Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Ward, Cherry to IR

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag
    if he's on IR, doesn't that rule out the "injury settlement"?
    I would certainly think so. After all, if they have placed him on IR, then he is entitled to his entire base salary, whereas an injury settlement is for something substantially less. So, what would Ward's motivation be to accept an injury settlement, and less money, once he has been put on IR (and entitled to his full salary)?!??

EDIT: Well, I guess he could accept the injury settlement if he felt he could catch on somewhere else and still play this season.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

He probably got a migraine from listening to Billick bitch at him.

3. Re: Ward, Cherry to IR

My understanding is that Ward was going to be cut anyway and had drawn Billick's ire repeatedly. This does guarantee his salary for the season in 17 game check increments. I doubt he will be back next season. It's really not a big deal. It also means Jamaine Winborne just made the team in all likelihood barring a major need or injury at another position arising in the next few days.

I think Jermaine Winborne won his spot in the last 2 games making a couple of heads-up plays. If Aaron is right about BJ Ward and his attitude and drawing Billick's ire, then we don't need him here.

Why bother to IR someone who you don't want on the team in the future? Seems like a waste of Steve B.'s money to me.

This smells of a "Pashos' hand IR" scenario...
    Exactly, they are grooming him to possibly start next year.

They just don't think he is ready, and don't wnat to waste a spot on him. Look for him to really fight for the spot next to Ed Reed next year.

Blog Entries

according to Aaron's notes, I guess it's not that, but still, you wonder why they'd IR him rather than just straight out cutting him...

Good news about Jamaine Winborne though, that kid is AWESOME.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

you wonder why they'd IR him rather than just straight out cutting him
    You can't straight out cut an injured player. You either have to get him to agree to a settlement (and it takes two to tango) or you have to IR him.
    Oderint dum metuant

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens0587
    Exactly, they are grooming him to possibly start next year.

They just don't think he is ready, and don't wnat to waste a spot on him. Look for him to really fight for the spot next to Ed Reed next year.
    I very much doubt that. Read Aaron's post and think about it, if he was going to get cut this year, with the open competition at S and the unproven players we have competing there, how is he going to make it next year when Landry will (likely) have a year's experience starting, Sapp will be more experienced, and we may draft or bring in another player.
    ''You'd love to go on the first day but I'm glad for the situation I'm in,'' he said. ''Baltimore knows how to play defense.''

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Wilson View Post
    By Aaron Wilson
    Contributing writer
    OWINGS MILLS -- The Ravens placed safety B.J. Ward (migraines) and wide receiver Matt Cherry (shoulder) on injured reserve Tuesday, ending their seasons.
    The roster moves gets the Ravens down to 75 players, the league-mandated limit.
    Meanwhile, safety Gerome Sapp (migraines) and offensive guard Brian Rimpf (hamstring) didn't practice.
    *14-year flashback*

Matt Cherry was IR'd out of Ravens existence only to resurface at the Oscar's last night. Strange world.

Odd to see Aaron Wilson once posted here and weird to see the discussion of Billick.

Not at all odd to see that Mike Preston was stirring up some shit by implying Billick had personal reasons for getting rid of BJ Ward.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    *14-year flashback*

Matt Cherry was IR'd out of Ravens existence only to resurface at the Oscar's last night. Strange world.

Odd to see Aaron Wilson once posted here and weird to see the discussion of Billick.

Not at all odd to see that Mike Preston was stirring up some shit by implying Billick had personal reasons for getting rid of BJ Ward.
    Did not know this board existed in 2006, man has time flown bye.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    *14-year flashback*

Outstanding!

too much time on my hands

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!