Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Nfl Backs Up Bad Call To Give Steelers Win And Division Title

Didn't mean to bring up an argument. Like it's been said countless times the past 36 hrs, the bottom line is the D let them march 92 yds in the first place (that, and the O couldn't punch it in the endzone all day). Anyway, just like the team, we all need to move on and take this loss. Let's all agree not to complain about the officiating, conspiracy theories, favoritism, etc. All sights set on Dallas. Let's rock n roll.

Agreed.

I'm done wondering the "what if's" of the TD call. I need to start finding a hotel near TX Stadium!
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

people it was the correct call.

Look, when a receiver catches the ball on the side or back of the goal, it still counts even when the ball does not ever truly cross the goal line in the players possession.
    You are the one who is wrong.

It still CROSS THE PLANE OF THE GOAL LINE even if the ball is outside the sideline and the player's feet are in-bounds. In other words, the plane of the goal extends upward and sideward (and technically downward) infinitely. So if a thrown pass is caught one half yard deep in the endzone but it pass outside the pylon it still breaks the plane of the goal. And "plane of the goal" is the key.

Quote Originally Posted by lloyd christmas View Post
    Didn't mean to bring up an argument. Like it's been said countless times the past 36 hrs, the bottom line is the D let them march 92 yds in the first place (that, and the O couldn't punch it in the endzone all day). Anyway, just like the team, we all need to move on and take this loss. Let's all agree not to complain about the officiating, conspiracy theories, favoritism, etc. All sights set on Dallas. Let's rock n roll.
    Meh. I'm all about looking forward and getting excited about Dallas, but this is a thread about blatantly bad officiating in the *last* game, and we as fans are entitled. Hell, we're entitled to complain about officiating even when we're *wrong*, which in this case, we're not.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

One of the great things about football is that every single play can be the one that matters most, and anyone on the field and even a coach can be the guy who made the most difference. The officials made way too much impact on the outcome of the game. Every close call, every close spot of the ball, every replay went the other way. It all adds up when you lose by an inch and they stole 5 yards.

Maybe one day we will get the elite team treatment from the refs, but the way Walt shrugged off Harbs in the tv close up said it all. How can you make that call? F you buddy, that is how.

I am not really as mad about this one as I was at the Malice in the heart game or week 13 last year, where we just got abused all night long 13-4 in penalties when they were pushing off and blocking in the back all night long, and only got flagged for flinching, and it actually kept them from losing once.

Walt is on the list right after Mike Carey, but I think we are really coming off as sympathetic and the victim in the national media instead of whiners because of how Harbs has handled himself and the team. In the long run, I am just going to have to hope things balance out and we get another shot at the Steelers with no Mike Carey or Walt Coleman in the stadium unless they are part of the concrete foundation.

the ball has to cross the goaline, which it did not....b.s. call, b.s. overturn, but none the less it didn't cost us the game....allowing 7 first downs on the final drive when we only allowed 6 all game is what cost us.....but one thing i noticed re-watching the game last night, is check out the spot that hines ward got down around the 5 or 6 yd line on their final first down, looked to me he was well short of the first, but the refs moved the chains without measurement...

Again !! I am over this game .. 100% clean slate ..

2 Wins and In ... then get even in the Playoffs !!

"It is not how you play the game that matters... It is Winning The Super Bowl that counts"... Rumor Ray

Baltimore Has 10 Pro Football Championships!
    Baltimore Colts [NFL] in 1958, 1959, 1968, and 1970
    Baltimore Stars [USFL] in 1985
    Baltimore Stallions [CFL] in 1995
    Baltimore Ravens [NFL] in 2000 and 2012
    Baltimore Mariners [AIFA] in 2010
    Baltimore Mariners [AIF] in 2014

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Jesus people it was the correct call.

Look, when a receiver catches the ball on the side or back of the goal, it still counts even when the ball does not ever truly cross the goal line in the players possession.

Same applies with the front of the goal. We would want the same call 100 times out of 100.

You're all arguing as if it was a rushing TD where the ball does indeed have to cross the plane.
    Look how many TD's are called when a "receiver" catches the ball "with both feet down" in the back corner of the endzone. His feet are in and the ball is out of bounds. Same call... a TD.
    The rules for a runner advancing the ball from the "field of play" into the endzone and a "receiver making a legal catch in the endzone" are different. Remember after a receiver makes a legal catch on the field of play and steps forward to advance the ball, he is now a "runner". Coaches of all people should be familiar with the rules too.
    It's a tough way to see your team get scored on but the bottom line is the refs made the right call. Even if they got it wrong and the Steelers either went for it on 4th down or kicked the tying FG. To allow the Steelers the opportunities to drive the ball 92 yards like that exposed the Ravens defense. The ensuing kickoff only gave Pittsburgh an opportunity to intercept a pass and who knows, that may have been returned for 6 points. In an O/T period, the Steelers may have done the same thing who knows?

