Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast

Re: Any McNair apologists still out there?

I think Boller has had enough opportunity to prove what he is capable of. A competition with McNair would be absurd and disrespectful to McNair, the Ravens organization, and to the fans.

So you're worried more about hurting the feelings of McNoodle than winning games?

Nice to know you're a fan.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, Hi Im Ben may I have a drink please?
    ProFootballMock

Please stop quoting Cleric "I bought a jersey" Dave.

I'm tired of reading guys talk about how much of a fan they were when they start negative threads every week. Why he has such a stick up his ass about McNair playing the majority of his career somewhere is is just as dumb. Perhaps signing Shanon Sharpe and Rod Woodson were mistakes since they have retired as a Bronco and Steeler respectively.

I'm tired of reading guys talk about how much of a fan they were when they start negative threads every week.
    Talk to your boys Tex, Fade, Poe and CR. They've been posting threads bashing Boller for how long now? But you're going to call out Dave for doing the same thing? That's total crap.

I don't agree with everything Dave says, but I can promise that he wasn't cheering when McNoodle got hurt.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, Hi Im Ben may I have a drink please?
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    Talk to your boys Tex, Fade, Poe and CR. They've been posting threads bashing Boller for how long now? But you're going to call out Dave for doing the same thing? That's total crap.

I don't agree with everything Dave says, but I can promise that he wasn't cheering when McNoodle got hurt.
    1. I may have started 1 or 2 threads that even had Boller in the topic. How about some "proof" to back your statement up?

2. I've been steadfast in my opinion of Boller. I don't talk out of both sides of my mouth. I don't think he's got what it takes to be a legit QB in this league.

3. It's fairly obvious what you are getting at when you bring up cheering when McNair got hurt. You can believe what you want, but I absolutely didn't cheer at all when Boller went down vs Indy. Feel free to ask anyone who sits near me during every game. I know you'd like to believe that everyone who thinks Boller stinks cheered when he went down, but they didn't.

PP

1) any real QB isn't going to worry about having some competition in training camp. Look at Pentington in New York. He just led them to 10-6 but he's going to have to compete. Why?

Because like McNair, his physical attributes, i.e. his arm are a limitation, and a team that can keep the short crap in front of them and stop them from moving the chains with the dink and dunk can slow/shut their offense down. So Kellen Clemens will get a shot

2) Can we worry about whats best for the team as opposed to what best for Steve McNair? Steve McNair is old enough and established enough not to have some form of competition, even if its not official or open, not crack him.

As a matter of fact, it might actually light a lil fire under McNair's ass and get him to take some effective shots down the field.

As I've said a number of times, its seems like when he cares (i.e. when its 4th quarter or when the team is sevely down like in Tenessee) that McNair looks better. The ice in the veins BS is what i've come to hate.

What I hate to see is McNair continue to do this checkdown shit for 3 quarters so long as we're not down by more than a posession.

Our defense shouldn't have to hold its breath until the 4th quarter. We should do what we did to pittsburg every day.

In any case, we'll see what the team does about Boller's contract. If he goes into next season w/o an extension, we know what the FO thinks, or perhaps that if they offered a shortterm extension that Boller would rather have a change of scenery.

But even if he goes in w/o an extension, and is basically done with the Ravens, if McNair goes down for any sizable ammount of time and Boller plays well, you're still looking at a re-evaluation

McNair is only the guaranteed "solution" for next year at best. And we'll see if he can lead us to a playoff victory. I won't be holding my breath.

And for the record, I do think that at home Boller wins taht game against Indy. His home record is impressive and he takes more chances downfield that McHasBeen, something you need to do against a Cover 2.

Nice, a new nickname bashing McNair.

Remember the shitstorm that caused when people made up names for Boller? Some got banned and the board mods actually prevented certain words from coming up on the screen.

But I guess bashing McNair with nicknames is perfectly fine, right?

Hypocrisy at its finest.

Even though there won't be a competition, I'd be fine with it. McNair will be the starter either way.

