Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: What would you do?

I feel your pain. There is nothing worse than hosting or being at a party with "nonfootball people" when the Ravens are on.

Through the years I have made it abundantly clear to friends and family how vital the Ravens are to me. People adapt to my football addiction- I do not adapt to them.

My recommendation: Get new friends if they do not concede.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerracuda View Post
    Galen,

These people are guests in your house, right? If I was in your situation, I'd have the TV tuned into the game. You certainly don't have to completely ignore your guests - no need to be rude. But this game is what interests you, so you can watch the game while they discuss non-important matters amongst themselves.

Besides, there will be plenty of breaks in the game where you can devote more attention to your guests. But bottom line is, it's your house, your TV, and it's your choice as to what that TV is tuned into. After all, you are feeding these people, as well as providing free drinks (I assume), so the least they can do is leave the TV to what you want to watch without getting bitchy about it. And hey, if they did get bitchy because of something minor like that - out they go.
    Ding Ding Ding.

PP

Invite a few more Ravens fans over to make watching the game a forgone conclusion... (is that how to spell forgone ?)

No listen. Put the TV on explain to them you're a huge Ravens fan as you are. Talk to them but , keep the other eye on the game. Also what a great way to get back at the Steelers fan present. You might even convert the others into being a Ravens fan.

I am glad everyone feels my pain here :(

There is no way I can kind of watch the game and kind of be present with the guests. It is also too small of a crowd to disappear into the tv room. If the game in on the t.v., I am constitutionally unable to walk away from it. Imagine the Ravens driving and I have to go back to the table??? Never happen...once the t.v. is on I would be glued to it.

My wife would rather be watching the game too but we both missed the call when we made this arrangement. I think I will set the DVR. Not answer any phone calls. Not read any text messages and certainly not get on line.

[x] Tune into game.
    [x] Pimp-slap wife if she complains.
    [ ] Allow Steeler fan or other guest to turn off game.
    [x] Profit!

Quote Originally Posted by Fcowher View Post
    1. Watch the game.
    2. Have a few drinks and eats and enjoy the party.
    3. Leave the Stealturd fan out in the rain.
    4. Rinse/repeat.
    What does he do with the Steeler fan if it's not raining? Stick him in the shower?

Oh and Galen, you can DVR the game and find out what it's like for us UKRavens fans to watch primetime games at a thoroughly ungodly hour of the morning. :happyanim

8. Re: What would you do?

Great idea Stockers. It's a 1am kick off for us. I'll be up, work at 10am the next day but that's not important. Some of these American's don't know what it's like to wait up for a game. Pfft, fair weather fans.

That's a joke by the way...

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Sevinne View Post
    My wife and I made plans weeks ago to have some people over for dinner Saturday night...small holiday thing. I realized around Monday the conflict that creates with the Dallas game and it was too late to change anything. These are generally non-football people and one steeler fan so there is not much interest in the game from guests.

I figure there are a couple options here. Which one would you choose?

1. DVR it and watch it in its entirety after everyone leaves as if it was live.

2. Turn it on around 10:30 - 11:00 and catch the end if I can squeeze these people out of my house by then.

3. Have it on upstairs and keep sneaking up to catch updates through out the game.
    HARRYO29
    Glenn...I'd change the title of the get togehter..and tell everybody to grab a drink and JOIN me in the TV room..:hammer:

Like I said.. I've been married for over 40 years.. My wife knows that FOOTBALL is part of our life. Turn on the TV and spread the wealth.

Quote Originally Posted by UKRavenGordon View Post
    Great idea Stockers. It's a 1am kick off for us. I'll be up, work at 10am the next day but that's not important. Some of these American's don't know what it's like to wait up for a game. Pfft, fair weather fans.

That's a joke by the way...
    Not so fast, guv'ner! Try waking up at 4AM in Iraq to watch the Ravens play on the Armed Forces Network inside a smelly 100-degree tent surrounded by a bunch o' grebby Stooler & Cowboys fans spitting chewing tobacco everywhere!

That's how I spent my 2005 season, mate!! Made me wanna gip on the scabby bastards...

Wink Re: What would you do?

You are worse off than me, but I also have a social pickle. My wife has an important office-social Christmas Party to attend, starting 7 pm tomorrow. When informed of this, I told here that her hosts were totally inconsiderate Redskins fans, and that I would adhere to my long-standing policy of watching the Ravens game live, at 8pm. Moreover, I do not want to miss the pregame shows, so I told her that she was on her own at this party.

She "suggested" that I set the DVR to record both, don't catch the final score, and watch it from the beginning when we got home at 10ish. No fuckin' way!!!! I "compromised" - I'll DVR the pregame stuff from 7pm to 7:45pm, then I will promptly leave - without making a scene to our inconsiderate and oblivious hosts.

But she will have to drive me home because I will be in no shape to drive after calming my nerves all day.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).