Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.

Foundations are laid

Once again the Ravens gave it their all. And held close to the end.A rookie QB
    came down to earth with a bump against a great defense.

But as much as the Superbowl dream has died for this season.This amazing run has laid the foundation for the Ravens for years to come.Those next men up have stepped in and got experience.The young guys have had an early taste of playoff football.

With the bye week so early,and the punishment that has been taken out on the team mentally and physically and on the road in the playoffs.It would not have been hard to imagine that the Ravens will/spirit would have finally crumpled,like a worn out tire.BUt we knew better than that.

The purple and black threw all they had.And then some.To try and climb another impossible mountain.

There is no blame to shed.Just pride for the purple and black and their 08 season.
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.

Re: Foundations are laid

Quote Originally Posted by RavenTD View Post
    There is no blame to shed.Just pride for the purple and black and their 08 season.
    No - but I need to know who was the dickhead ST who gave away the kick-off penalty that denied us a chance to win the game.

We were down 16-14 with 5 mins to play and had the ball at our 40. We went to adverts, came back and we were backed up to our 11 !!!!!

Showed one of our players throw a Steeler into our bench !!! :grbac:

I must admit myself, when they went to that break and we were on our 40, I thought for the first time since the game started that we could really do it, then like you say we come back and we are on our 11 and Joe is under pressure.

Tell you one thing, you can feel nothing but pride for them players, not just for the season but last night as well. They looked hurt and battered yet they were nothing short of heroic, to stay in that game and keep making plays was a top effort.

The Steelers can have their superbowl, they deserved it last night, but I tell you something they probably can't feel any prouder of a group of players than we should about ours.

As much as this season was outstanding and beyond my wildest dreams for the year, right now I'm extremely nervous about next season. Rex leaving on defence and taking a seemingly large chunk of the coaching staff with him, some big free agents on defence with the tri-umverate at LB and then the potential of cutting both Rolle & McAllister as well to go with the necessity to upgrade our offence further to allow this team to make the next step. It's nervous anticipation, but I am extremely nervous and right now not very confident for next season. It's probably just "day after syndrome", but I can see a disappointing season next year whilst Harbaugh has to lay down his team and get his personnel in, could help us in the long term, but short term I think we're looking at a dip.

As much as this hurts, I have to stop and think about what was expected and what we got. This was fun!!!! When your games are being flexed, that makes you feel real good. When you have new faces hitting your UKRavens Forum, another bright spot. All good stuff!!

I look forward to your journey here. I will make sure I take off Monday........

I am off to buy Arizona gear.

Lets see who stays around here - after our 'mourning' period of course.:grbac:

I want to start work on the meet-ups / BBQ / B'more '09 trip - but all in good time.

You talk about a mourning period, I was in the pub last night watching the Merseyside Derby with a load of Everton mates, and whilst they were going loopy I was sitting there just thinking about the Steelers game feeling really flat about it for the first time. Shame the journey had to end that way.

Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.

I cannot say I am nervous about 09.There is a long way to go.And many puzzles to solve.And pieces to rearrange on this team.

Where my thread title comes in is that we have a more solid base to build from than we have had before.A young nucleus who have shown they can play in the NFL.

While alot of teams are searching for a direction.This team knows where it is going.

Yes Ryan,and the LB situation could become a step back.But I'll wait to see when the cloud clears.On who comes in and who goes.

There is every possibility the Ravens could slip,as getting to the AFC championship is no easy journey.But you would think that with the right additions there is no reason the Ravens cannot head back to the playoffs.

I am not nervous I am eagerly awaiting the moves in free agency and the draft.The progress of Flacco, the O'line,Clayton,and maybe a new WR to add a bit of speed downfield.And a nice cover corner.

Its all about building this team,to beat the Steelers.Just as the AFC south teams built themselves to beat the Colts.Its that simple.

As to mourning this loss.I did not take it as hard as the loss to the Colts in the playoffs.That put me off football for months. I guess it was this team overachieving,having a mountain to climb and no gas in the tank but still almost pulling out a win in the AFC Champ. Plus the fact I had 6 hours sleep the entire weekend due to my cold and staying up for the game.And only following the game on NFL.com gamecenter,while listening to ESPN radio.

More than ever I wear my purple and black with pride,after the heart and effort of the 08 Ravens.Gawd love ya.
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.

I felt the same way TD. I was deflated after the loss but it was nothing like the loss to the Colts a few years back. I was just numb after that one...

Quote Originally Posted by UKRavenGordon View Post
    I felt the same way TD. I was deflated after the loss but it was nothing like the loss to the Colts a few years back. I was just numb after that one...
    I was almost physicaly sick after the Colts game. I had already started planning for the Superbowl that year.

This time around I was numb - and ready for us to lose, as it was a bridge too far.

Glad to see most of you still posting. As Toe said this UKR forum is now well populated to get some good conversations going, whilst at the same time remains blissfully 'troll free'. :wrong

I'll start on the next newsletter soon - we all know what is in that ;)

I'm more nervously excited than nervous about next season. As Harbaugh said this isn't the end, it's only the start!! With the class we have in our organisation I have full faith that we will retain all essential players and personnel. Pick up some very smart FA's and make the best possible draft picks for our position. We're going to have an amazing season this year!!!
    Last edited by James R(aven); 01-21-2009 at 06:16 AM. Reason: spelling

We have a lot of issues from this season too resolve first.
    It's only the crap teams that are salavating over the '09 draft - except Detroit who are sh%&ting about it.