Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Offseason Moves

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Re: Offseason Moves

You guys are happy with a bunch of depth that couldn't manage 1 catch on a team with 2 WR options? Seriously? FIGURS GOT A CATCH. These guys couldn't get one between them. Flacco and Omar Gaither each had more catches at one each.

I think they are pretty high on the guy Smith. He must have been catching passes in practice because he did hold down the slot spot in the playoffs when they could have played Copper or Wheelwright, or some vet free agent type.
    Catches in practice are fine, if you can translate that into the game. Holding down the slot in the playoffs? Who was in the slot the last 10 games of the season? And the playoffs? I don't know who because their name wasn't mentioned once.

ZERO CATCHES! I have as many catches.

We need 2 WRs at least. We only have 2 proven, and that means counting Clayton as proven. I like Clayton but on past performance he can be counted on at best as a number 3.

Frankly, I am shocked anybody could look at the Ravens and not see the absolute need for a home run hitter at WR along with another Mason type possession guy. Let's also not forget Mason's age.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Again you just sade the 4-3 has more DL on the lien and better agaisn the run. I don't get how? You are taking someone OFF the line to move to a 3-4, as you have 3 Backers appreciably behind the LOS, instead of 2. The 3-4 could easily be called a 5-2. To move from a 3-4 to a 4-3 here, you would remove either Suggs or JJ from the LOS.

I don't see how it is better against the rin. The only advantage of the 4-3 i can see is pass rush on early downs with only 4 men, BUT ONLY IF YOU HAVE A MONSTER 4 MAN RUSH.
    It's better against the run because there are less OL'men to break off and block LB's. I see what you are saying about the 3-4 being a 5-2, especially with the way we run/ran it. It's a personal preference and both can be effective, if properly used. You would be moving Suggs off of the LOS, but that doesnt mean he wouldnt be involved against the run or against the pass in the flats. There are several variations of 4-3 that allow for 5 guys on the LOS at the same time, but with 4-3 personnel.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    You guys are happy with a bunch of depth that couldn't manage 1 catch on a team with 2 WR options? Seriously? FIGURS GOT A CATCH. These guys couldn't get one between them. Flacco and Omar Gaither each had more catches at one each.

Catches in practice are fine, if you can translate that into the game. Holding down the slot in the playoffs? Who was in the slot the last 10 games of the season? And the playoffs? I don't know who because their name wasn't mentioned once.

ZERO CATCHES! I have as many catches.

We need 2 WRs at least. We only have 2 proven, and that means counting Clayton as proven. I like Clayton but on past performance he can be counted on at best as a number 3.

Frankly, I am shocked anybody could look at the Ravens and not see the absolute need for a home run hitter at WR along with another Mason type possession guy. Let's also not forget Mason's age.

Happy? No. Satisfied? Sort of. I'd love to bring in a real elite talent. Past that, I don't seee a point in bringing in much besides camp fodder. If we can get a starting quality player, that already pushes Clayton to the slot and DWIl and Marcus Smith completely off the field. We haven't, we don't and we won't play more then three receivers regularly. That's plenty of depth.

Can't bring in an elite talent? Then I'm nto too worried. We need to give Flacco and these guys some work, get Flacco a season more comfortable and ready to spread the ball around. At least SOME of the fact that Smith didn't catch a ball had to do with the fact that Flacco was locked on to Mason and the backs.

So yes, I'm curious to see DWil and SMith fight for anywhere from a few to a few dozens passes thrown their way this upcoming season.
    Again, I can see brigning in one elite talent, but I don't see the room to play for more hten one guy. Bring in two guys and unless someone gets hurt, either Clayton, or a guy you jsut brought in will essentially never play. I don't see that as a good use of resources. We only need to be 3 players strong at WR. We simply need young moldable players past that.

Wow,does Greg not see the roster of CB's vs Wide receivers???

We have exactly ONE cornerback who is relaible,and that is the 1st priority easily.The talent level dropoff after Washington and Rolle(who Aaron says will be cut) drops off a CLIFF and at receiver we are 4 deep with a 3 young guys still improving.We have drafted a WR EVERY YEAR for the last 3 years,and who exactly have we drafted or aquired at CB??? Jack shit,thats what.Frank Walker?Evan Oglesby?Corey Ivey??

