Civil War in Iraq

Please excuse me for being an idiot where there are geo-political ramifications. But..

Seriously,what would be wrong with letting them have one?
    SS

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Re: Civil War in Iraq

The terrorists would be able to establish camps. The Kurds in the north have a very stable situation going on and are doing very well. The Shiites would probably settle into something similar if it weren't for the Iranians, also Shiites, stirring shit up there. The Sunnis are pissed because they used to control everything and the areas they now have influence in (central Iraq, Baghdad) have no oil. The Shiites in the south and the Kurds in the north would have it all.

A civil war would mean what oil is flowing would stop. It would mean the Kurdish stable situation would fall apart and that the Iranians via the Shiites in the south would gain more influence as the out number the Sunnis by a large margin. It would also mean a lot of human suffering and a very good chance for Iraq to become an Islamic Republic. Essentially, they would be another Iran.

Okay.
    SS

4. Re: Civil War in Iraq

A civil war is NOT going to happen. Too much of the country is stable and too many areas are pleased with the direction that things are heading. We don't hear that, of course, from Big Media, because Big Media has wanted an Iraqi civil war for the last two years. The only areas that receive attention from Big Media are the areas where there are big problems with violence. Hearing just that, sure, you'd think that they were on the brink of a civil war.

Believe me, there is a tiny, TINY minority that wants that in Iraq; and as Greg said, that tiny, TINY minority who do want a civil war are those who had power under Saddam and want it back.

Quote Originally Posted by 12thRaven
    Believe me, there is a tiny, TINY minority that wants that [civil war] in Iraq; and as Greg said, that tiny, TINY minority who do want a civil war are those who had power under Saddam and want it back.
    Even they don't want a civil war, since war typically entails trying to kill people who can shoot back.

BS

I agree with Greg, but I want to add that a civil war would also further tarnish our reputation in the middle east. We want to say we have improved life for all Iraqis, not just the Kurds in the north. Also you might see a land grab situation from another mid east country.

7. Re: Civil War in Iraq

I was thinking what would of happened had a European country come to the aid of the Confederate Army during the American Civil War? With slavery staying intact, plantations could continue to operate and cotton would continue to flow throughout Europe. After the south defeated the north and President Lincoln went into hiding, a new govenment was formed with help from this foreign power. Elections for a new President were held, the new regime would represent all the people, both the north and south and would reside in Washington just as before.

This civil war scenario comes to mind whenever I think of our attempt to put back together a fragmented country under one government and one leader. I don't believe it's going to work.

In every George Bush speech his main quote is, were not leaving until the job is done. That's about as vague as his photo-op on the aircraft carrier that said "Mission Accomplished". So far, $320 Billion dollars spent from the U.S. Treasury, 2650 U.S. soldiers killed and 30,000 wounded. It makes me believe that the Iraqis have no motivation to go to the next level since not even the President knows exactly what or when is the next level. It's like the five year old kid you ask, when your ready to really ride your bike let me know and I'll take the training wheels off, but he never asks. One day you just go out and take the wheels off even if he doesn't ask. This war is over except for the killing.

8. Re: Civil War in Iraq

How would a civil war in Iraq "further tarnish our reputation in the Middle East"? France helped free us and keep us free from England - and I've heard some crazy theories about the War Between the States, but never has "France's reputation was further tarnished" been mentioned. When does personal responsibility and accountability begin for these people? They start looting, raping, and murdering EACH OTHER, and that is somehow OUR fault?

DP - England toyed with the idea of coming to the aid of the Confederate States. It wouldn't have made a difference - maybe even have prolonged the agony. The only hope that the Confederate States had was a quick victory while there was little to no support for the war in the United States. And you know if England came in on the side of the Confederate States which nation would have slid in on the side of the United States.

And don't buy into Big Media. The plan has been, is, and will continue to be to train the Iraqi security forces to maintain order on its own and to begin withdrawing once they have their feet on the ground. It is working. I know several people who have served in Iraq and they all say the same thing - that this plan is working. And why would Big Media be interested in reporting about something that is going to plan - which it is in 90% of Iraq? No - the story is in the 10% of Iraq where there is still regular violence.