Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Anyone think Julius Peppers would fit?

Quote Originally Posted by RavinDonnie View Post
    Pryce is under contract for two more years and was fantastic this year. Why is everyone assuming he will be gone?
    Who said that?

Peppers and Pryce play different positions,it wouldnt matter.

Quote Originally Posted by 52decleetzu View Post
    It really doesnt,and why his agent put that out there is just puzzling to me.

First of all,everyone knows that pash rushing DE's in a 4-3 make a LOT more than OLB in a 3-4 in most cases.Second of all it takes away leverage from the player by limiting the possibiliteis of tema that could be used to bid against each other.

I have no idea what possessed the agent to make this statement,and it serves his client no good whatsoever.
    Pepp and Sizz have the same agent I think. Could make it tough to get both of them here, but could help drive up the price for Sizz by getting Pepp a DE contract at OLB position designation before franchise tag price is set. Pepp already got tagged as DE so if he can get acknowledged as a hybrid it can drive up the market price for the positon that has become the sack leader of the NFL over DE.

I think we can and should keep all our guys who want to be here and bring in Peppers at big money.
    I can live with another cap purge and 5-11 year when Ray and company retire or get cut if we get a SB out of it. We know that we are pretty close, why not add the missing peice or two and go for it like the year 2000.

Of all the positons where one player can make a big difference on every down, DE is right up there. I am not saying bring in Pepp over one of the guys we have, but if one of our starters leaves, I think Peppers would possibly be an upgrade, at least in the pass rushing department. I know he has been up and down, but when on top of his game and with talent,around him to keep some double teams off him, he can dominate the game.
    I would much rather give the free agent money to him than a WR, even though I think we need more offensive help than D, help is help, and Peppers could definitly help.

Quote Originally Posted by reed covers all20 View Post
    He wants to be a hybrid de/lb so he can maximize his potential
    He'd need to lose a good 20-40 pounds to be effective as a LB, which of course would hurt his DE abilities. I mean to say I hear what he wants- hey I want a pony- but wishing doesn't make it true.

Sigh. His body frame is a natural DE.

I like Pryce but Peppers is way better than him at this point because he just turned 29 two days ago and is coming off a 14.5 sack season. If he is at all affordable we should jump all over him right away because let's face it, our pass rush wasn't great this year. We got pressure but we had to blitz two or more people alot of times to do it. That leave us open for big plays to wide open receivers who won't pay for catching passes running across the middle because Ray Lewis had to blitz and wasn't there to lay him out. Our defense is very talented and one of the best but it does have holes that can be taken advantage of as the Steelers did.

All things equal, I'd shell out the money for Haynesworth over Peppers.
    Just win baby...

Quote Originally Posted by RavinDonnie View Post
    Pryce is under contract for two more years and was fantastic this year. Why is everyone assuming he will be gone?
    Now I don't support spending big money on Peppers, but to say that Pryce was "fantastic" this year is way off base. He was average at best, most games we got no pass rush with our front four, and without Rex's elaborate blitz schemes I fear we may have that D-line exposed next year. Now I'll agree that Pryce played well against the run and we could do much worse than him, but to say he was fantastic is just not on point.
    Section 517 since 2001!!!! Real fans sit real high!!!![

Quote Originally Posted by obannon35 View Post
    Now I don't support spending big money on Peppers, but to say that Pryce was "fantastic" this year is way off base. He was average at best, most games we got no pass rush with our front four, and without Rex's elaborate blitz schemes I fear we may have that D-line exposed next year. Now I'll agree that Pryce played well against the run and we could do much worse than him, but to say he was fantastic is just not on point.
    If Pryce was not Mr Fantastic it is only because he was drawing double teams and letting someone else finish. He got a great push on almost every play even when doubled. that is why we had one of the best defenses in the NFL. The 3-4 DL do not get many sacks on any team, but what they do is no less important than the 4-3 DL who play one gap and must produce the pass rush. Pryce gets held on almost every play but still drives his guy back and lets the LBs scrape hard at great angles and knock people out.

Peppers would be great to have in the mix, but we will only have room for him if we lose a starter.