Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Nfl Backs Up Bad Call To Give Steelers Win And Division Title

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    There was someone on NFL Network this morning (a former NFL ref who's name escapes me) who said the same -- that pass on the goal line can be looked at as if is on the side or back of the end zone.
    And they would be wrong.

I'm absolutely stunned that some of you can't see the difference between a catch like Holmes and catch on the side of the endzone or the back of the endzone. In the 2 latter cases, the ball has already crossed the plane and possession with 2 feet in bounds is what needs to be confirmed.

Like Greg said earlier, the goal line plane runs up/down/left/right infinitely. There is no scenario where a TD is legal where the ball doesn't cross that plane.

Coleman botched the wording of the call on the field. Their true contention is that the nose of the ball did indeed cross the plane which in almost everyone else's opinion, didn't happen.

Here is a direct quote from the NFL:

"Walt Coleman determined via high-def video review that the receiver had possession and two feet down with the ball in the goal line, meaning it broke the plane."
    The spokesman said Mike Pereira, the NFL's vice president of officiating, backed the Coleman ruling after replay
    PP
    Last edited by purplepoe; 12-17-2008 at 01:51 PM.

PP,

Certainly not the first time I am wrong.

Was that Pereira quote from NFL Network? If so, I want to check my DVR for it.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    PP,

Certainly not the first time I am wrong.

Was that Pereira quote from NFL Network? If so, I want to check my DVR for it.
    It was a response from the the NFL in regards to an email regarding the play in question.

I did not and do not watch Perreria on NFLN because quite frankly it's a waste of time.

PP

Purplepoe is absolutely correct, the front of the endzone and the sides and back are completely different. This just happens to be a weird play but just because he has both feet down in the front of the endzone does not make it a TD, the ball always has to cross the goal line with possession for it to be a ruled a TD. Had the Refs ruled it a TD on the field and overturned that I would have thought that was a bad call as well...yes I would have been more pleased but it would have been the wrong call.

The bottom line is you are only supposed to overturn a call on the field if there is zero doubt that overturning the call makes it the right call, and no matter how they ruled it on the field there is no video anywhere that you can say can make you change your mind without doubt.

Again this is not why we lost the game, but there were bad calls against both us and Pitt in this game and all year round and this shit has to come to end soon, as the Refs are taking the game out of the players hands.
    Hating Steeler Fans Since Birth

Section 126, Row 33

Lets Go Flacco :happyanim

I agree that there were missed opportunities. I get mad because the shoudas, coulda, wouldas, what ifs - can't do anything about them. They are pure speculation. As a fan, however, I expect my team is going to get a well-officiated game and this one was far from it. At least He-Man Ed Hocculi (sp?) manned up and admitted that he made a mistake. Walt Coleman seemed indignant that his call was even questioned. That running play that gave them a first down was not even close! That little snafu led to a field goal instead of a punt. As for the faux-TD, my step-father was a coach and I was taught ball first, body second. The ball is primary and the position of your body only becomes a factor once the ball has crossed the plane. Case in point, 99% of your body can be out of bounds but if the ball breaks the plane or crosses the pylon - TD. If you're a receiver and the play is anywhere in the endzone, your body becomes the deciding factor because the ball has already crossed the plane. I'm not clear about this argument that there are different rules for rushing and receiving TDs. That's simply not right. Placement, ball control and boundaries - that's it. Coleman and the NFL can release all the rule-speak they want. They screwed up. I move for the magnetic chip to be installed for next year. Make the markers and goal lines magnetic. If the chip (and ball) activates the sensor, first down or touchdown. This is ridiculous that seasons and divisions are lost on poor judgement and out-and-out bias. This is 2008. If they can do it in freaking tennis, can't we do it in the NFL?
    Sick and tired of transplants. If Pissburgh is so great, carry your black-lung asses back there.

With the money the NFL makes... make officials - at least the ones with the white hats - a FULL time position. Have them assist and participate in the meetings with the owners and such in the off season, make sure they are fully able to focus on their job as an official. Know all the rules inside and out. For a while I was a head judge for tournament gaming, it pretty much was my job - and everyone including me expected me to know every little fracking thing in the game - and at the time I did.

[/rant]
    Keeping the purple flowing way out on the West Coast!

There are plenty of well respected and educated officials in the NFL. Ones who know the rules inside and out. Ones who, regardless of getting paid only part of the year, educate and better themselves during their off season. All that work without pay, just to be the best at their positions. It is those officials ladies and gentlemen, who are not assigned to work Ravens games.
    I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08192/896037-66.stm

Read this article and you will start to understand how the Steelers get the calls they get.

The fact is they have gotten preferrential treatment for years and have had gambling ties since inception. Crooked dealings baby!