Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 190
  1. #1

    Flacco Deal Update...



    Per Aaron Wilson

    Biggest obstacles for Ravens,Joe Flacco are lack of salary-cap room and obvious difference of opinion on what to pay him. Long process


    What does this really mean?

    How would doing a deal now affect his 2012 cap number? There will be space in 2013 which is when the deal would go into effect. I dont get the part about the cap. I understand that part about what to pay him etc...

    Maybe let him play out his contract and see how he does this year and sign him based on that? Problem with that is if Rice is unsigned you only have one tag so you have to sign one. It will be an interesting 3 months.




  2. #2

    Re: Flacco Deal Update...

    Quote Originally Posted by Benny8444 View Post
    Per Aaron Wilson

    Biggest obstacles for Ravens,Joe Flacco are lack of salary-cap room and obvious difference of opinion on what to pay him. Long process


    What does this really mean?

    How would doing a deal now affect his 2012 cap number? There will be space in 2013 which is when the deal would go into effect. I dont get the part about the cap. I understand that part about what to pay him etc...

    Maybe let him play out his contract and see how he does this year and sign him based on that? Problem with that is if Rice is unsigned you only have one tag so you have to sign one. It will be an interesting 3 months.
    Depending on the deal, a new contract for Joe potentially makes his 2012 cap even larger than it is.

    FYI...I don't know all the salaries for 2013, but we are likely going to be right up against the cap again.

    And if they don't sign him or Rice, you can say goodbye to Ray Rice as there is no way in hell the team is letting Joe hit UFA.




  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,232
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Flacco Deal Update...

    Tbh Rice deserves a long term deal more than Flacco right now. I am obviously a big fan of Flacco, but let him play his year out, and let him show us that he is really "the best QB in the NFL". You know I never hear Rice going around saying he's the best RB in the league, and yet he has probably statistically had a better career so far than Flacco, yes I know Rice said he played out his contract and so he has.




  4. #4

    Re: Flacco Deal Update...

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Tbh Rice deserves a long term deal more than Flacco right now. I am obviously a big fan of Flacco, but let him play his year out, and let him show us that he is really "the best QB in the NFL". You know I never hear Rice going around saying he's the best RB in the league, and yet he has probably statistically had a better career so far than Flacco, yes I know Rice said he played out his contract and so he has.
    It depends on what you mean by "deserve."

    Rice has been a team player and a model citizen and a standout tailback in a league of talented tailbacks. I applaud everything he's done, on the field and off.

    But the RB shelf life just isn't that long.

    If I had to choose between which one I still wanted going into 2018, without question it would be Flacco. I hope Rice is still productive then, but I'd also have no problem tagging him this year, tagging him next, and waving goodbye, if we have to. RBs just don't have that many productive years in the NFL.
    Festivus

    His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.




  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,232
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Flacco Deal Update...

    Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    It depends on what you mean by "deserve."

    Rice has been a team player and a model citizen and a standout tailback in a league of talented tailbacks. I applaud everything he's done, on the field and off.

    But the RB shelf life just isn't that long.

    If I had to choose between which one I still wanted going into 2018, without question it would be Flacco. I hope Rice is still productive then, but I'd also have no problem tagging him this year, tagging him next, and waving goodbye, if we have to. RBs just don't have that many productive years in the NFL.
    I understand what you're saying, and I totally agree. However I am just going by who deserves it more right now. Flacco is running his mouth about how good he is, Rice is just staying quiet, and answering questions just how he should be. Rice has proven more in the league so far than Flacco. But then I look it at on the other side and agree that Flacco should be priority over Rice, purely because of the positions they play. Flacco I think is going to be a great QB and will take that next step soon, I hope it's 2012.




  6. #6

    Re: Flacco Deal Update...

    Joe Flacco, when asked, said he thought he was a top 5 quarterback.

    Ray Rice, when asked, said through his agent he should be paid more than Arian Foster.

    You say tomato, I say tomato.
    Festivus

    His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.




  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,232
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Flacco Deal Update...

    Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    Joe Flacco, when asked, said he thought he was a top 5 quarterback.