There was someone on NFL Network this morning (a former NFL ref who's name escapes me) who said the same -- that pass on the goal line can be looked at as if is on the side or back of the end zone.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

There was someone on NFL Network this morning (a former NFL ref who's name escapes me) who said the same -- that pass on the goal line can be looked at as if is on the side or back of the end zone.
    And they would be wrong.

I'm absolutely stunned that some of you can't see the difference between a catch like Holmes and catch on the side of the endzone or the back of the endzone. In the 2 latter cases, the ball has already crossed the plane and possession with 2 feet in bounds is what needs to be confirmed.

Like Greg said earlier, the goal line plane runs up/down/left/right infinitely. There is no scenario where a TD is legal where the ball doesn't cross that plane.

Coleman botched the wording of the call on the field. Their true contention is that the nose of the ball did indeed cross the plane which in almost everyone else's opinion, didn't happen.

Here is a direct quote from the NFL:

"Walt Coleman determined via high-def video review that the receiver had possession and two feet down with the ball in the goal line, meaning it broke the plane."
    The spokesman said Mike Pereira, the NFL's vice president of officiating, backed the Coleman ruling after replay
    PP
    Last edited by purplepoe; 12-17-2008 at 01:51 PM.

PP,

Certainly not the first time I am wrong.

Was that Pereira quote from NFL Network? If so, I want to check my DVR for it.

PP,

Certainly not the first time I am wrong.

Was that Pereira quote from NFL Network? If so, I want to check my DVR for it.
    It was a response from the the NFL in regards to an email regarding the play in question.

I did not and do not watch Perreria on NFLN because quite frankly it's a waste of time.

PP

Purplepoe is absolutely correct, the front of the endzone and the sides and back are completely different. This just happens to be a weird play but just because he has both feet down in the front of the endzone does not make it a TD, the ball always has to cross the goal line with possession for it to be a ruled a TD. Had the Refs ruled it a TD on the field and overturned that I would have thought that was a bad call as well...yes I would have been more pleased but it would have been the wrong call.

The bottom line is you are only supposed to overturn a call on the field if there is zero doubt that overturning the call makes it the right call, and no matter how they ruled it on the field there is no video anywhere that you can say can make you change your mind without doubt.

Again this is not why we lost the game, but there were bad calls against both us and Pitt in this game and all year round and this shit has to come to end soon, as the Refs are taking the game out of the players hands.
    Hating Steeler Fans Since Birth

Section 126, Row 33

Lets Go Flacco

I agree that there were missed opportunities. I get mad because the shoudas, coulda, wouldas, what ifs - can't do anything about them. They are pure speculation. As a fan, however, I expect my team is going to get a well-officiated game and this one was far from it. At least He-Man Ed Hocculi (sp?) manned up and admitted that he made a mistake. Walt Coleman seemed indignant that his call was even questioned. That running play that gave them a first down was not even close! That little snafu led to a field goal instead of a punt. As for the faux-TD, my step-father was a coach and I was taught ball first, body second. The ball is primary and the position of your body only becomes a factor once the ball has crossed the plane. Case in point, 99% of your body can be out of bounds but if the ball breaks the plane or crosses the pylon - TD. If you're a receiver and the play is anywhere in the endzone, your body becomes the deciding factor because the ball has already crossed the plane. I'm not clear about this argument that there are different rules for rushing and receiving TDs. That's simply not right. Placement, ball control and boundaries - that's it. Coleman and the NFL can release all the rule-speak they want. They screwed up. I move for the magnetic chip to be installed for next year. Make the markers and goal lines magnetic. If the chip (and ball) activates the sensor, first down or touchdown. This is ridiculous that seasons and divisions are lost on poor judgement and out-and-out bias. This is 2008. If they can do it in freaking tennis, can't we do it in the NFL?
    Sick and tired of transplants. If Pissburgh is so great, carry your black-lung asses back there.

With the money the NFL makes... make officials - at least the ones with the white hats - a FULL time position. Have them assist and participate in the meetings with the owners and such in the off season, make sure they are fully able to focus on their job as an official. Know all the rules inside and out. For a while I was a head judge for tournament gaming, it pretty much was my job - and everyone including me expected me to know every little fracking thing in the game - and at the time I did.

[/rant]
    Keeping the purple flowing way out on the West Coast!