Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What would you do?

My wife and I made plans weeks ago to have some people over for dinner Saturday night...small holiday thing. I realized around Monday the conflict that creates with the Dallas game and it was too late to change anything. These are generally non-football people and one steeler fan so there is not much interest in the game from guests.

I figure there are a couple options here. Which one would you choose?

1. DVR it and watch it in its entirety after everyone leaves as if it was live.

2. Turn it on around 10:30 - 11:00 and catch the end if I can squeeze these people out of my house by then.

3. Have it on upstairs and keep sneaking up to catch updates through out the game.

Re: What would you do?

Most definitly option three....food can pass through you quickly and we all know the upstairs bathroom is the best option.

Hell, you may even have a major "Head ache" come over you and will have to go to bed for a little bit.

Galen,

I feel this 100% since last year my wife planed her Company Christmas Party for tomorrow night at our house. We noticed the conflict right at the start of the season, however it was to late to really change it.

We decided that the game will be on the TVs and who ever wants to watch it is welcome to. Since it is a late game you should be able to eat ... chat ... drink and then flip on the game and enjoy company as you watch.

If that is not an option with your wife .... put a TV in the Bathroom and complain that something is making you feel sick most of the night LOL !!

Out of the you options I would DO them all !!

DVR just in case you miss a bad call and want to review later (like that might happen????)

Sneak peeks to see keep updated

When everyone leaves .. watch it to the end !

"It is not how you play the game that matters... It is Winning The Super Bowl that counts"... Rumor Ray

Baltimore Has 10 Pro Football Championships!
    Baltimore Colts [NFL] in 1958, 1959, 1968, and 1970
    Baltimore Stars [USFL] in 1985
    Baltimore Stallions [CFL] in 1995
    Baltimore Ravens [NFL] in 2000 and 2012
    Baltimore Mariners [AIFA] in 2010
    Baltimore Mariners [AIF] in 2014

It may be too late, but here is what I did two years ago and it's been working ever since.

Assuming you have a smart phone, iPhone, Blackberry etc, if you connect your TV to Slingbox, it will transmit the TV signal to your phone. Instead of walking away, you can glance down at your phone and watch the game.

If that's not an option, your only true option then is option 3. Or a divorce. It' a toss up! ;)

I would do a combination of 1 and 3. DVR it and then keep sneaking off to catch up. This way you can fast forward through all the crap and be sure to see actual game footage during your sneak-away time.

With any luck, the guests will leave early and the game will run late. Then you might get to see the end in real time.

1. Watch the game.
    2. Have a few drinks and eats and enjoy the party.
    3. Leave the Stealturd fan out in the rain.
    4. Rinse/repeat.
    FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!!

Surrounded by Cousin Eddies in Cincitucky (get me out of this HELLHOLE!)

Leave a TV on really low volume so that it's not intrusive. Bump it up as the night wears on and pump lot of liquor into your guests (make sure there's a Designated Driver)

I lucked out. My wife and I had to take a 4 hour shift each helping sell Christmas Trees with our Boy Scout Troop. Last week, her & our son froze their rears off in the cold. She scheduled my shift for the Saturday night, which meant that I would miss the first half.

We just got an e-mail from the scoutmaster saying they sold all the trees, so I'm off the hook!!!!!!!!!!! Wife not too happy with my good luck!

I'm a big fan of option #1, but you have to prepare. Make sure the guests know not to speak of anything football related during the party. No tvs or radios on during the party (hate to catch the teaser for the late local news). Turn off the telephone, cell phone, and unplug the internet.

Galen,

These people are guests in your house, right? If I was in your situation, I'd have the TV tuned into the game. You certainly don't have to completely ignore your guests - no need to be rude. But this game is what interests you, so you can watch the game while they discuss non-important matters amongst themselves.

Besides, there will be plenty of breaks in the game where you can devote more attention to your guests. But bottom line is, it's your house, your TV, and it's your choice as to what that TV is tuned into. After all, you are feeding these people, as well as providing free drinks (I assume), so the least they can do is leave the TV to what you want to watch without getting bitchy about it. And hey, if they did get bitchy because of something minor like that - out they go.

Talking Re: What would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Fcowher View Post
    1. Watch the game.
    2. Have a few drinks and eats and enjoy the party.
    3. Leave the Stealturd fan out in the rain.
    4. Rinse/repeat.
    We have a winner!

A radio with a small, discreet, earpiece may be an option, although it may be difficult to explain why you're dropping random MF-bombs in the middle of dessert.

BS

Dude it's time for option #4... Watch the game while everyone else eats dinner and afterward, put on your MIB glasses and utilize your "Neuralyzer" to wipe your guests' memories of what they have seen.