Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 27 of 27
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,340
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Methods to beat the Steelers D



    First I think we need to get them on the heels before the ball is snapped, there was a crazy amount of pre-snap movement by the O in the Miami game and we need more of that. Keep them guessing.

    Run to set up the Play action. We need to draw Polamalu into the box then go over his head, if he really has a calf problem then you need to get him into positions where he can't keep up with the play, setting up the play action could help with that. He may back off then, and if so that's when you hammer the run again.

    Maybe get some screens with McGahee and Rice. I like Le'Ron, he's a good catcher most days and hard runner, but as JW said we need someone shiftier out there to make more yards. Rice gets up to speed quick and Joe needs to be prepared to use him.

    I think now may be the time for a return to the "wildbird" as well. We need misdirection because they are a fast defense and will get after people, again, we need to make them think a bit.

    And yeah, I think we need to get Figurs going deep a couple of times, at worst it's a diversion, at best he scorches someone and Joe can hit him long. Whilst I like Clayton and love Mason, I think Smith is a bit so-so with them in a three receiver set, he may grow into a role, but right now I'd mix it up. As a receiver Figurs may be weak, but you have to account for that speed going deep because he can catch and Joe can get him the ball.

    When Cam has been excellent this year, he's been keeping opposing defenses on the backfoot by throwing them loops. Against a team like Pitt I think that kind of thing is imperative, you can't just go toe-to-toe with a top ranked defense like theirs and try to win on execution alone. You need to create mismatches and confusion to give yourself a better chance.




  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bel Air, MD
    Posts
    148

    Re: Methods to beat the Steelers D

    How about converting TD's inside the red zone, we do that we win!
    Want some... come and get some!




  3. #18

    Re: Methods to beat the Steelers D

    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick11 View Post
    I agree with this, and also thing we need to utilize Heap and McGahee/Rice/McClain both int he seam and in the flats!




  4. #19

    Re: Methods to beat the Steelers D

    Quote Originally Posted by Bez513 View Post
    Any its good to know Troy P has a calf injury so we may be able to get one past him.
    He's a strong safety. He can't keep up with Mason, nevermind Clayton or Figurs.

    I'd like to see Figurs, perhaps opposite Mason with Clayton in the slot. Maybe just use all three to flood a zone, with Figurs pulling the top defender deep to clear things out for an underneath receiver.

    Should be a hell of a game. If Rolle plays, I think we will beat them soundly. Tennessee was the better team, between the two.
    Festivus

    His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.




  5. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Arbutus
    Posts
    56

    Re: Methods to beat the Steelers D

    I agree with pretty much everything said on this thread. I think we seem to move the ball between the 20s pretty well vs the steelers all year. Without a doubt, the number one issue with out offense this game is red zone conversions. we would have won both games this year if we had a 50% td ratio. lets punch it in this time, and the only way i can see us doing that is by using playaction. we can't run it in to the endzone anymore, it hasn't worked vs good defenses in almost two months. we gotta exploit the fact that every team knows we use our running game and get a quick strike on an out or something. two offensive tds for us will win us the game. gotta do it.




  6. #21

    Re: Methods to beat the Steelers D

    The red zone problems killed us in the 2nd game, I can remember at least 2 times where Flacco missed open WRs. There was another time where we were on the 30 or so and he missed an open Mason. That cannot happen here.

    I also would like to see a trick play or two. We use them against crap teams now lets use one against a good team.

    The no huddle will be good here.

    I also think we need to Double team Harrison, I am not afraid of Woodley or any of there other LBs.




  7. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kingsville, MD
    Posts
    748

    Re: Methods to beat the Steelers D

    Adam Terry on the tackle eligible!

    BS




  8. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Posts
    814

    Re: Methods to beat the Steelers D

    Reed lined up as WR??




  9. #24

    Re: Methods to beat the Steelers D

    Quote Originally Posted by Benny8444 View Post
    The red zone problems killed us in the 2nd game, I can remember at least 2 times where Flacco missed open WRs. There was another time where we were on the 30 or so and he missed an open Mason. That cannot happen here.

    I also would like to see a trick play or two. We use them against crap teams now lets use one against a good team.

    The no huddle will be good here.

    I also think we need to Double team Harrison, I am not afraid of Woodley or any of there other LBs.
    Woodley had 2 sacks against the Chargers due to focusing on Harrison (who still got a sack, in which he was held nonetheless). It would be a mistake to discount him.

    As far as Beating the Steelers Defense--Like the OP, big plays must be had, but the biggest issue is protecting the ball. The Ravens will have to stick with the run and hope to tire out the Steelers, and setup the play action with the running game.

    Flacco will have to come up big in this game, and that's going to be the deciding factor in my mind. Will he maintain his poise and lead scoring drives, or will he fold like Big Ben did in his rookie season in the AFCCG?




  10. #25

    Re: Methods to beat the Steelers D

    Quote Originally Posted by Steelmember View Post
    Woodley had 2 sacks against the Chargers due to focusing on Harrison (who still got a sack, in which he was held nonetheless). It would be a mistake to discount him.

    As far as Beating the Steelers Defense--Like the OP, big plays must be had, but the biggest issue is protecting the ball. The Ravens will have to stick with the run and hope to tire out the Steelers, and setup the play action with the running game.

    Flacco will have to come up big in this game, and that's going to be the deciding factor in my mind. Will he maintain his poise and lead scoring drives, or will he fold like Big Ben did in his rookie season in the AFCCG?
    I agree the Woodley matchup is the more dangerous one. SD did single block Harrison a few times by holding the crap out of him. The last 2 games Gaither has handled him well enough to shift the help to the other side most of the time.

    Joe has been cool in the pocket, but when he did look bad this year, it was pressure in his face from inside pressure and front side blitz. The back side protection has been incredibly solid all season, allowing Joe to relax and go through his reads.

    The fact that he has not only not taken a sack or turned it over much since about week 6 has gone on too long to be a trend or a fluke. They may be a little BB conservative recently, but they are not even letting Joe get hit much and they are taking the shots deep, not just short stuff to Heap and 2 yard outs to Mason.




  11. #26

    Re: Methods to beat the Steelers D

    I love the bunch formation (3 receivers close together in a triangle). It is extremely effective in 3rd and 1-6s (no formation is consistently effective during 3rd and long against a good D). The Steelers utilize this a lot.




  12. #27

    Re: Methods to beat the Steelers D

    Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    I love the bunch formation (3 receivers close together in a triangle). It is extremely effective in 3rd and 1-6s (no formation is consistently effective during 3rd and long against a good D). The Steelers utilize this a lot.
    I like it too. i think we need to spread them out with some 4 wide and use some bunch formation and rub the same pick patterns they do. I do not think we will be able to tire them out early with the run, and will need to throw in order move the ball early. I do not even know who the Cory Ivy of the Steelers is, but we need to find him and make him cover Clayton or Figurs deep or on long crossing patterns.

    I think the RB vs LB coverage matchups can work once we establish the run, but may need to use screens and swing passes early to get them involved. We need to break some tackles and make people miss on the check down routes, and this would be a very nice time get back Rice. I hope McClain is healthy, but I think this time we need to save him for the second half to finish them off and not try to hammer them early. Neal is a better blocker anyway, and this grass turf is good for speed runners who can cut better than the D can.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland