Punter 'flop' flag

Not for the first time we saw a (Steelers) punter take to the floor like he'd be mown down with a combine harvester - when in fact he'd not been touched :liar: . The ref, of course, threw the flag in his favour.

My questions are:
    Can the official throw a flag for 'un-sportsmanlike conduct' on the kicker if he sees (contradiction I know) that player take a dive?

Is there an NFL ruling? What is / should the penalty be?

It's happening a bit more in soccer theses days, where attackers who clearly dive get booked, and give away a free-kick for their troubles.

Did that give the opposition the right to smack the punter later a game ( once the game is lost of course) for being a cheating little b$%tard? I most certainly would! :celery

Re: Punter 'flop' flag

I think it's a delay of game penalty, though I could be wrong.

It's something all punters and kickers are coached up to do. Sucks but refs are always going to protect QBs and kickers.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Blog Entries

I know it's against the rules in NCAA, we use those rules in the BAFL and it got called in a game against us a couple of years ago:

NCAA Rulebook:
    b. A kicker or holder simulating being roughed or run into by a defensive
    player commits an unsportsmanlike act (A.R. 9-1-4-V).
    PENALTY—15 yards from the previous spot [S27].

Thanks Lee V.

How did your season go?

Blog Entries

should and will are two very different words...The NFL isn't going to reverse a penalty like that even if it's clear it didn't happen, and I doubt they'll flag anyone for going down to make it look like they had, they'd just let them look stupid, or fine them afterwards.

The answer is yes - feigning roughing is a unsportsmanlike conduct foul. Enforcement is 15 yds. and disqualification if the action is flagrant.

Rule 12, Section 3, Article 1, subsection t.
    Pg. 87 of the '06 rulebook, Pg. 95 of the following link
    http://blogmedia.thenewstribune.com/...20RULEBOOK.pdf

Thanks Warrior - we know it's probably never going to happen, but I'd love to see a punter pulled for it!

Does the matter give the opposition the right to smack 'im one the next time?

Blog Entries

Berger didn't look like he was trying to take a dive, he just lost his balance and the refs stupidly said that Jones fell into him. I'd fault him for not saying anything to the contrary, but he didn't seem to play it up or anything.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Berger didn't look like he was trying to take a dive.
    I have a memory of him doing it before! I can not remember against whom, but I'm pretty sure he's done a 'dying swan'. (May have even been the SB)

Bad calls went for and against us this season.

PunterFlopGate was just one of many.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Berger didn't look like he was trying to take a dive, he just lost his balance and the refs stupidly said that Jones fell into him. I'd fault him for not saying anything to the contrary, but he didn't seem to play it up or anything.
    O yes it did. I was screaming at the tv that it was no contact when it happened before he hit the ground.