Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Re: REASONS FOR THE LOSS (AKA, the Blame Game)

Quote Originally Posted by skaybaltimore View Post
    And your point is...?
    I think his point is that you can make a point without insulting board members who have a different opinion than your own -- how complicated is that?

Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post
    I think his point is that you can make a point without insulting board members who have a different opinion than your own -- how complicated is that?
    Sounds pretty simple to me.

GO RAVENS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sailorsam View Post
    whom to blame for the loss?
    1) McNair. made no plays, didn't look sharp, some pics.
    2) O Line. average running holes, some protection breakdowns.
    3) Jamal. has lost a step.
    4) Coach Billick as OC. uninspired game plan, never got a rhythm.

or was the Indy defense that good?
    plain and simple, we lost because we had no offense. the defense played solid enough. who would of thought that the mighty offense of the colts, and manning would not score a TD, and make 5 field goals

No - we lost because the OC called the wrong plays. Amore balanced attack in the 2nd half wins that game.

Totally gave up on the run in the 2nd half when we were only down by 6 - inexcusable.

Quote Originally Posted by terpsnoone View Post
    No - we lost because the OC called the wrong plays. Amore balanced attack in the 2nd half wins that game.

Totally gave up on the run in the 2nd half when we were only down by 6 - inexcusable.
    Well then...that won't happen again next year because we now have a new OC, so we WON'T GET FOOLED AGAIN!

(OH....wait a second...the new OC won't actually have the authority to call the offensive plays. "MEET THE NEW BOSS...SAME AS THE OLD BOSS".)

GO RAVENS!!!

6. Re: REASONS FOR THE LOSS (AKA, the Blame Game)

I can't believe some people here are calling out Jamal for his play in the game. When you average four yards a carry, you're getting it done in the NFL. But when you only get 13 carries, that's just wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Fletchterps View Post
    I can't believe some people here are calling out Jamal for his play in the game. When you average four yards a carry, you're getting it done in the NFL. But when you only get 13 carries, that's just wrong.
    Fortunately, very few people are laying the blame on JL. He had probably one of his best games of the year -- at least in the first half. Then, he got very few touches after that. And I think most people understand that going AWAY from the run is what caused the problems for the offense.

GO RAVENS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by skaybaltimore View Post
    And I think most people understand that going AWAY from the run is what caused the problems for the offense.
    That, and 2 picks, and 2 fumbles. And inaccurate passing. Overall I agree with Tony Lombardi's report card, including both his assessment of McNair and Billick as OC.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    That, and 2 picks, and 2 fumbles. And inaccurate passing. Overall I agree with Tony Lombardi's report card, including both his assessment of McNair and Billick as OC.
    Yep. Lombardi nailed it.

(And yet, reading his article, I think he gave the perfect definition of a "play not to lose" coach in Billick. So if you agree with that article, I still don't understand what it is about that "play not to lose" label that you don't get.)

Some people seem to mean, 'playing conservatively.' Most of the time people talk about coacing bland, vanilla, not to lose, as far as I can tell what they mean is 'coaching in a game where you lose,' which is how I believe you were using it, and still do.

To be fair to Billick, besides complaining about his failure as OC in this game, he gets full props for his fine work all year. Not just as coach, but as OC. I know you disagree, but while we are on the subject of TL's remarks on the game, I point you to his responses to letter writers here, in which he looks backward at BB's performance over the whole season.
    Last edited by festivus; 01-17-2007 at 12:32 PM. Reason: fix link
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Here is a direct quote from the article you yourself posted. Just read it, and, as far as I'm concerned, it -- along with Billick's shitty clock management -- defines what I'm talking about as far as a coach who is AFRAID to play an aggressive -- and SMART -- offense. (I am NOT advocating reckless abandon or Air Coryell -- just proper use of personnel.)

In the passing game, Billick chose not to test Dungy’s Cover 2 despite Bob Sanders’ cheating up inside the box. Billick doesn’t seem to trust his offensive talent and is hesitant to challenge a defense. As a result, it makes it more difficult for Billick’s offense to execute within its comfort zone which is obviously from the line of scrimmage and out 15 yards.

And you're right -- I do NOT agree that BB had a great entire season. I think he didn't do SHIT to properly prepare our team -- physically OR mentally -- against Cinci IN Cinci -- OR make ANY necessary adjustments at half time. I think he did NOT prepare well for the Buffalo game either. And I think, looking back, it's the DEFENSE and Rex Ryan who deserve the props again. I think Billick UNDERUTILIZED Mike Anderson, and it wasn't even until later in the year that Billick realized the value of Ovie Mughelli. Maybe if he'd understood his own personnel better, the outcomes in some of our other losses might have been different as well.

GO RAVENS!!!

Jim Fassell used Mike Anderson plenty. We looked a lot better on offense after BB took over.
    Festivus