PP

McNair probably would be fine with a competition. The rest of the team, that celebrated McNair's arrival, would think it was a joke, and they'd be right.

Say what you want, a qb who leads his team to a 13-3 record does not get benched the following year in favor of a quarterback who does not have a track record of winning.

It's not a question of raw talent, it's not a question of which one has superior technical skills or is more suited to a certain type of defense (though I disagree that throwing downfield is a preferred strategy against a cover 2). It's a question of which one was under center during the bulk of the snaps this year, when we went 13-3.

If you think Boller has superior skills, you may say, that's not fair, because Boller was saddled with crappy pass protection, butterfingered receivers, and the occasional injury. And you'd be right! It's not fair. But it's football.

I would be perfectly happy to see Boller extended, so he can hang around as a future backup or even starter, should he prove our best option when the time comes.

But you don't bench a quarterback who just led the team to 13-3. And if you're not going to bench him, then you're not going to have a competition, because the competition is either (a) a farce or (b) a lie, depending on who "wins."
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by ClericBlackDave View Post

And for the record, I do think that at home Boller wins taht game against Indy. His home record is impressive and he takes more chances downfield that McHasBeen, something you need to do against a Cover 2.
    Like this one:
    2005 home game against INDY

Hmmm... looking at the stats, doesn't seem like Boller took too many shots downfield. Did he even throw a TD pass? Oh, and save the reciever excuse, he had Mason, Clayton, and Heap.

Hell, Boller didn't play the whole game, so let's use a game he played full against INDY:
    2004 game against INDY

It took Boller until the 4th quarter to get a TD.

Yeah, I'm not seeing where Boller wins this game against INDY because of your opinion of him taking shots down the field. Does Billick use a totally different gameplan than he usually does? Does Billick all of the sudden release the reigns off of Boller, even though Boller has had his fair share of struggles?
    Season over, guess I'll have to start drinking beer again...

Quote Originally Posted by copenhaggard View Post
    Does Billick all of the sudden release the reigns off of Boller, even though Boller has had his fair share of struggles?
    While I agree with most of your post, Copenhaggard, I actually think the answer to this one is "yes." Rex adjusts his game plan to take advantage of the personnel he has available on defense. Shouldn't the OC/HC adjust his plays for his own personnel? Don't you think 2 qb's with two dramatically different strengths/weaknesses will see 2 different sets of plays called in from the sideline?

Not taking up for CBD, just interested in this one little point. . .
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Hmmm... looking at the stats, doesn't seem like Boller took too many shots downfield

In 2005 He took 2 deep shots early that were accurate and on the money but thrown to Clarence Moore who then coughed them up for INTs. (Don't ever ask me why Billick would start Moore over Clayton.) Then Boller got injured by our sorry o-line.

Never said Boller has superior skills.

But I think you play to your ceiling, and you play to win, and not via martyball or billickball. Thats where whatever love for McNair acquisition ended for me.

I support, and will support, McNair as he's our starting QB until further notice.

But they we're playing right now, I'd have rather stuck with Dilfer at QB.

We should be exploding down the field with the weapons we have, and considering that our O-line isn't giving up sacks anymore (finally)

I was expecting McNair to put up the multi-TD games to make this team a juggernaut. And multi-TD before the 4th quarter here.

Last year against the Bengals, the Vikes, the Packers, etc I saw the potential that our personel has if the QB gets teh ball down teh field. This team could score at will.

But McNair's armstrength is a bottleneck, as is his seeming inability to turn on the juice before the 4th quarter. I question his passion.

I want this team to put up points and win. Competition can only help that, basically everyone in the league sans Brady and Manning compete in some capacity. I can't see that hurting McNair. I doesn't have to be an open competition, you can say McNair is the starter, but say show us what you got.

