It was a year ago today...

...that Billick was fired. I was sitting in this exact same position (at my desk, waiting for 1pm so I could close the office) when I read the breaking news on various MB's.

I remember thinking "damn, I didn't see that coming", feeling rather pissed off at the way it had gone down and also not seeing a lot of light at the end of the tunnel as far as the immediate future of this team went.

Strange what a difference a year can make. So well done Steve B for having the courage of your convictions and well done Coach Harbaugh for doing a stirling job in your first year. I know I'm going to enjoy this New Year's Eve just a little bit more knowing we've got a game in January and, more importantly, the foundations of a team that can challenge strongly for the forseeable future.

So Happy New Year to Steve, Ozzie, John H, all of his coaching staff and players - and lastly to Brian Billick - who is also probably feeling a bit more upbeat today than he did 12 months ago.

Cheers all (time to go to the pub)!

Re: It was a year ago today...

When I heard the news I was a little surprised, but not really. Bisciotti never liked Billick personally and I think he viewed Billick as a Modell guy. Billick's style just didn't mesh with Bisciotti's.

I agree though, we have a bright future ahead of us! At first I wanted to give Billick another shot considering all of our injuries, but looking bad I realize how wrong I was. Apparently from what I've read the new coaching staff is who really fought to get Flacco, would Billick have done the same? I say no. Think about Flacco in another uniform...

It was time for a change, just like it is in Denver right now.

I saw a bunch of Ravens coaches and players in my local bar that night and none seemed too down about the change.

I think in the long run it will prove to be a good move by Bisciotti.

FM

I was sitting in my hotel room at the Admiral Fell Inn and was on the local news. Walked over to meet some friends at One Eyed Mike's and we were all stunned and it was the topic of conversation for a good part of the night.

I remember arguing (shocker) with PP over the firing for 3 weeks on various threads.

It's amazing the difference a year makes.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I was sitting in my hotel room at the Admiral Fell Inn and was on the local news. Walked over to meet some friends at One Eyed Mike's and we were all stunned and it was the topic of conversation for a good part of the night.

I remember arguing (shocker) with PP over the firing for 3 weeks on various threads.

It's amazing the difference a year makes.
    Let's be clear as to what the argument was about though.

The way it was handled. That seemed to get lost to most people who didn't care about anything but getting rid of Billick.

It certainly has turned out well with our exciting season.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    Let's be clear as to what the argument was about though.

The way it was handled. That seemed to get lost to most people who didn't care about anything but getting rid of Billick.

It certainly has turned out well with our exciting season.

PP
    Oh, I know. Just walking down memory lane.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Oh, I know. Just walking down memory lane.
    Yup.

It's alot better to walk down memory lane after an 11-5 season than a 5-11 season.

PP