Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Methods to beat the Steelers D

Quote Originally Posted by Steelmember View Post
    Woodley had 2 sacks against the Chargers due to focusing on Harrison (who still got a sack, in which he was held nonetheless). It would be a mistake to discount him.

As far as Beating the Steelers Defense--Like the OP, big plays must be had, but the biggest issue is protecting the ball. The Ravens will have to stick with the run and hope to tire out the Steelers, and setup the play action with the running game.

Flacco will have to come up big in this game, and that's going to be the deciding factor in my mind. Will he maintain his poise and lead scoring drives, or will he fold like Big Ben did in his rookie season in the AFCCG?
    I agree the Woodley matchup is the more dangerous one. SD did single block Harrison a few times by holding the crap out of him. The last 2 games Gaither has handled him well enough to shift the help to the other side most of the time.

Joe has been cool in the pocket, but when he did look bad this year, it was pressure in his face from inside pressure and front side blitz. The back side protection has been incredibly solid all season, allowing Joe to relax and go through his reads.

The fact that he has not only not taken a sack or turned it over much since about week 6 has gone on too long to be a trend or a fluke. They may be a little BB conservative recently, but they are not even letting Joe get hit much and they are taking the shots deep, not just short stuff to Heap and 2 yard outs to Mason.

I love the bunch formation (3 receivers close together in a triangle). It is extremely effective in 3rd and 1-6s (no formation is consistently effective during 3rd and long against a good D). The Steelers utilize this a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    I love the bunch formation (3 receivers close together in a triangle). It is extremely effective in 3rd and 1-6s (no formation is consistently effective during 3rd and long against a good D). The Steelers utilize this a lot.
    I like it too. i think we need to spread them out with some 4 wide and use some bunch formation and rub the same pick patterns they do. I do not think we will be able to tire them out early with the run, and will need to throw in order move the ball early. I do not even know who the Cory Ivy of the Steelers is, but we need to find him and make him cover Clayton or Figurs deep or on long crossing patterns.

I think the RB vs LB coverage matchups can work once we establish the run, but may need to use screens and swing passes early to get them involved. We need to break some tackles and make people miss on the check down routes, and this would be a very nice time get back Rice. I hope McClain is healthy, but I think this time we need to save him for the second half to finish them off and not try to hammer them early. Neal is a better blocker anyway, and this grass turf is good for speed runners who can cut better than the D can.