Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Letterman's Top 10 Reasons for Palin

Quote Originally Posted by Rochardrik View Post
    I go back to an argument(discussion) you and I had months ago. In case you hadn't noticed, the basest of our society are calling themselves conservatives, because they think it means it's dictionary definition. These people wish to turn back the hands of time, and live in the fifties.
    I dont know where you get your misconceptions about conservatism and what it is about. They are completely not true. Read people like William F. Buckley, Alfred Regnery or even Clarence Thomas's bio that came out last year. Conservatives are NOT looking to do some magical return to a time lost. Conservatives have always been about established principles such as smaller federal govt, larger portion of Federalism via more states rights, taxation system based on consuption and not redistribution of wealth, etc. Being a long time member of The Federalist Society, I have never heard one person mention anything other then wanting certain principles in place.

They have NO idea what conservatism means politically, and the furthrence of Sarah Palin's career would only bolster their cause. If this happens, The party and the ideal will be lost for a while.. quite a while!... When Hank Williams Jr. does a song about Palin to the tune of why do I drink...............it's a family tradition.... well...'nuff said, and if the party can't read the tea leaves, then it deserves to become a casualty of the "selection process"
    I have no idea if Palin is or is not a conservative, and quite frankly, could care less. What I do care about his history. And assuming conservatives rally and get their shit together, history bodes well for us in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I have no idea if Palin is or is not a conservative, and quite frankly, could care less. What I do care about his history. And assuming conservatives rally and get their shit together, history bodes well for us in 2012.
    The problem right now is the republicans have screwed up and muddied the idea of conservatism. You tend to simplify things though...who doesn't want smaller government? less taxes? Even Obama who many will say is the most liberal of all senators is calling for a more efficient government and a net tax decrease.

Conservatism has become more about social principles and those conservatives who get the most press time to discuss conservatism, always move the discussion towards having more fundamental views of social arrangements. That won't work. Making it worse for conservatives is that any third party attempt to move away from a social conservatism is doomed to only getting 1-2% if that of the vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Sevinne View Post
    The problem right now is the republicans have screwed up and muddied the idea of conservatism
    Get no argument from me there. The GOP has been straying away from it's base the last 2 election cycles and they got burned for it.

You tend to simplify things though...who doesn't want smaller government? less taxes? Even Obama who many will say is the most liberal of all senators is calling for a more efficient government and a net tax decrease
    Efficiency does not equal less. When conservatives say smaller federal gubmint, they are basically saying less social programs and less spending at the federal level. That notion is directly tied to increasing Federalism. Texas is the perfect example -- all the same social programs as the most blue of states but they do so with no state income tax and comparable property and sales taxes (although, the sales tax is on the high side at 8.25%). Reason? People give more when they have more money in their pockets.

Conservatism has become more about social principles and those conservatives who get the most press time to discuss conservatism, always move the discussion towards having more fundamental views of social arrangements. That won't work. Making it worse for conservatives is that any third party attempt to move away from a social conservatism is doomed to only getting 1-2% if that of the vote.
    You're so right about the 3rd party angle. But I have always said I am a conservative first and a Republican second. I cannot recall the last time I contributed to the GOP -- maybe 3 years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I dont know where you get your misconceptions about conservatism and what it is about. They are completely not true. Read people like William F. Buckley, Alfred Regnery or even Clarence Thomas's bio that came out last year. Conservatives are NOT looking to do some magical return to a time lost. Conservatives have always been about established principles such as smaller federal govt, larger portion of Federalism via more states rights, taxation system based on consuption and not redistribution of wealth, etc. Being a long time member of The Federalist Society, I have never heard one person mention anything other then wanting certain principles in place.

I'm sorry, you are not comprehending what I say. I do not disagree with you. I'm telling you the "conservative" label is being hi-jacked by people who believe it to be what the dictionary definition of the word is. They have no idea of it's political meaning. They have their own ideas of what the term means, and it is not even close to how you view it! Trust me.. I have a paving company that employs over a hundred laborers, equipment operators, and truck drivers, who ALL consider themselves conservative. Which to them means: stop immigration, legal or otherwise, legalize guns of ANY kind, or number, stop affirmative action, and abolish welfare. It doesn't go any further than that, except they are about 90% racist. Palin's rallies exemplified their view. Including the disparaging remarks about blacks. It is my view that Palin, for whatever reason, completely encourages these neandertals. It's easy to draw the conclusion then, that she is BAD for the party!!![/I]

Gotcha.

My bad.

I'm sorry, you are not comprehending what I say. I do not disagree with you. I'm telling you the "conservative" label is being hi-jacked by people who believe it to be what the dictionary definition of the word is. They have no idea of it's political meaning. They have their own ideas of what the term means, and it is not even close to how you view it! Trust me.. I have a paving company that employs over a hundred laborers, equipment operators, and truck drivers, who ALL consider themselves conservative. Which to them means: stop immigration, legal or otherwise, legalize guns of ANY kind, or number, stop affirmative action, and abolish welfare. It doesn't go any further than that, except they are about 90% racist. Palin's rallies exemplified their view. Including the disparaging remarks about blacks. It is my view that Palin, for whatever reason, completely encourages these neandertals. It's easy to draw the conclusion then, that she is BAD for the party!!![/I]
    You could quite easily make the same statement abotu Obama towards whites, as far as encouragement goes, but alas, it didn't hurt him...

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    You could quite easily make the same statement abotu Obama towards whites, as far as encouragement goes, but alas, it didn't hurt him...
    Are you talking his grandmother comments? That's the only one I can think of, know of any others.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller