Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Is a new starting TE on your wish list?

Drew on his show Monday was talking about the possibility of Wilcox hanging it up for good. He said he was pretty much broken down. That may be why you didn't see him in many 2 TE sets this year.

Edit: Right after I posted this I saw this in the Sun.

"Tight end Daniel Wilcox said he contemplated retirement while rehabilitating his sprained left big toe. "Even now, I'm still in a lot of pain," he said. "But I know in my heart, I just really need some time to heal. … I'm definitely coming back next year."

So there ya go.

My issue with Heap is that he's dropped a couple big passes this year. But he's also caught a couple big passes too. He's not the Heap we've seen in years past, but he's also been doing a LOT of blocking this year. I think next year we'll see him back to form a bit. Not to his first couple years, but there is no reason he can't be as good at his age as other TE's his age.

Quinn Sypnewski is the X-factor we should look at in camp. I was sorry to see him go down on IR this year, and I'm hoping that gives him fresh legs for next year. I liked him in 2007, and I thought he caught the ball pretty well.

Get some 2 TE sets and a speedy receiver for Flacco, and our pass attack will be just fine.
    Last edited by StingerNLG; 01-20-2009 at 06:05 PM.

Wilcox might be back in the NFL, but it's not gonna be as a Raven IMO.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by Ravensarge View Post
    When Stph? is back, HE will be the blocking TE and you'll see Heap freed up in a 2 TE set! Good God...get real!
    exactly what i was thinking. but, i liked quinn a lot, we can use him for receiving purposes as well. he seemed to look like another heap the one year he had to fill the role. he made catches on third down and had good hands. all you need from a TE, especially one you aren't paying a lot for

I'm noty even opposed to taking Pettigrew late in the first round if MANY other options are already gone. Heap was a major letdown as a whole this year, and IMO that money could be better spent elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    We already have that guy on our roster. His name is Quinn Sypniewski.

Look for him to have a breakout year. He will complement Heap well.
    I agree 100%. Heap and Flacco will develop a better relationship next year when Flacco gets all the reps with the first team during training camp.
    Want some... come and get some!

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    Wilcox might be back in the NFL, but it's not gonna be as a Raven IMO.

PP

Well, he did play special teams this year. I think if Quinn isn't 100% healthy next year Wilcox stays more or less because you might need him. Edgar Jones isn't a TE.

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Sevinne View Post
    I think Heap was used this year in more ways than one to support Flacco. Certainly as a blocker but I also think Cam was reluctant to use Heap over the middle because that is where most of the interception risk lies. There were very few tosses in the middle third of the field which I think was Cam's way of reducing risk to Flacco. I don't in any way think it was Heap's fault.

That being said, Heap does seem to go down pretty easily these days as well as not make the tough catches like he used to. I think Heap gets another year to find his groove before any decisions are made. Tight End definitely would be several notches down the list of priorties.
    Yes, you took words out of my mouth. Especially the part about another year to bounce back.

He has looked tentative and kind of lackluster running his routes also. He seems like he's lost a step of separation he used to get against defenders. I hope he regains his form next year.

I am a grad assistant football coach and a huge Ravens fan and season ticket holder. Sometimes when I look on these blogs I crack myself up by some of the comments that people put on here. I am sorry but Todd Heap should be brought back and he isn't past his prime. The guy has done so many things for this franchise and was the only offensive weapon for years when our offense sucked. If you look at Cameron's offense in SD he had a blocking tight end and Gates. This year without Wilcox healthy and Sypniewski healthy, Heap had to do the blocking. If Sypniewski comes back healthy or we get a blocking TE in the draft or free agency, I believe you will see a different Heap next year. This year he had to do all the blocking so he wasn't able to line up outside or go on many pass routes. Just give him another year in this offense and be patient.

No.

I'm sure I'll be glad to find whatever ends up in my stocking, but TE isn't on my wish list.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.