Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Mark Clayton is Turning It UP!

I want to say that I am very Happy to see Mark Clayton getting better with Joe this year. I think that Mark will end up having a very productive post season and will be even better next year.

With Mason and Clayton we really do have a good down field threat. I know some of you will call me crazy ... But I stand with him and our team!

"It is not how you play the game that matters... It is Winning The Super Bowl that counts"... Rumor Ray

Baltimore Has 10 Pro Football Championships!
    Baltimore Colts [NFL] in 1958, 1959, 1968, and 1970
    Baltimore Stars [USFL] in 1985
    Baltimore Stallions [CFL] in 1995
    Baltimore Ravens [NFL] in 2000 and 2012
    Baltimore Mariners [AIFA] in 2010
    Baltimore Mariners [AIF] in 2014

Re: Mark Clayton is Turning It UP!

Clayton have an average game at best.

He has had spots of brilliance this season and certainly produced more then in previous seasons but I still think we go after a stud WR in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

He has had spots of brilliance this season and certainly produced more then in previous seasons but I still think we go after a stud WR in the draft.
    I agree we go after a big play WR, but Clayton had a good game. His stiff arm in the first quarter on the WR screen play was absolutely nasty, and set the tone for Ravens attitude for the rest of the night. He is a very serviceable starting WR, just not the 6'3" big play guy we all want.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

he's producing, but I still think we can upgrade.
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

I still don't get how people over look his 2006 season where he broke out and had 900+ yards and 5 tds... Clayton was then hurt a lot of 2007. He grew with Flacco this season. So next year with him and possibly mason and a new game changing target, I think we will see a new offense

Marcel ... I am glad some other fans pay attention to details !! I like the thoughts of our O the way it is now. Big threats get covered and right now Mason and Clayton can split the field.

"It is not how you play the game that matters... It is Winning The Super Bowl that counts"... Rumor Ray

Baltimore Has 10 Pro Football Championships!
    Baltimore Colts [NFL] in 1958, 1959, 1968, and 1970
    Baltimore Stars [USFL] in 1985
    Baltimore Stallions [CFL] in 1995
    Baltimore Ravens [NFL] in 2000 and 2012
    Baltimore Mariners [AIFA] in 2010
    Baltimore Mariners [AIF] in 2014

I also think Flacco and Clayton are beginning to get on the same page. Clayton isn't pro bowl material yet but I think given everything, especially the likelihood of cutting C-Mac (salary cap issues) with the resulting hole we'll have at cornerback and the fact that we'll be picking oh around #24-26 or lower, makes picking a stud WR in the draft less important. I think we'll be looking next year at the same top 4 receiving corps (Mason, Clayton, Heap, D-Will) with the reserves being shuffled (we cut Figurs and draft maybe in the mid rounds a big WR).

IF...Clayton continues to play "better" and improve, he will be a big part of the Flacco era in the NFL. The biggest tangible that Clayton needs to learn is that being displayed by D. Mason this season! Mason was a true warrior last night leaving it all on the field!

Quote Originally Posted by ravenfever_com View Post
    Marcel ... I am glad some other fans pay attention to details !! I like the thoughts of our O the way it is now. Big threats get covered and right now Mason and Clayton can split the field.
    You are missing the point though. Mason is a possession receiver, not a downfield vertical threat (thus all the sideline patterns he gets, like yesterday).

Clayton is NOT a speed receiver that can stretch the field. He just isn't. That's not to say he can't be a good #2 receiver. But a downfield threat he isn't.

We need someone with the speed to beat cover corners.

Mark Clayton always produces when he has a legitimate quarterback throwing to him. Receiver is the most dependent position in the NFL. That's a HUGE deal!

It happened at Oklahoma.

It happened when we had a year of Steve McNair's relative best.

And it's happening again now with Joe Flacco.

Being saddled with Kyle Boller for so long really stunted his growth as a player. I'm a huge fan of this Mark Clayton. He's a smart, physical, tough football player, and the anti-TO in terms of how he approaches the game. Most of all, he's extremely reliable - the kind of guy you can win with no matter who you play.

He blocks extraordinarily well down-field given his size and has shown a knack for the big play. He's a tougher, more durable, though slightly less elusive Deion Branch circa his New England days.

I do think that adding an impact receiver (using Suggs to move up for Crabtree comes to mind) would make Clayton, Derrick Mason, and Demetrius Williams better - but Clayton deserves more credit than he gets.

The Ravens have the makings of a special NFL offense - Mark Clayton should be a part of that going forward if you ask me. He can be to Joe Flacco what Branch was to Brady. I really believe that.

And Derrick Mason isn't getting any younger either. We've come a long way since the days of Travesty Taylor, Clarence Moore and Devard Darling. Keep as much of this team together as possible, including Clayton. They have "it"!

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel#52 View Post
    I still don't get how people over look his 2006 season where he broke out and had 900+ yards and 5 tds... Clayton was then hurt a lot of 2007. He grew with Flacco this season. So next year with him and possibly mason and a new game changing target, I think we will see a new offense
    Just because it was his personal best season doesnt make it a great season for a WR. This league is littered with one-season wonders so to harken back to ONE decent season and then say it makes for a successful career would mean you'd have to include all the other one-season wonders in that discussion as well.

In 2006, Clayton was the leagues 25th best receiver --- Excuse me while I yawn a lot.

Now throw into the mix his number 1 draft status and he is not living up to his paycheck.

I want him to be the top 10 stud he was expected to be. Sadly, it's has not panned out. His stats this year give him another year to prove me wrong -- and I hope he does.

Trap, lets not make this about Boller. IIRC Derrick Mason had lots of success with Boller as the QB as well, as did Todd Heap.

This has to do with Clayton just not being the 1st round pick we thought he would be right now.