    Ray Rice, when asked, said through his agent he should be paid more than Arian Foster.

    You say tomato, I say tomato.
    I don't recall hearing anything from Rice saying he wants more than what Foster got. Flacco just came out and directly that he's the best QB in the NFL.




  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    22,955
    They don't give NFL contracts on what the player "deserves".

    Smart teams give out contracts on potential and value.

    Joe > Rice in therms of both.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  9. #9

    Re: Flacco Deal Update...

    Signing Flacco longterm is 10X more important than inking Rice.

    Rice is maybe the best receiving back in the league. He is the beneficiary of being in Cam's offense where he is main short/checkdown option with all our WRs running deep routes (and not adept at getting open, I might add). That's why Ray gets a lot of balsl thrown his way, and he is pretty damn good in space.

    Running the ball.... I'm not as up as many of you are on Rice's production. Last year, I think he left far too many yards on field with Leach opening up a hole, and Rice not following his path of destruction. Sure Rice broke a lot of big ones, but he sure had a bunch of 2yd gains that should have been 5-7yds if hit the hole right. Its like he was a Home Run hitter.... Got the Home Runs (1 Sometimes 2 20yd+ gains/game), but struck out a lot (too many 1 or 2 yd gains). He has to hit more singles (5yders) and doubles (10yders) next year.

    So what does that mean.... Pretty simple--- a deal equivalent to Foster (who is a better rushing RB, but not quite Rice's caliber in passing game). Rice's agent is asking too much if the Ravens are offering a similar deal. We can't break the bank and be stupid. Honestly, its about time Cam's offense scheme gets with the times and have our WRs become the focus of the passing game. If that finally happens, a great receiving RB is not as important. I'd rather allocate more dough to the WR position, than breaking the bank to keep Rice.
    Last edited by ravensnhokies; 04-06-2012 at 10:44 PM.




  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,232
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Flacco Deal Update...

    Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    Signing Flacco longterm is 10X more important than inking Rice.

    Rice is maybe the best receiving back in the league. He is the beneficiary of being in Cam's offense where he is main short/checkdown option with all our WRs running deep routes (and not adept at getting open, I might add). That's why Ray gets a lot of balsl thrown his way, and he is pretty damn good in space.

    Running the ball.... I'm not as up as many of you are on Rice's production. Last year, I think he left far too many yards on field with Leach opening up a hole, and Rice not following his path of destruction. Sure Rice broke a lot of big ones, but he sure had a bunch of 2yd gains that should have been 5-7yds if hit the hole right. Its like he was a Home Run hitter.... Got the Home Runs (1 Sometimes 2 20yd+ gains/game), but struke out a lot (too many 1 or 2 yd gains). He has to hit more singles (5yders) and doubles (10yders) next year.

    So what does that mean.... Pretty simple--- a deal equivalent to Foster (who is a better rushing RB, but not quite Rice's caliber in passing game). Rice's agent is asking too much if the Ravens are offering a similar deal. We can't break the bank and be stupid. Honestly, its about time Cam's offense scheme gets with the times and have our WRs become the focus of the passing game. If that finally happens, a great receiving RB is not as important. I'd rather allocate more dough to the WR position, than breaking the bank to keep Rice.
    I think Rice deserves at least what Foster got personally.




  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Pikesville
    Posts
    4,171
    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I think Rice deserves at least what Foster got personally.
    And Tony has repeatedly reported that his sources indicate that the Ravens have made that exact offer to Ray and were soundly dismissed.

    Assuming Tony knows what he's talking about (a safe assumption) then the lack of a deal is 100% on Rice's end.


    ---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?w3bp2e
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron




  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    San Dimas, CA
    Posts
    6,116

    Re: Flacco Deal Update...

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I don't recall hearing anything from Rice saying he wants more than what Foster got. Flacco just came out and directly that he's the best QB in the NFL.
    No, he didn't. He said he thinks he is the best - it may be subtle, but it is not the same as him saying he's the best. He even acknowledged that it sometimes doesn't work out that way.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland