Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Can Ray 'will' This Team To Victory

There's alot to be said about the will to win, and the power of positive thought. The Ravens are demonstrating both right now! On paper, I don't believe the Ravens can win this Sunday - injuries; 'battle' fatigue; on-the-road, again (sounds like an 'ol country western tune); and the list goes on. However, I believe a team's will to win overrides ALL else! This team is very mentally tough and battle tested right now, thanks in Large part to their inspirational leader, Ray Lewis, who has overtaken Jim Brown, in my mind, as the best football player Ever! If this team does in fact capture the Lombardi trophy, there will be no disputing this.

And, btw, God bless OJ Brigance, the real winner throughout this entire season!
    Last edited by ravenjoe; 01-13-2009 at 12:20 AM.
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Re: Can Ray 'will' This Team To Victory

Can someone get me a bucket to puke in? The Ravens will win because they are a better team than Pittsburgh. OJ has had the disease for a while. It's repulsive to see people use it as some sort of rallying cry for a win.

Quote Originally Posted by RavinDonnie View Post
    Can someone get me a bucket to puke in? The Ravens will win because they are a better team than Pittsburgh. OJ has had the disease for a while. It's repulsive to see people use it as some sort of rallying cry for a win.

On paper, Pittsburgh has the no.1 defense, and a QB who is wearing a SB ring. The Ravens have a better running game; however, two of their three starters are currently walking wounded. Our secondary is banged-up big time, while the Steelers are rested, and healthy. For these reasons, Baltimore is not the better team right now, on paper, imo; however, I'll take the intangibles I listed in my post any day of the week - that is why the Ravens will win. Plus, they have no.52 leading the fight!

And, furthermore, the OJ reference is not meant to be a rallying cry, but rather a continued acknowledgment of who truly the real winner is on this team. He was once a very good football player, as evidenced by his bringing a Grey Cup victory to Charm City, and he is an even better human being!
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

The Ravens THEMSELVES have said that OJ is an inspiration and makes it all the easier to fight through myriad injuries knowing what he is going through. It's not a rallying cry at all. The Ravens simply gain strength through his presence in the locker room.

I get what you're trying to say about exploitation of a terminally ill person, but I don't think that is the case with the original poster, and certainly not what the Ravens are doing.

Once AGAIN, a shitty remark in your post. Get a grip!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bmorebirds_24 View Post
    Once AGAIN, a shitty remark in your post. Get a grip!!!!!!
    Agreed.
    M&T Bank Stadium - Section 513
    Proud Season Ticket Holder since 1998

The athletes are plenty good enough to win.

If they believe they can beat Pittsburgh, then they can.

Fatigue isn't as much of a problem as it was last Sunday when the Titans had 2 weeks off and the Ravens had to recover from playing in a sauna. Both teams are coming off a game, but the Ravens had three days off.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

It is so sad that you choose to see what you read here in a negative light. The team has felt that Mr. Brigance has been an inspiration to them because of his faith and positive attitude in light of his circumstance. I have been watching this team and listening carefully to what they are saying. Did you see that Ray Lewis video after Saturday night's game? It wasn't even about winning. He thanked God and said that the only thing that mattered was having his teamates around him. As crazy as it seems, I don't think this team is focused on winning. I think they are focused on excellence.

I know what you mean about O.J Briggance. I heard a guy on a radio show this morning call in and ask if the Orioles could come over and rub his belly. He's not some sort of stuffed doll good luck charm. He's a courageous guy fighting a deadly and very debilitating disease.

As far as Ray "willing" us to win. It's a nice thought. Positive energy does help. I think it helps the players focus and get psyched, but it only will take us as far as it will take us. We still have to execute on the field.

I'm more in the Johnny U. school of thought on this. As he used to say, "talk's cheap, let's play."

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lap View Post
    As far as Ray "willing" us to win. It's a nice thought. Positive energy does help. I think it helps the players focus and get psyched, but it only will take us as far as it will take us. We still have to execute on the field.

I'm more in the Johnny U. school of thought on this. As he used to say, "talk's cheap, let's play."
    One's will enables one to do and accomplish things that he might not, otherwise, be able to do. Ray instills such an attitude, one that will be extremely critical in order to get by the Stillers this weekend. Ray versus Big Ben - Ali versus Frazier. The team that wants it the most will advance; the loser will go home and watch the SB from the comfort and security of his lounge chair.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenjoe View Post
    One's will enables one to do and accomplish things that he might not, otherwise, be able to do. Ray instills such an attitude, one that will be extremely critical in order to get by the Stillers this weekend. Ray versus Big Ben - Ali versus Frazier. The team that wants it the most will advance; the loser will go home and watch the SB from the comfort and security of his lounge chair.
    I'm not saying it's unimportant mind you. Just that it will only go so far. If Ray could "will" us to win then why didn't he do it every year?

I don't think the team that wants it the most wins. I think it's the team that executes best. In order to execute you need good players and coaches and a good game plan. AFTER all that, the will to win factors in. I could want to win that game more than any other Raven but if I lugged my 54 year old body out on the field they'd pulverize me. :) Although that doesn't stop me from having fantasies of playing pro football. LOL.