We have neglected the CB position long enoungh,and something needs to be done about it this offseason especially if they cut Rolle.

Teams spread us out,we are screwed.ONE guy gets hurt...we are screwed.

Also with the WR how many times do we run 3 WR sets??? Hardly ever.

How many times do teams force our garbage CB's on the field...ALL the time.

Blog Entries

Cam's offense calls for at least 3 WR's who can run solid routes and consistently catch the ball. Cam's offense also calls for these WR's to be bigger and stronger rather than faster.

So, getting WR depth is important. It is also important to try and bring in more than just 1 person at the WR spot because that still only leaves us 1 injury away from the same boat we were in last season. Clayton is not a starting WR. He is perfect for the slot. Mason needs someone else to command attention from opposing defenses. DWill has shown flashes of what he could become, but he cant stay on the field at all and he is very inconsistent as a WR. Marcus Smith has the tools to be good, but you have to keep in mind that last year was only his 2nd year playing WR. When he was in college he was a RB until his senior year. So, this coming season will be his 3rd as a WR. He was drafted for a reason.

I would be happy with 4 solid WR's across the board and 1 or 2 guys on the sidelines as depth.

We finally have a QB who can throw the ball and an OL who can give him time. It would be a shame to waste it and not give him the weapons to utilize his ability to throw the ball.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 52decleetzu View Post
    Wow,does Greg not see the roster of CB's vs Wide receivers???

We have exactly ONE cornerback who is relaible,and that is the 1st priority easily.The talent level dropoff after Washington and Rolle(who Aaron says will be cut) drops off a CLIFF and at receiver we are 4 deep with a 3 young guys still improving.We have drafted a WR EVERY YEAR for the last 3 years,and who exactly have we drafted or aquired at CB??? Jack shit,thats what.Frank Walker?Evan Oglesby?Corey Ivey??

We have neglected the CB position long enoungh,and something needs to be done about it this offseason especially if they cut Rolle.

Teams spread us out,we are screwed.ONE guy gets hurt...we are screwed.

Also with the WR how many times do we run 3 WR sets??? Hardly ever.

How many times do teams force our garbage CB's on the field...ALL the time.
    I agree. I am still pulling for a CB in round 1 and trying to get Leigh Bodden and someone else in FA. The depth at CB NEEDS to be addressed and it should be priority #1.

I see the 2nd priority being the WR spot though because Clayton and Mason are coming up on contract years and DWill won't be given an extension after this year unless he just has a break out year, which he could. Plus, Figurs really needs to step his game up if he wants to make the team this year. So, that would leave us with Marcus Smith and Justin Harper and Mark Clayton next off-season if we don't look to pick up some fresh legs at the WR spot this year. There are some real gems in the draft this year at the WR position and we should definitely take advantage of that.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensFan19 View Post
    Cam's offense calls for at least 3 WR's who can run solid routes and consistently catch the ball. Cam's offense also calls for these WR's to be bigger and stronger rather than faster.

So, getting WR depth is important. It is also important to try and bring in more than just 1 person at the WR spot because that still only leaves us 1 injury away from the same boat we were in last season. Clayton is not a starting WR. He is perfect for the slot. Mason needs someone else to command attention from opposing defenses. DWill has shown flashes of what he could become, but he cant stay on the field at all and he is very inconsistent as a WR. Marcus Smith has the tools to be good, but you have to keep in mind that last year was only his 2nd year playing WR. When he was in college he was a RB until his senior year. So, this coming season will be his 3rd as a WR. He was drafted for a reason.

I would be happy with 4 solid WR's across the board and 1 or 2 guys on the sidelines as depth.

We finally have a QB who can throw the ball and an OL who can give him time. It would be a shame to waste it and not give him the weapons to utilize his ability to throw the ball.
    We are currenty 4 deep at WR,how many deep are we at CB?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 52decleetzu View Post
    Yes, we are 4 deep right now, but DWill cant stay healthy and could not even be given an extension this year. Figurs is worthless as a WR and who knows if Marcus Smith can even be an NFL WR? He has the tools, but not the experience. That leaves us with 2 competent WR's on the roster and Clayton just absolutely disappears in a lot of games.

