Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Methods to beat the Steelers D

I do remember the deep pass to Mason that just missed. Question... Was he in the slot? I would like to somehow get Clayton in the slot.

They are vunerable to the same type of things we are. The shifty back in space who can make someone miss, or a good TE who can beat one on one coverage.

The unbalanced look with a LT blocking Harrison in the run game looked good.

They do not have any one other than Troy you have to avoid in coverage if you have the time to throw. We should be able to protect with 7 with good play action and get the 1 on 1 we are looking for outside. it will all come down to if Joe can put the ball on the money.

We can run on them if we can keep Troy out of the box, but will only do tha by hitting them over the top a few times to loosen them up. I am pretty confident in the protection, but the accuracy and WR injury have made this part of the attack the most unpredictable.

Blog Entries

Lots of mis-direction screens and handoffs with some playaction to Heap on the backside of the misdirection. I'd also like to see some qb sneaks with a spread formation in 2nd/3rd and short situations.

I like the screens because they force the D to run laterally and it takes it toll running sideline-to-sideline every play. The spread qb sneaks work because Joe could run the play or hit Mason/Clayton if they aren't playing press D. Using Flacco like this also makes the D account for everyone on the field because Joe becomes a rb. He doesn't need to do it every play either, (short yardage only) just something the D keeps in mind when we're in that formation.

Blog Entries

First I think we need to get them on the heels before the ball is snapped, there was a crazy amount of pre-snap movement by the O in the Miami game and we need more of that. Keep them guessing.

Run to set up the Play action. We need to draw Polamalu into the box then go over his head, if he really has a calf problem then you need to get him into positions where he can't keep up with the play, setting up the play action could help with that. He may back off then, and if so that's when you hammer the run again.

Maybe get some screens with McGahee and Rice. I like Le'Ron, he's a good catcher most days and hard runner, but as JW said we need someone shiftier out there to make more yards. Rice gets up to speed quick and Joe needs to be prepared to use him.

I think now may be the time for a return to the "wildbird" as well. We need misdirection because they are a fast defense and will get after people, again, we need to make them think a bit.

And yeah, I think we need to get Figurs going deep a couple of times, at worst it's a diversion, at best he scorches someone and Joe can hit him long. Whilst I like Clayton and love Mason, I think Smith is a bit so-so with them in a three receiver set, he may grow into a role, but right now I'd mix it up. As a receiver Figurs may be weak, but you have to account for that speed going deep because he can catch and Joe can get him the ball.

When Cam has been excellent this year, he's been keeping opposing defenses on the backfoot by throwing them loops. Against a team like Pitt I think that kind of thing is imperative, you can't just go toe-to-toe with a top ranked defense like theirs and try to win on execution alone. You need to create mismatches and confusion to give yourself a better chance.

How about converting TD's inside the red zone, we do that we win!
    Want some... come and get some!

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick11 View Post
    I agree with this, and also thing we need to utilize Heap and McGahee/Rice/McClain both int he seam and in the flats!

Quote Originally Posted by Bez513 View Post
    Any its good to know Troy P has a calf injury so we may be able to get one past him.
    He's a strong safety. He can't keep up with Mason, nevermind Clayton or Figurs.

I'd like to see Figurs, perhaps opposite Mason with Clayton in the slot. Maybe just use all three to flood a zone, with Figurs pulling the top defender deep to clear things out for an underneath receiver.

Should be a hell of a game. If Rolle plays, I think we will beat them soundly. Tennessee was the better team, between the two.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

I agree with pretty much everything said on this thread. I think we seem to move the ball between the 20s pretty well vs the steelers all year. Without a doubt, the number one issue with out offense this game is red zone conversions. we would have won both games this year if we had a 50% td ratio. lets punch it in this time, and the only way i can see us doing that is by using playaction. we can't run it in to the endzone anymore, it hasn't worked vs good defenses in almost two months. we gotta exploit the fact that every team knows we use our running game and get a quick strike on an out or something. two offensive tds for us will win us the game. gotta do it.

The red zone problems killed us in the 2nd game, I can remember at least 2 times where Flacco missed open WRs. There was another time where we were on the 30 or so and he missed an open Mason. That cannot happen here.

I also would like to see a trick play or two. We use them against crap teams now lets use one against a good team.

The no huddle will be good here.

I also think we need to Double team Harrison, I am not afraid of Woodley or any of there other LBs.

Adam Terry on the tackle eligible!

BS

Reed lined up as WR??

Quote Originally Posted by Benny8444 View Post
    The red zone problems killed us in the 2nd game, I can remember at least 2 times where Flacco missed open WRs. There was another time where we were on the 30 or so and he missed an open Mason. That cannot happen here.

I also would like to see a trick play or two. We use them against crap teams now lets use one against a good team.

The no huddle will be good here.

I also think we need to Double team Harrison, I am not afraid of Woodley or any of there other LBs.
    Woodley had 2 sacks against the Chargers due to focusing on Harrison (who still got a sack, in which he was held nonetheless). It would be a mistake to discount him.

As far as Beating the Steelers Defense--Like the OP, big plays must be had, but the biggest issue is protecting the ball. The Ravens will have to stick with the run and hope to tire out the Steelers, and setup the play action with the running game.

Flacco will have to come up big in this game, and that's going to be the deciding factor in my mind. Will he maintain his poise and lead scoring drives, or will he fold like Big Ben did in his rookie season in the AFCCG?