Surrounded by Cousin Eddies in Cincitucky (get me out of this HELLHOLE!)

What was the difference between........?

I was wondering how one could compare McNair's nearly flawless opening drive on the 1st pre-season game, and some of the disasters last week vs. the Vikes.

Of course, we all hope we'll see the 80 yard textbook drive on 8/11(with the exception of McNair dragging 3 defenders into the end zone; don't want that to be a habit). Was it Jamal? The difference in the opposition's defense?

I believe the OL's were the same, so why were we so elated at the first game, and melting down after last week?

Glad to be aboard the new board

Blog Entries

Re: What was the difference between........?

Honestly, I'm chalking it up to attitude...

on 8/11, it was McNair's first chance to win the fans, Jamal's first chance to prove he's back, the OL's first chance to prove they're not terrible. They came out fighting.

Since then, I think we've just become unmotivated. Stupid penalties, missed blocks, a drop here or there...I think we're just trying to blow past the preseason and get to the regular season.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

It was just a sloppy performance -- I don't know if it was lack of motivation as much as a lack of concentration and focus, which was a very common problem every time we played on the road last year.

It's also possible that the Vikings may turn out to be a better team than we think.

Nice to hear from you again, TOW -- welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by highwater
    It was just a sloppy performance -- I don't know if it was lack of motivation as much as a lack of concentration and focus, which was a very common problem every time we played on the road last year.

It's also possible that the Vikings may turn out to be a better team than we think.

Nice to hear from you again, TOW -- welcome!
    I agree on all 3 accounts. Its good to have TOW around and I think the Viking D is better than we are giving them credit for. However the real difference in football is attitude/focus. Since the talent difference isn't that great, it is the intensity that players approach each game with that often decides games. We showed in Minny the lack of focus that has been killing us on the road lately.

The problem is no NFL players give a shit about the preseason. Steve was trying to make a good first effort for the home fans. Now that he's playing on the road, they don't give a shit. I expect another lame performance tonight.

The Foreskins on the other hand have been stinking it up all preseason and are going to want to put on a show for the home fans. I think they will whup us pretty good tonight

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePill
    The problem is no NFL players give a shit about the preseason. Steve was trying to make a good first effort for the home fans. Now that he's playing on the road, they don't give a shit. I expect another lame performance tonight.

The Foreskins on the other hand have been stinking it up all preseason and are going to want to put on a show for the home fans. I think they will whup us pretty good tonight
    That wouldn't surprise me either. This is as "must win" as it can get in the preseason for them. I think they will have an intensity and focus that we won't.

Remember when we got stuck playing the Chiefs on a Monday Night after they had lost their opening 3 or so games. I knew they were going to come out like it was the superbowl and sure enough they did (and whupped our ass too).

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave52
    That wouldn't surprise me either. This is as "must win" as it can get in the preseason for them. I think they will have an intensity and focus that we won't.
    You might be right about the intensity/focus, but the Redskins have looked so bad, you have to consider the possibility that they are holding back practically everything in their playbook. Gibbs will publically cry a river of tears that could fill the Potomac if they lose, but I think their focus is clearly on their opening game, not this one.

I do believe that Gibbs wants a better showing out of his team, but so does Billick. Motivating your team for the last game of the preseason has got to be a very tough job for a head coach. Anything could happen, especially after the backups come in, but I don't expect a blowout.

The Foreskins on the other hand have been stinking it up all preseason and are going to want to put on a show for the home fans. I think they will whup us pretty good tonight[/QUOTE]

Ooopps!!! Didn't happen (thank ya, Jesus). We actually dominated, so the question that everyone is asking in Purple Land is, are the foreskins that bad (ohh, are they reading into all thei r own hype?), or are we really showing good promise ?