Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shanahan gets the axe

I make a dozen or more coaching spots that will open up. If this guy's not safe, that makes me think 12 might be too low...

- C -

Re: Shanahan gets the axe

he was such a great coach/genius with Elway!!!
    great with offense but forgot about the other side of the ball.
    He'll resurface in a year or two. Hm, wonder if the Broncs will start sniffing around D-Coords...(no Rex don't go!!!)
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

What an interesting off season. I'm sure glad we have our coach and a good one at that.

Seriously guys, do any of you know exactly how many head coaches in the NFL right now are Superbowl winning coaches?

Four.

Four.

Superbowl winners don't just grow on trees. Who the f*ck cares if the guy "only" won Superbowls (multiple) with Elway?

Dude was 138-86 (.616), had TWO losing seasons in his 14 year tenure, and was 8-5 in the playoffs with two Superbowl wins. And let's face it...his teams after Elway have not exactly been dominant, so let's not pretend that his 1-4 record in the post-season since Elway has been all that big of a shock. Let's examine a moment...
    '00 - Baltimore, eventual SB champ.
    '03 - Mediocre 10-6 Plummer team loses to the 12-4 Colts who were clearly the better team.
    '04 - Another mediocre 10-6 Plummer team loses to a superior 12-4 Colts team.
    '05 - A very good 13-3 team beats the Pats in the divisionals and then loses to the eventual SB champion Steelers team who one week earlier went into Indi and shocked the second heaviest SB favorite in the past decade (behind only the Pats last season) Colts.

They lost to two SB champs, and two clearly superior teams. There's supposed to be shame in that??? And this season, let's not even pretend that this team was anything better than an 8-8 team. They flat out weren't very good, and before the season, their fans would have been elated to have a .500 year.

This is an absolutely ridiculous firing.

- C -

While we can snicker at other teams firing their coaches, it's not very good for the Ravens. It only means that there are more teams looking seriously at our coaches, Rex for one.

Shanahan the coach didn't get fired, Shanahan the GM in charge of player personnel got fired, and the coach had to go too. His FA pick ups have been terrible, his drafts bad. All of these guys contributed little:

2005 - Maurice Clarett
    2007- Jarvis Moss, Tim Crowder, Travis Henry;
    2008 - Boss Bailey, Dewayne Robertson, Niko Koutouvides

He has had no talent on defense for years.

Yeah but Holmgren didn't get fired, he only had to relinquish his GM role. Shanahan didn't need to get fired either, and there is unquestionably more bad coaches-in-waiting than next-big-thing coaches-in-waiting. Dumping a guy like Shanahan for one of them is bordering on severely stupid.

- C -

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    Yeah but Holmgren didn't get fired, he only had to relinquish his GM role. Shanahan didn't need to get fired either, and there is unquestionably more bad coaches-in-waiting than next-big-thing coaches-in-waiting. Dumping a guy like Shanahan for one of them is bordering on severely stupid.

- C -
    We don't know what went on behind closed doors....it's possible that Shanahan was offered to keep his coaching gig, but told he had to give up his GM job....and maybe he declined and was let go completely.
    we aren't just loyal, we are obsessed. and we are violently so. we are baltimore, and we are the epitome of dysfunctionality.

Quote Originally Posted by crowdog89 View Post
    We don't know what went on behind closed doors....it's possible that Shanahan was offered to keep his coaching gig, but told he had to give up his GM job....and maybe he declined and was let go completely.
    It's always possible, but word I heard from Schefter, the best scoop man in the NFL besides maybe Glaser, is that it was a 5 minute meeting where they said "Thanks, but we're going a different direction." Didn't sound to me like an offer and rejection...

- C -

Shanahan's an a-hole anyway, couldn't have happened to a better person. Plus he's been 24-24 in the last three seasons and as others have pointed out, his moves have been questionable. It was time to go.

11. Re: Shanahan gets the axe

What exactly is the big deal here? First, we're looking at one of the most embarassing collapses in their franchise history -- all they had to do is win 1 of the last 4 games and they make the playoffs and Mike keeps his job. Instead they lose 4 in a row and get blown out on primetime. The guy hasn't won jack in the last 10 yrs. We fired a Superbowl winning coach last year (although at the time I wasn't for it) it looks like its turned out for the better. I always wondered how in the hell the guy could keep a job all this time myself. The Broncos seemed to fall apart towards the end of the season every year for the past few years (except for the year they snuck into the AFC Championship). They never played any defense, and I don't care how good Cutler's turned out, I still think it was one of the biggest bonehead moves ever to pull Jake Plummer from the starting role when they were 7-3 in Cutler's rookie year to start a rookie QB. It cost them the playoffs then and it should have cost him his job then. I guess you can tell by now I'm not his biggest fan...

Quote Originally Posted by RavensDomination View Post
    Shanahan's an a-hole anyway, couldn't have happened to a better person. Plus he's been 24-24 in the last three seasons
    I guess now he can spend more time in the tanning bed. It sure must be sunny up the Rocky Mountains!

Quote Originally Posted by PSLs in 541 View Post
    I still think it was one of the biggest bonehead moves ever to pull Jake Plummer from the starting role when they were 7-3 in Cutler's rookie year to start a rookie QB. It cost them the playoffs then and it should have cost him his job then. I guess you can tell by now I'm not his biggest fan...
    That is really the heart of this story. He had a playoff-ready team (7-3), who had played in the AFC Championship the year before, when he decided to switch QBs. They ended up missing the playoffs that year ('06), missed again in '07 (7-9), and historically collapsed in '08. Not only did they lose to their divisional rival in a defacto playoff game, they had a 50-burger hung on them.

If that doesn't get you fired, what the heck does?

Meanwhile, 2 unknown rookie coaches- with rookie QBs -guided their teams through tough divisions and into the playoffs. Maybe its time to stop viewing Shanny as such a SuperCoach.