We'll see what the Bears do with Grossman at QB this sunday, I believe that Lovie Smith is playing Grossman 1) for the hope that he's the franchise 2) because he has the highest ceiling for that team

Quote Originally Posted by ClericBlackDave View Post

Never said Boller has superior skills.
    Agreed but he wins at home. Given that we lost our playoff game at home he seems to be the logical choice to start

But I think you play to your ceiling, and you play to win, and not via martyball or billickball. Thats where whatever love for McNair acquisition ended for me.
    Right me too. A ceiling of 13-3 is high but for whever reason in the playoff we were playing as if we were playing in a crawl space. Boller would have open shit up for us.

I support, and will support, McNair as he's our starting QB until further notice.

But they we're playing right now, I'd have rather stuck with Dilfer at QB.
    This is true too. A weak armed QB isnt going to get it done. Boller has shown time again(in the last few games it appears that he is ready and dont give me that ball bouncing off people argument). We just need to see him prove it at training camp. He may be able to take over at QB after sitting on the bench.

We should be exploding down the field with the weapons we have, and considering that our O-line isn't giving up sacks anymore (finally)
    The system has changed for the better, and its all because of Billick. Boller should be able to take advantage of OL enhanced play calling simply because he is younger and more athletic

I was expecting McNair to put up the multi-TD games to make this team a juggernaut. And multi-TD before the 4th quarter here.
    *Sigh* me too. We got duped here

Last year against the Bengals, the Vikes, the Packers, etc I saw the potential that our personel has if the QB gets teh ball down teh field. This team could score at will.
    I like to think we saw the potential by the Houston game. He really found a rythem and hasnt looked back since.

I want this team to put up points and win. Competition can only help that, basically everyone in the league sans Brady and Manning compete in some capacity. I can't see that hurting McNair. I doesn't have to be an open competition, you can say McNair is the starter, but say show us what you got.

No doubt Competition will help the team but for Boller to emerge not only does he have to play well he has to have the confidence of the offensive players that he can carry the team on his shoulders much the same way Mcnair did when he came riding in at the beginning of the season

-->^78F$09U&67D!45A#54R87B)89V<--

I may have started 1 or 2 threads that even had Boller in the topic
    Now you have already admitted that you don't think Boller is a good QB so you're not about to tell me those were threads saying how good Boller is, are you?
    I don't talk out of both sides of my mouth.
    Uh-huh. You're the biggest hypocrite I've ever had the displeasure of talking to.
    3. It's fairly obvious what you are getting at when you bring up cheering when McNair got hurt. You can believe what you want, but I absolutely didn't cheer at all when Boller went down vs Indy.
    Guilty conscious there? Really didn't expect someone like you to have one of those but hey, I do like to be surprised.
    I actually wasn't refering directly to you four with that statement. It was for Haters in general.

Remember the shitstorm that caused when people made up names for Boller? Some got banned and the board mods actually prevented certain words from coming up on the screen.

But I guess bashing McNair with nicknames is perfectly fine, right?

Hypocrisy at its finest.
    Now Poe I know you're smarter than this. Wait, no I don't. I'm pretty muched convinced you're an idiot.
    Last edited by Admin Steve; 01-31-2007 at 06:46 PM.
    ProFootballMock

Now I get to talk to someone I don't despise. Goody.
    Say what you want, a qb who leads his team to a 13-3 record does not get benched the following year in favor of a quarterback who does not have a track record of winning.
    How many games did we lose with Dilfer?

And yeah, the situations are comparable. Dilfer wasn't resigned after leading (I say leading because a lot of people seem to think McNair was the only reason we went 13-4) this team to a SuperBowl.

We've already agreed that McNair was the best choice this year, given his experience, but we don't know about next year yet. The best QB should start. Now people have already started taking up sides in the "contest" but the level headed ones need to be able to get behind which ever QB gives us the best chance to win. If Boller lights it up in the preseason and proves to be the best man for the job, then I would hope most Ravens fans would get behind him and Steve helps tutor the kid. If McNair shows his old form then I hope Boller continues to play back-up like he did this year.

I will point out that I'm on the Boller-should-start side.
    ProFootballMock

Blog Entries

Let's clean it up guys please.
    Admin Steve
    Screwing up Ravens message boards since 1999.