Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

FA Possibilities Thread

While I don't expect us to be significantly involved in the FA market this offseason, it still wouldn't hurt to discuss some FA possibilities amongst us fans. We could also provide some info (scouting reports) on possible FAs.

We already talked about Eric Steinbach, but what about this guy (courtesy KFFL):

Chargers | Dielman could be set to leave
    Wed, 17 Jan 2007 07:09:20 -0800

Kevin Acee, of the San Diego Union-Tribune, reports San Diego Chargers OG Kris Dielman could leave as a free agent this offseason. Contract talks between Dielman and the team broke off in November, and Dielman figures to receive many lucrative offers once he become a free agent in March.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Re: FA Possibilities Thread

this is a great place to check out and play around with:
    http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/nfl/freeagents.html

QB: all backupy
    UFA:Garcia, Huard
    RFA: schaub

RB: Old guys, or RFAs...
    UFA: Ahman Green Chris Brown
    RFA: Michael Turner

WR: #3 guys is about it
    UFA: Drew Bennett, Kevin Curtis, Kelley Washington

TE: TE crop is good...but we don't need one, we've got 3 solid guys.
    UFA: Eric Johnson, Daniel Graham, Jerramy Stevens

OL:
    UFA: Steinbach, Mike Gandy, Todd Steussie
    RFA: Max Starks

DL:
    UFA: Freeney, Vonnie Holliday, Justin Smith

LB:
    UFA: Lance Briggs, London Fletcher

DB:
    UFA: Asante Samuel, Nate Clements, Deon Grant, Nick Harper

OK, looking down the list...not too many interesting things going on.

Steinbach jumps out as someone we could use long term that is a serious upgrade as well.

WRs it's a matter of Mason returning and/or draft. Probably won't sign one of those #3 WRs.

RBs, there just isn't anything, turner's not worth a 1st unless there is some negotiation, but even so, draft may prove better if you can get Lynch or a healthy Bush.

For defense, Briggs, AD, Samuel are going to go for top top dollar...doubt we grab someone on D through free agency.

At any rate, looking like Steinbach could be a real option. Gandy, if he can play RT, might be a way to replace Pashos if we have problems there.

QB: Someone will take one last stab at Huard and Garcia for starting roles I reckon, especially with Brohm electing to go back introducing a cavernous gap between Quinn and Russel to the #3 QB whoever that turns out to be.

If someone gives up what Atlanta wants for Schaub they should be openly taunted and ridiculed.

TB: Brown and Green are split carry type guys. Can see the Jets or Giants giving up a bit to get Burner Turner potentially.

WR: Bennett and Curtis are above #3 type. Bennett could be a very good pickup for someone and Curtis will either go back to St Louis to succeed Bruce as the #2 to Holt or Martz will force Millen's hand to bring him to Detroit.

G: Steinbach is a real possibility and I've heard from a Bungle fan or two that he is not a priority guy to re-sign in Cincy apparently, definately someone to look into.

T: Pass on all of those other than solid backup types, I'll take Pashos and Terry as our tackles next year if Ogden does indeed retire.

CB: Samuel and Clements will attract big big big bucks. Will be interesting to see whether the Pats actually pay Samuel. They didn't pay Law but then he was getting on, Samuel is young and is really a very very good CB, reads plays well and has excellent closing speed. Clements is apparently the Redskins #1 off-season target so he'll be attracting silly money.

I guess i should have said they'd be #3ish for our team, but yes, Curtis and Bennett better than that.

Going to be an interesting year with some teams having lots to burn.

Briggs, AD, Samuel, Clements are going to get crazy offers from teams like the 49ers with tons of money to spare that need leaders on D

Redskins want clements? ....that's funny. Danny-boy's got to buy someone I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRaven View Post
    Redskins want clements? ....that's funny. Danny-boy's got to buy someone I guess.
    Oh absolutely, wouldn't be an off-season without saDan spunking a bunch o' money on someone.

What about a possible run at Freeney if we lose AD? He had a down year so he could probably be had for cheaper then everyone originally thought. Move Suggs back to LB and you have a great front 7. Maybe even better than what it was with AD.

Quote Originally Posted by TTRaven View Post
    What about a possible run at Freeney if we lose AD? He had a down year so he could probably be had for cheaper then everyone originally thought. Move Suggs back to LB and you have a great front 7. Maybe even better than what it was with AD.
    No way Colts let him free, even if they don't get a multi-year deal done they will franchise him.

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRaven View Post
    this is a great place to check out and play around with:
    http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/nfl/freeagents.html

QB: all backupy
    UFA:Garcia, Huard
    RFA: schaub

RB: Old guys, or RFAs...
    UFA: Ahman Green Chris Brown
    RFA: Michael Turner

WR: #3 guys is about it
    UFA: Drew Bennett, Kevin Curtis, Kelley Washington

TE: TE crop is good...but we don't need one, we've got 3 solid guys.
    UFA: Eric Johnson, Daniel Graham, Jerramy Stevens

OL:
    UFA: Steinbach, Mike Gandy, Todd Steussie
    RFA: Max Starks

DL:
    UFA: Freeney, Vonnie Holliday, Justin Smith

LB:
    UFA: Lance Briggs, London Fletcher

DB:
    UFA: Asante Samuel, Nate Clements, Deon Grant, Nick Harper

OK, looking down the list...not too many interesting things going on.

Steinbach jumps out as someone we could use long term that is a serious upgrade as well.

WRs it's a matter of Mason returning and/or draft. Probably won't sign one of those #3 WRs.

RBs, there just isn't anything, turner's not worth a 1st unless there is some negotiation, but even so, draft may prove better if you can get Lynch or a healthy Bush.

For defense, Briggs, AD, Samuel are going to go for top top dollar...doubt we grab someone on D through free agency.

At any rate, looking like Steinbach could be a real option. Gandy, if he can play RT, might be a way to replace Pashos if we have problems there.
    Don't worry, the crop always get's better after the cap casualties and guys who get cut after the drafting of younger cheaper replacements.
    The Steelers: Still looking for a legit Super Bowl victory.

I want Michael "the Burner" Turner I don't care if he costs us a 1st.

He averaged 6.3 yards a carry this year

Jamal averaged 3.6 yards a carry

Turner=Height: 5-10, Weight: 237
    Jamal=Height: 5-11 Weight: 245

And he had 80 carries in a backup role. I like Turner, but lets not twist stats to prove a point.

Quote Originally Posted by F Angelos View Post
    Don't worry, the crop always get's better after the cap casualties and guys who get cut after the drafting of younger cheaper replacements.
    With so many teams having tons of cap space, I think you'll be seeing far fewer guys cut for cap reasons. They may still be cut for lack of performance reasons, but most teams will not need to cut guys to create cap space.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens0587 View Post
    I want Michael "the Burner" Turner I don't care if he costs us a 1st.
    I don't see the Ravens making a play for Turner. Not only would it cost them their 1st round (at least), but they would also have to sign him to a sizeable contract as well.

Given how tight it already appears the cap will be, I'm not sure they could afford that kind of deal.

Assuming the Ravens trust their eye for talent - and they should - I would expect that they would draft a RB to replace Jamal. Think about it, if they use that 1st round pick to do so, their new RB will come a lot - a lot - cheaper over the next 5 years than if they traded the pick for Turner and then signing him to a long-term deal.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap