanta Falcons veteran linebacker Keith Brooking is likely to be cut prior to February 23 when he’s due a $1 million roster bonus, Pro Football Weekly reports.

Per the article, which cites an anonymous source, the Falcons want to get faster at linebacker to upgrade the NFL’s 24th-ranked defense and are prepared to move on from Brooking, 33, a former Georgia Tech star who has played in Atlanta for the past 11 seasons.

Brooking has an $8.3 million salary cap figure for 2009. Brooking is unlikely to be retained by G.M. Thomas Dimitroff unless Brooking consents to a steep reduction in pay.

Naturally, Brooking isn’t convinced his play has declined and will look to play elsewhere if the Falcons cut ties with him.

According to NFL.com, Brooking has 972 career tackles, 17 sacks and 12 interceptions. He was credited with 102 tackles last season in 16 starts and has started every game for the past eight seasons.

Add another veteran ILB to the list who will want about 1/5 of what Ray is asking for and for a year or 2 instead of 5.

Its a long list.....

Zach Thomas-33 years old
    Keith Brooking-33 years old
    Takeo Spikes-32 years old
    Mike Peterson-31 yrs old
    Eric Barton-31 years old
    Andre Davis-30 years old
    Bart Scott-28 years old
    Jonathan Vilma-27 years old
    Karlos Dansby-27 years old
    Channing Crowder-26 yrs old

Blog Entries

If we are really in need of a ILB then I would totally go after Vilma, Dansby, or Crowder. Preferably Dansby.

The 49er's released Takeo Spikes? Would have thought they would want to keep him.