Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Coldest game?

Re: Coldest game?

I lost my toes by halftime and unlaced the boots and stuck hand warmers in them.

Quote Originally Posted by TRAP View Post
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

How about the last time we were in Denver in the cold and rain. I think you were at that game - as usual

There was also the game in the rain and cold up in Philly when Boller started and floundered and another cold game in Green Bay a few years ago.

Then there was the recent PO game vs the Colts here in the rain and it was cold - not like last night but it wasnt warm.

There were others too like the PO game vs Tenn here in 03. It was a night game and cold. We were cold during the taigates but it wasnt cold up in the club level. I think you sat up there too because it was too cold and you traded seats with someone so you could stay warm.

I remember a lot of complaints on this board that Billick practiced inside too much.

That was one of the first things Ozzie told HARB when he came here. So during the Mini Camps HARB made the team practice outside in the rain and in the cold during the season instead of inside.

The results show.
    Yeah, that 2006 Denver sleet/wind/cold as shit game sticks out in my mind as well as the 2005 away game at Pittsburgh that myself, Mista T and Fred Grau made the journey to... I almost pulled out my K-Bar and amputated both feet after that fiasco!!

Then there was the recent PO game vs the Colts here in the rain and it was cold - not like last night but it wasnt warm. There were others too like the PO game vs Tenn here in 03. It was a night game and cold. We were cold during the taigates but it wasnt cold up in the club level. I think you sat up there too because it was too cold and you traded seats with someone so you could stay warm.
    Cold? It was 63 degrees at gametime - both times.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Bez513 View Post
    I was wondering what people thought if that game was the coldest game we've had? They said it was about 10 with the wind chill. I thought last years game vs. NE was cold but I felt colder last night. Even with 2 pairs of wool socks and snow boots my toes were frozen by the 3rd quarter.

Anyone have a secret keeping toes warm...please teach me! No alchol please. :)
    It was up there. I have been to every Ravens home game and they blur together but I think the Viking game, maybe the year after we won the Super Bowl was horrible as was the Patriots game last year. For us old timers, how many remember the last game the Colts played against Houston(I think), it was brutal cold and the stands were half empty. It was sad and Cold.

Wink Re: Coldest game?

I'm still confused about this supposed cold weather jinx. I had never heard that we have one, and the numbers don't support it. It typically gets cold in December. For the past ten seasons, the Ravens' December-January record has been 31-18 -- 63%. The Ravens' September-November record has been 65-52 -- 56%. i.e. we have witnessed better play in the coldest months of the season.

We did once have a bad streak of night games in the rain, but, except for the Denver game mentioned by Camden Yard where several of us on this thread got soaked in the 34 degree rainstorm, none of those night games were particularly cold.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Anyone remember the "Ghost to the Post" game, Colts vs. Raiders in 1977? I was 10 but remember that game being atrociously cold and since it was double overtime it could have been the coldest for me.

The Colts playoff game in January of 2007 was warm and rainy, with a cold front coming through at anytime. I remember this because everyone laughed at the laundry basket of clothes I brought to tailgate, I truly did not know how to dress I even had spare shoes/boots. I've taken less on a weeks vacation.
    The Colt game that was so nasty was the Sunday night after the New England game last year. It sleeted, I had ice on my eyebrows and it is the only game we have ever left early. I swear the NFL thinks we live in FL with night games in December.

8. Re: Coldest game?

The Colts Playoff game was not "rainy" or cold...I just looked at my photos of the game to recall and the stand shots show people with their jackets off, not covered up, and not wet...even the cheerleaders hair werent wet! haha

It was warm for january..id call it comfortable.

The colts game in 07 it just poured in the middle/end of the 1st quarter and we were already down like 21-0, i left that night too, first time ever...i was home by halftime, and was actually glad I left and didnt stay in the rain to watch what was inevitable..
    Season ticket holder since 1996 Section 148 Tailgate Lot H
    See my photos and video at www.bmoreravens.com

It was indeed rainy. and warm. it was not a constant deluge of rain. It was misty and drizzly for the entire game though.
    I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!

On how to combat the elements

I get cold easily, especially up in section 526 row 26 where the wind can howl near the top of the stadium.

Found a new trick for this game -- bought a pair of Carhartt extreme overalls -- they're lined and much better than the ski gear I used to wear. Guess hunting is more analogous to football watching (sit and drink) than skiing.

