Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggs

Suggs

To me, it appeared Suggs was mostly MIA yesterday. I know he missed a few assignments by staying in his lanes during the Giant runs. This was a anomaly, b/c Suggs, all year, has been excellent with his run support. As far as generating a pass rush, he did not look like he got in Manning's face much. I am getting a little scared that a pattern is occuring with Suggs' pass rush. He dominates the subpar/inexperienced OTs like Oakland & Houston and looks like seconding coming of LT. Unfortunately, he has very quiet days against good OTs like the Colts' & Giants' (he was quiet against Joe Thomas of the Browns too until the last INT). If we are going to pay him franchise bucks to be the centerpiece of defense moving forward, I expect a little more consistency. Contrast that to 52, even in Ray's 'bad' games, he is still making solid defensive contributions, just not spectacular. I dont like these 'quiet' Suggs games against the better competition. Also, without Pryce in the future, will Suggs still be dominating? He wasn't last year with Pryce injured. Sorry, but I have watched a lot of James Harrison's game, and to me, he is a more explosive pass rusher.

I like Suggs, but I am fearful that if we sign him to the big bucks, the return on investment may not be there. The FO seriously f---ed up with signing McGahee and McNair to stupid contracts. Hopefully they will make a lot of good FA decisions after this season, b/c we could seriously help the team or seriously cripple with the right or wrong ones.
    Last edited by ravensnhokies; 11-17-2008 at 01:42 PM.

Re: Suggs

I am not the biggest Suggs backer on these boards, but I give him a pass for yesterday's game. He was not the only person who failed to show up yesterday.

I do agree with your one concern though. I am also thinking that once he gets the fat contract, he will lose some of that intensity.

Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    To me, it appeared Suggs was mostly MIA yesterday. I know he missed a few assignments by staying in his lanes during the Giant runs. This was a anomaly, b/c Suggs, all year, has been excellent with his run support. As far as generating a pass rush, he did not look like he got in Manning's face much. I am getting a little scared that a pattern is occuring with Suggs' pass rush. He dominates the subpar/inexperienced OTs like Oakland & Houston and looks like seconding coming of LT. Unfortunately, he has very quiet days against good OTs like the Colts' & Giants' (he was quiet against Joe Thomas of the Browns too until the last INT). If we are going to pay him franchise bucks to be the centerpiece of defense moving forward, I expect a little more consistency. Contrast that to 52, even in Ray's 'bad' games, he is still making solid defensive contributions, just not spectacular. I dont like these 'quiet' Suggs games against the better competition. Also, without Pryce in the future, will Suggs still be dominating? He wasn't last year with Pryce injured. Sorry, but I have watched a lot of James Harrison's game, and to me, he is a more explosive pass rusher.

I like Suggs, but I am fearful that if we sign him to the big bucks, the return on investment may not be there. The FO seriously f---ed up with signing McGahee and McNair to stupid contracts. Hopefully they will make a lot of good FA decisions after this season, b/c we could seriously help the team or seriously cripple with the right or wrong ones.
    You're reaching, IMHO.

This cat is just entering his peak years, is a bona fide PLAYMAKER having a Pro Bowl season and you're worried about him?

Once again, the sky is falling in Baltimore...:grbac:

I always feel like we have a great team up until we play real teams. I don't think we get fried by good teams because we are good among bad teams, but it seems like we never bring our A game whenever we play real opponents. Its really frustrating and makes me feel like we just dont have the talent that other teams have.
    :D ;) :D

Our offense is still finding it's way and our success is 99.9% predicated on our defense playing its usual stellar game.

If our defense has an off day, we effectively only have a 00.1% chance of winning, even against mediocre competition.

I haven't crunched those numbers or verified them through FilmStudy's football laboratory in Los Alamos, New Mexico, but I'm pretty sure that's the case.

Our offense is beginning to blossom little by little though, so soon we may be able to pull out a win even if the defense lays an egg.

But to the original point of this thread, Suggs is a beast and losing a stud like him, especially since we drafted him, would fly in the face of common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Andon View Post
    I always feel like we have a great team up until we play real teams. I don't think we get fried by good teams because we are good among bad teams, but it seems like we never bring our A game whenever we play real opponents. Its really frustrating and makes me feel like we just dont have the talent that other teams have.
    Really so what did we do in Pittsburgh, and at home against Tenn and last year against the Pats. Yes Indy and yesterday were bad but you are reaching on that one.
    Hating Steeler Fans Since Birth

Section 126, Row 33

Lets Go Flacco :happyanim

Quote Originally Posted by RAVENOUS52 View Post
    You're reaching, IMHO.

This cat is just entering his peak years, is a bona fide PLAYMAKER having a Pro Bowl season and you're worried about him?

Once again, the sky is falling in Baltimore...:grbac:
    Reaching....

Fact is a Fact... Suggs has had quiet games against better competition. I want him to have an excellent game against an excellent OT before I anoint him a 'PLAYMAKER'/'GAMECHANGER'....whatever term you want to use. I like Suggs but if he is going to get paid as a franchise centerpiece (at least thats his asking price) and play mediocre in big games, it will be more of the same we have seen the past 7-8yrs. If thats ok with you, fine....ok. It aint fine with me. The highest salaried players on the team should have good games every game. Right now we have an average at best RB on our team that we cannot cut next year b/c it will result in an exorbitant cap hit. That is an extremely poor decision by the FO. We cannot repeat this.

If our defense has an off day, we effectively only have a 00.1% chance of winning, even against mediocre competition.
    I don't believe that...anymore. Our success seems to be shifting towards how well can we run the ball. If we run, we win.

BTW, the defense wasn't that good in Cleveland, and we won that game.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Fact is a Fact... Suggs has had quiet games against better competition.
    No question!

Great/Elite players show up and make plays every Sunday. We'll see going forward what happens with the Suggs situation. No matter what any fan thinks about the guys play he can be counted on to suit up every week. This team has too many injury prone type players collecting checks.

Not to call any one player out but when is Dan Wilcox going to play a full season? Hopefully the ravens start to rectify this in the coming offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    I don't believe that...anymore. Our success seems to be shifting towards how well can we run the ball. If we run, we win.

BTW, the defense wasn't that good in Cleveland, and we won that game.
    Correction: The SECONDARY wasn't that good in Cleveland and we already knew that going in.

Cribbs scored 7 of their points too. Not the Defense's fault.

Remember, the defense shut the Browns down in the second half, punctuated by a Terrell Suggs Pick 6 to seal the deal.

I think cats are just getting all emotional after a loss to the defending Super Bowl Champions where THE ENTIRE DEFENSE play sub-par with a couple of exceptions, and are attempting to use it to further their anti-Suggs agenda, but I ain't buying it...

11. Re: Suggs

I don't know, I agree more with the original poster's opinion here. To me, it seems like Suggs only shows up against the 2nd tier teams. Even going back a few years, it really only seems like he gets most of his stats (sacks, fumbles, etc.) late in the games that we're winning. However, in the close games and games against better teams, when we need a big play, he rarely shows up. How many times against Pitt or Indy was a about a second late on getting the sack? Not just this year, but in previous years. For the guy to do all the talking he does and say he expects "Dwight Freeney Money" he needs to show me some "Dwight Freeney Talent." He needs to be able to dominate a game from start to finish against a quality opponenet, something I can't say I've ever seen the guy do. Just my 2 cents.

I think it is a team mentality. When one sucks it, they all suck it. Suggs is a great player and will continue to improve. Is he worth throwing a huge chunk o' cash at? No. Wee need to hit the FA market for a deep threat first. The talent on defense already runs deep.
    I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!