Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Eagles - Duuhhhh what's a tie?

Only saw this now:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/s...=ESPNHeadlines

"I've never been a part of a tie. I never even knew that was in the rule book," McNabb said after the game. "It's part of the rules, and we have to go with it. I was looking forward to getting the opportunity to get out there and try to drive to win the game. But unfortunately, with the rules, we settled with a tie."
    lol

Re: Eagles - Duuhhhh what's a tie?

'Tis a far, far better thing to lose to a good team than tie a really bad team.

I was shocked that McNabb claimed that he didn't know about this rule -- the guy has been a starting QB for many years, and he didn't know about this? That the game ends in a tie if no one scores in overtime? How could he not know this basic fact?

I'd like to think he was kidding, but I can't buy that either, because he ending up looking like an idiot.

This speaks volumes about his knowledge of the rules of football. I wonder what else he doesn't know?

5. Re: Eagles - Duuhhhh what's a tie?

I laughed so hard I almost pee'd myself when I saw this on ESPN. How stupid can you make yourself look? This is your JOB and you do not know the rule about OT? My oh my!

Surrounded by Cousin Eddies in Cincitucky (get me out of this HELLHOLE!)

In "The Best Game Ever Played", about the 1958 Giants/Colts championship game, some of those players were already in the locker room after regulation because they didn't know about Sudden Death.

I'm not excusing McNabb, who is apparently a dumb@ss. Complete knowlege of the rule book, especially for a QB is much more of a prerequisite today than it was 50 years ago.

I think we should be really, really happy that we're getting the Eagles right now. They look absolutely lifeless, like they're ready to go on a five game losing streak.

- C -

Surrounded by Cousin Eddies in Cincitucky (get me out of this HELLHOLE!)

Agreed. I watched the entire game on Sunday, and though the Bengals played with a lot of heart, The Eagles were not focused at all.

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    I think we should be really, really happy that we're getting the Eagles right now. They look absolutely lifeless, like they're ready to go on a five game losing streak.

- C -

There should not be ties in the NFL anyway. Look for a rule change next year...time to go college on this.
    M&T Bank Stadium - Section 513
    Proud Season Ticket Holder since 1998

I found it more amusing that Whines Hard claimed to not know about the tie rule, despite the fact he played in one six years ago.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/f...,1291121.story

"No, I didn't know," Ward said. "I thought we were the last team to do it when we played the Falcons. I thought we just played it until you have a winner or something. It's kind of weird now that you can still tie ballgames."

Kind of contradicts himself too. What a dumbass. God I hate him.

Quote Originally Posted by FellsPointRaven View Post
    I found it more amusing that Whines Hard claimed to not know about the tie rule, despite the fact he played in one six years ago.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/f...,1291121.story

"No, I didn't know," Ward said. "I thought we were the last team to do it when we played the Falcons. I thought we just played it until you have a winner or something. It's kind of weird now that you can still tie ballgames."

Kind of contradicts himself too. What a dumbass. God I hate him.
    +1

Interesting that there seems to be quite a lot of players unaware of the ruling or rather how OT works. Could the fact that there's only been 4 ties (I think, it's not many) since 1990, they simply don't occur, a winner usually happens in OT that the players simply think you play until someone wins? Not defending the idiocy, you should know it as a player, but ties are very rare occurences.

Personally I think you either need to incorporate aspects of the college system (actually only one aspect, that both teams get equal possessions, you've gotta keep special teams as part of OT) or just do away with it completely and have ties after regulation.