Also the grabber warmers -- not only can you get them for your feet, but now they have a bigger version that you can stick on your back and get heat for the whole game -- makes up for the cold seat.

LL Bean flannel lined or fleece lined jeans are another way to go
    http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/sto...781-ppxs&dds=y

Quote Originally Posted by TRAP View Post
    Ah yea, I was there too and I'll tell you a funny story about how we lost.

John Madden said last year on MNF that game had everything - offense, defense and special teams. The game was in Dec, 1977.

As you say, we lost it on the Ghost to Post Play.

A few years ago Scott Garceau MCed Nest 1's Scholarship Banquet and Bruce Laird was there. He kidded Bruce that he saw that game on the Classics Channel and all you see is Bruce trailing The Ghost into the end zone as the game ended.

Bruce said wait a minute. I wasnt even supposed to be over there. I had my man covered. I was trying to help out after the linebacker forgot to pick up the TE going to the post. Bruce had a hell of a game himself with a 62 yd interception return, ala Ed Reed, for a TD. We led at halftime 10-7.

I asked Bruce afterwards if Stan White was that linebacker who forgot and he laughed and said yea.

Then I saw the game on the Classic Channel and you dont see Stan anywhere on the play as Bruce follows the Te into the endzone.

They would have won anyway because Madden said on MNF that it was 3rd down so they wanted to give it one more shot and then kick the FG to win the game if the played failed. They were in range.

For those too young to know, its called the Ghost to Post play because its a play where the TE cuts across the middle to get a mismatch on the linebacker and he heads straight to the goal post.

All teams have it. I think the Ravens call it the Post Play as most teams do.

OAK called it that because Dave Casper was the TE and principal of the play. His nick name was the Ghost after Casper the Friendly Ghost cartoon series that were popular back then.

So when Madden put it in the play book he named it the Ghost to Post play.

Shannan Sharpe scored a TD on it in one of the Tenn games during our SB run.

The advantage is with the receiver because he's running to the goal post and sees it while the defender has to take his eye off the ball to look for the post so he doesnt run into it.

A split second is all a good TE needs to make his move and catch the ball as he did vs Stan and Casper was one of the best of that era and entered the HOF. That catch is one of the most memorable in NFL history .

It was a hi scoring game and the 2d longest in NFL history. Bert Jones would throw a TD then Ken The Snake Stabler came downfield with a TD. Then Bert threw another TD. Then The Snake came back down the field for another TD. Bellichek recently said Bert was the best pure passer he ever saw and it's rumored he could throw 100 yds. Ernie Accorsi, Giants GM of SB35 said he would have been the greatest QB ever under different circumstances, ie, a better team. Bert was 1 of 3 QBs in the 70s to get 100 plus rating. Stabler and Roger Staubach were the others.

I don't know what Madden meant saying there was defense. Both Ds took the day off.
    Nearly 70 pts were scored in that game. Too bad we lost because we could have beaten Denver and won another SB trophy that year had we won.

Madden said it is one of the most memorable games of his career.

Bmore beat OAK in the PO for the SB5 trophy when the Colts won it, which btw was maybe the coldest game ever played in Bmore and in a snow blizzard to boot. The big bad Raiders got bombarded with snow balls and went into the tunnel and refused to come out until the cops cleared all the throwers out. The game was delayed 20-30 mins. They were scared to come out. When they did they never took their helmets off on the side lines. I was there too.

OAK beat us in 1977 but lost to Denver. They beat us but got the crap beat out of them.

Then the Baltimore Ravens beat OAK in our run for the SB35 trophy in 2000.

Revenge is sweet even if its with a new franchise and 3 decades later. LOL.
    you're not so bad Trap....when you stick to analysis of football

Bert Jones could have been one of the greats if he didn't shred his shoulder so early in his career. I also think we might still be watching the Balltimore Colts if he didn't get hurt. The days of Billy Troup will not go down as some of my favorite baltimore football days.

In the Ghost to the Post game, Jones missed Raymond Chester wide open down the left sideline headimg towards the open end of the Memorial. I think it was in the first overtime period. If he hits Chester, Colts win and who knows what would have happened.

I believe it was the opening game of 1978 against Dallas on Monday night where Joned dislocated his right shoulder...Baltimore Colts were never the same.