Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Re: Any McNair apologists still out there?

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    You knew this was coming as soon as we lost.

Some people hyped themselves so much about this last game that they felt entitled and that this Ravens team was practically ordained to win.

How in the hell were we so much better than a team that had one stinkin more loss than us with a tougher schedule? Our running game has been mediocre/bad all year against bad run defenses, but everybody wanted to turn a blind eye to that. While everybody was shitting their pants about the completely undisciplined and overrated Bengals (for all their recent praise, they have had one winning season since Marvin has been there), the Colts were virtually a carbon copy...only with more and better offensive weapons, more discipline and a better coach and slightly worse run defense (but much better against the pass).

McNair stunk, no if and's or but's about it, but some of these threads and comments about us cutting him or having him compete with Boller are just making me :grbac:

We are not cutting McNair, there will be no competition and Boller is likely on his way out of the door after next year with us drafting a young QB to groom unless some extreme circumstance arises. This team will revolt if they turn their back on a guy who gave this offense as much productivity as we've seen here because of 2 bad games everybody wants to bitch about. The numbers don't lie...if we got the production out of McNair and the offense after Fassell was fired for all 16 games, we have the number 7 ranked offense...without a consistant/effeciant running game.

Some of the things I've read are baffling. I've read some people actually say that you combat a cover 2 by throwing deep. WTF...are you kidding me? The cover 2 is designed to primarily take AWAY the deep passes by dropping the safeties...and in the Tampa 2 that Indy runs, the MLB deep. You beat the Colts defense by running the ball...something that we strangely abandoned when we got it working well...not launching bombs. I've heard people calling for Billick to get fired (who didn't know that was coming either). I even heard one guy actually complain about the defense!

Look, we all are upset and frustrated, but take a deep breath and realize that nobody but the biggest homers thought we would have had the season that we had. We have a lot to look forward to...IMHO, all we have to do is find a way to get the Running game averaging over 4 ypc again consistantly and we are back in the thick of things next year.
    Quit making sense!! ;) We're all still venting!!

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    You knew this was coming as soon as we lost.

Some people hyped themselves so much about this last game that they felt entitled and that this Ravens team was practically ordained to win.

How in the hell were we so much better than a team that had one stinkin more loss than us with a tougher schedule? Our running game has been mediocre/bad all year against bad run defenses, but everybody wanted to turn a blind eye to that. While everybody was shitting their pants about the completely undisciplined and overrated Bengals (for all their recent praise, they have had one winning season since Marvin has been there), the Colts were virtually a carbon copy...only with more and better offensive weapons, more discipline and a better coach and slightly worse run defense (but much better against the pass).

McNair stunk, no if and's or but's about it, but some of these threads and comments about us cutting him or having him compete with Boller are just making me :grbac:

We are not cutting McNair, there will be no competition and Boller is likely on his way out of the door after next year with us drafting a young QB to groom unless some extreme circumstance arises. This team will revolt if they turn their back on a guy who gave this offense as much productivity as we've seen here because of 2 bad games everybody wants to bitch about. The numbers don't lie...if we got the production out of McNair and the offense after Fassell was fired for all 16 games, we have the number 7 ranked offense...without a consistant/effeciant running game.

Some of the things I've read are baffling. I've read some people actually say that you combat a cover 2 by throwing deep. WTF...are you kidding me? The cover 2 is designed to primarily take AWAY the deep passes by dropping the safeties...and in the Tampa 2 that Indy runs, the MLB deep. You beat the Colts defense by running the ball...something that we strangely abandoned when we got it working well...not launching bombs. I've heard people calling for Billick to get fired (who didn't know that was coming either). I even heard one guy actually complain about the defense!

Look, we all are upset and frustrated, but take a deep breath and realize that nobody but the biggest homers thought we would have had the season that we had. We have a lot to look forward to...IMHO, all we have to do is find a way to get the Running game averaging over 4 ypc again consistantly and we are back in the thick of things next year.
    Very good post, RaveninWoodlawn.

If I were the Ravens, this is what I'd tell McNair to do:
    1) Go get whatever surgeries, rehab, whatever done this offseason.
    2) STUDY THE COVER 2 UNTIL YOUR EYES BLEED.

More and more teams are going to put the cover 2 on the Ravens if McNair can't play it.

Amazing how many of you just dont see the big picture. With out McNair we never would have had the chance to be in that game.

Quote Originally Posted by section553 View Post
    Amazing how many of you just dont see the big picture. With out McNair we never would have had the chance to be in that game.

I BLEED RAVEN PURPLE!!!

I purposely waited a few days to post on this thread because of the negative feelings about the game. RaveninWoodlawn hit it right on. I for one cant wait to see McNair next year with a full offseason working with this offense. He was everthing I hoped he would be this year (minus Saturday of course) and stayed healthy to boot. Props to Mac9.

Quote Originally Posted by deuce View Post
    I He was everthing I hoped he would be this year (minus Saturday of course) and stayed healthy to boot. Props to Mac9.
    Umm, the only problem there is you can't subtract Saturday from the season! McNair had a solid year but in the most important game of the season, he laid an egg, plain and simple. And I thought that's why he was brought here, to win these types of games.

Look, I like the guy, I'm glad he's here, but even he would admit he sucked in this game, so let's stop making excuses for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephy View Post
    If I were the Ravens, this is what I'd tell McNair to do:
    2) STUDY THE COVER 2 UNTIL YOUR EYES BLEED.

More and more teams are going to put the cover 2 on the Ravens if McNair can't play it.
    Either that or something similarly passive, if they don't have the personnel for the Cover 2.

That said we shouldn't have anything to fear *if* the FO finds a way to fix the running game with the right personnel moves (or non-moves).

It seems like every year someone or other steps up unexpectedly and I find myself thinking, how could the FO possibly have known how well this would turn out. This year it seemed like just about everything from Steve McNair to Adam Terry & Trevor Pryce to Dawan Landry.

This offseason I hope Ozzie points the magic wand at our running game.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

gonna sound absurd, but in the big picture, how much does one season of football matter in our lives?

Quote Originally Posted by Canuckofithaca View Post
    gonna sound absurd, but in the big picture, how much does one season of football matter in our lives?
    Well, let's see how it might have impacted Brian Billick's career. A coach with TWO SB's is almost guaranteed a ticket to the HOF. A coach with ONE SB victory...hmmmmmmmmm...

GO RAVENS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post
    Umm, the only problem there is you can't subtract Saturday from the season! McNair had a solid year but in the most important game of the season, he laid an egg, plain and simple. And I thought that's why he was brought here, to win these types of games.

Look, I like the guy, I'm glad he's here, but even he would admit he sucked in this game, so let's stop making excuses for him.
    RACK IT!

Quote Originally Posted by General Lee 01 View Post
    i can't believe some of you want boller in there instead of mac 9. if we would have won the game, you'd all be calling him the savior of the team like everyone did when we were winning during the season. it's startin to sound like a redskins board in here, stop all the whinin. we lost, it sucks, but you can't put the game on one player. mcnair will be back next year and we'll have a helluva season, stop all the cryin and bitchin.
    i was thinkin the same. why would anybody on god's green earth want, boller in instead of Air McNair? yeah we blew it, but we had a great season non the less, expect steve 2 bounce back and have another solid season with the ravens.