Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Offseason Moves

Offseason Moves

I hope I dont see Ray Lewis in another uniform next year but if we dont resign him I hope we fill his spot with someone that can contribute early. We really need to address the cornerback position. Also a deep threat at wideout is must for us to improve from a great 2008 season!!

Re: Offseason Moves

Ya think?

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    Ya think?
    Easy now...he is new:celery
    Living in Houston, Tx....still living, eating, breathing the Ravens

Quote Originally Posted by B-MoreBigBoi View Post
    I hope I dont see Ray Lewis in another uniform next year but if we dont resign him I hope we fill his spot with someone that can contribute early. We really need to address the cornerback position. Also a deep threat at wideout is must for us to improve from a great 2008 season!!
    For a second post, this is a very good one.

We can improve the team in a lot of areas - and particularly in the areas you have mentioned. This time of year (before the draft) it always seems we are 'fire-fighting' and I HATE it.

Ok funny man! You act like since 2000 the Ravens havent made questionable personnell moves i.e Kyle Boller that hurt the franchise. My point is dont jump out the plane without your reserve.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by UKRaven View Post
    For a second post, this is a very good one.

We can improve the team in a lot of areas - and particularly in the areas you have mentioned. This time of year (before the draft) it always seems we are 'fire-fighting' and I HATE it.
    I tend to agree, but that's the product of having a salary cap. You can't be great in every facet of the team, the cap won't allow it. Because of that you've always got mediocre players that need to be replaced.

I find it kind of depressing, if I think about it too long. Last year it was DE, CB and QB. Now we've got our QB but we still need CB and DE, but we also need WR & TE on top.

It's not worth getting worked up over.

We can get the CB and WR this year. The DE can wait.

The only DE I think we can get is the guy from Georgia Tech. It will cost too much to get peppers and if the CB from Oakland hits the market I would rater have him as we can use Pryce this year with Gregg and Ngata.

Blog Entries

Michael Johnson? He would be pretty sweet as a pure rush-end, but out of the 3-4 would be tricky because I dont know that he is athletic enough to really be able to play a true 3-4 OLB. Unless Mattison changes some things around.

Personally, I think we have the perfect personnel in the front 7 to run a 4-3 and off-shoots of the 4-3.

RE - Jarrett Johnson
    DT - Ngata
    DT - Bannan
    LE - Pryce
    SLB - Suggs
    MLB - Ray (if he stays)
    WLB - Gooden

Then rotate Douglas and McKinney in on the DL. This also works well because Suggs out of a 4-3 DE stance is a nightmare for that OT that has to block him. Especially with Ngata and Bannan in the middle.

Then you rotate in Barnes, McClain, and Burgess at the LB spots.

Our strongest spot, right now assuming we wont be able to keep all 3 LB's, is our DL and in a 4-3 you can really maximize the talent on the field at one time by adding another DL'men, which ultimately will allow for more over-all speed at the LB spot. Not only that, but Pryce can line-up as a DT as well. So, if we do get a DE like Michael Johnson, who would thrive in a 4-3 DE coming out of a 3-pt stance, then we have a serious DL. I also think this would help generate more pressure on the QB's...especially if Mattison got creative with the whole bit.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Who would be our backup DE's? Answer, we have none, and JJ isn't really stout enough himself.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Who would be our backup DE's? Answer, we have none, and JJ isn't really stout enough himself.
    Are you joking?

In a 3-4, I wouldnt put JJ down as a DE because you want your 3-4 DE's to be large, bull-rushers, and mainly run-stuffers.

In a 4-3, you can afford to have lighter DE's because they incorporate more finesse skills to the position.

JJ is 6'3" and 270lbs. That's roughly the same size as Aaron Kampman, Justin Smith, Will Smith, Reggie Hayward, and some other pretty good 4-3 DE's in the league. He basically was a DE before Adalius Thomas left for the Pats, so I don't know where you are getting that he isn't "stout" enough. He's a big guy and is far better suited to be a 4-3 DE than a 3-4 OLB. He is an overachiever and has a high motor, which is why he is pretty successful as a 3-4 OLB, but talent wise and athletic capability really dictates that he would be much more comfortable as a pure 4-3 DE.

Back-up DE's could be Douglas and if Suggs really wants to play a DE in a 4-3 then that would also probably bump Pryce into the rotation of DE and DT. So, there is depth there. Obviously it would behoove us to start looking at younger DE's anyway because Pryce and Douglas are in their 30's.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

don't forget Kelly Gregg at dt.
    I see the Lions released that db Leigh Bolden? maybe we can steal him cheap. I kind of think we need a cb more than a receiver.

I think one reason we've used the 3-4 is the number of linebackers we've had come through (Burgess, Jameel McClain)...
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Quote Originally Posted by sailorsam View Post
    don't forget Kelly Gregg at dt.
    I see the Lions released that db Leigh Bolden? maybe we can steal him cheap. I kind of think we need a cb more than a receiver.

I think one reason we've used the 3-4 is the number of linebackers we've had come through (Burgess, Jameel McClain)...
    I think most fans are taking a wait and see approach to Gregg,that surgery he had is pretty serious especially for a big guy like Kelly.Not saying he cant come back,but it might be tough at his age and with that injury.

Lets hope for the best.