Again, there are a lot of WR's in this coming draft. The depth is really nice. There is solid talent throughout the draft pretty much, so it stands to reason that a WR will probably be a target of theirs.

That said, I am not disagreeing with you that we need CB's and we needed them yesterday. I don't want to be looking at Fabian Washington out there by himself with Frank Walker and Cory Ivy opposite of him. Thus, why I said I hope we are making a serious effort to get Leigh Bodden and any other CB that can pull his weight in here along with using the draft to get some guys.

You're reasoning for saying we have "4 guys" as WR's right now vs. 1 guy at the CB spot right now is true, but only to a point. You have to plan ahead otherwise you will be looking for stop-gap guys every year. Considering we have a QB now, not addressing a playmaker at the WR spot would be a big shame. Especially because there are so many in the draft this year.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

4 deep? Who are you counting. We only had 3 WRs catch balls last year and one of those was hurt in what, game 6? That left us 13 or so games counting playoffs with only 2 WRs catching balls. The 4th WR you are putting hope on couldn't catch a ball in 13+ games with a gaping hole in front of him to fill.

Maybe he has it and can be productive next year, but counting on that is lunacy.

We have one WR that is a legit starter and another who might be coming into his own as a starter. Beyond that we have question marks at best. Figurs has bricks for hands, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    4 deep? Who are you counting. We only had 3 WRs catch balls last year and one of those was hurt in what, game 6? That left us 13 or so games counting playoffs with only 2 WRs catching balls. The 4th WR you are putting hope on couldn't catch a ball in 13+ games with a gaping hole in front of him to fill.

Maybe he has it and can be productive next year, but counting on that is lunacy.

We have one WR that is a legit starter and another who might be coming into his own as a starter. Beyond that we have question marks at best. Figurs has bricks for hands, by the way.

How many times was someone other than Mason, Clayton, Heap or a back in the flats thrown to? You can get on a wr for drops, but there is nothing to evaluate if he is not thrown to. Demetrius Williams only had like 2 grabs a game, and it was not like there was a huge drop off of production in the passing game. Joe was moving the chains without throwing to the slot wr.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    How many times was someone other than Mason, Clayton, Heap or a back in the flats thrown to? You can get on a wr for drops, but there is nothing to evaluate if he is not thrown to. Demetrius Williams only had like 2 grabs a game, and it was not like there was a huge drop off of production in the passing game. Joe was moving the chains without throwing to the slot wr.
    Yes, but the point is that outside of Mason we have no legit starters on our roster. Clayton is way too streaky to be a starting guy. He comes up with 1 game where he goes over 100 yards receiving and a TD and then disappears for the next 2 or 3 weeks. I like Clayton a lot, but he is best suited for the slot position. If DWill could stay on the damn field he would probably be able to beat out Clayton as the #2 guy, but he cant stay on the field, so how can he be depended on? Furthermore, DWill has not shown the consistency you want in a #2 WR as well. Figurs can't seem to catch the ball and the fact that he is a weenie when it comes to kick returns and punt returns makes me like him even less because how can he be expected to go over the middle and make a tough grab with a CB draped all over him? Or with a Safety barreling down to smack him?

Marcus Smith has had 2 full seasons as a WR. Two. He was a running back prior to playing the WR spot his senior year at New Mexico St. He is a hard worker and of sound character, but this will only be his 3rd season as a WR. It's too risky to go into a season with a 35 year old #1 WR, 2 #3's, a guy who never played WR before, and a weenie.

WR should be addressed this draft as there are several solid choices all the way into the 4th and 5th rounds.

Not even mentioning the fact that Mason and Figurs have 1 year left on their contracts. Clayton has 2 and if DWill gets an extension it will likely only be for this year, so he would be gone next season as well leaving us with Clayton and Marcus Smith.

One reason this team ran so many 2 WR sets was because they lacked a 3rd guy.

Sure, Cameron played conseratively sometimes and max protected but it's pretty damn obvious that he had zero confidence and any WR besides Mason and Clayton once Williams went down.

Cameron voiced his displeasure with the WR corps as a whole during camp and it's gonna be addressed.

PP