Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Derrick Mason

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Derrick Mason

I love his cajones for giving it a run but the guy cost us 11 points today because he can't raise his left arm above his shoulder.

There was a TD pass perfectly thrown on the goal line that Mason only got his right hand up for because he couldn't raise his left. It was an easy TD. Instead we settle for a FG, -4 points.

Then of course the one that bounced off his helmet that was picked for a TD. If he has a working left arm he catches that ball out in front of his face instead of having it bang off his helmet. Another -7 points, total of -11.

The guy can only catch balls thrown into his gut and was a liability out there today on those two occasions. If he is going to play we shouldn't call any routes except curls and outs that he can catch with his body.

2. Re: Derrick Mason

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I love his cajones for giving it a run but the guy cost us 11 points today because he can't raise his left arm above his shoulder.

There was a TD pass perfectly thrown on the goal line that Mason only got his right hand up for because he couldn't raise his left. It was an easy TD. Instead we settle for a FG, -4 points.

Then of course the one that bounced off his helmet that was picked for a TD. If he has a working left arm he catches that ball out in front of his face instead of having it bang off his helmet. Another -7 points, total of -11.

The guy can only catch balls thrown into his gut and was a liability out there today on those two occasions. If he is going to play we shouldn't call any routes except curls and outs that he can catch with his body.
    And without him we lose 30-3. He's the only WR we have that can consistently get open. Did you see Mark Clayton today? He regularly got no separation. Who else? Yamon Figurs and Marcus Smith?

Re: Derrick Mason

Quote Originally Posted by math_geek View Post
    And without him we lose 30-3. He's the only WR we have that can consistently get open. Did you see Mark Clayton today? He regularly got no separation. Who else? Yamon Figurs and Marcus Smith?
    Yes I did see Yamon Figurs open at the 2 for a sure TD once! Mark Clayton was also open a couple times. The problem is that it is not easy for a QB to go to 6 options when he has little time.

I do not see Mason as the reason the game was lost. I would agree that the football off his helmet was a major problem and he needed to catch that ball, however Mason was not the reason we lost.

We lost due to the fact that our D was unable to stop the run and get us the ball back. I look forward to the HOME games now!

Lets Go RAVENS!!!

"It is not how you play the game that matters... It is Winning The Super Bowl that counts"... Rumor Ray

Baltimore Has 10 Pro Football Championships!
    Baltimore Colts [NFL] in 1958, 1959, 1968, and 1970
    Baltimore Stars [USFL] in 1985
    Baltimore Stallions [CFL] in 1995
    Baltimore Ravens [NFL] in 2000 and 2012
    Baltimore Mariners [AIFA] in 2010
    Baltimore Mariners [AIF] in 2014

Mason is the only receiver who can get open, and catch the ball in a crowd! I'd rather have a one-armed Mason out there, then any of our other so-called receivers!
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Mason is fine!How long has he been the sure handed receiver we needed?The man made no excuses and kudos to him for going out there with a fucked up shoulder and having some kind of stomach illness Saturday night.I'm just glad this happened on a day where everything seemed to be going wrong.i mean am i going to read a thread about how our linebackers suck because they could'nt tackle a dummy yesterday?

Look mason will make that catch 9 out of 10 times.On that pass he got both hands up and just whiffed.There is no need to question him or that shoulder.The catch in the endzone was tough.yea,i wanted a catch out of him there too.The thing is after taking the hit he did last week i think it was in the back of his mind.He will shake it off and come back strong.

We got beat by the better team. No question about that. I didnt truly expect a win but it still hurts to lose.

We were in the game in the 3rd down 20-10, driving the ball down field. That INT for 6 off of Mason iced it, but we lost the game in the first half. The D over pursued, and just didnt come up with the "game changing" play you need to beat an elite team in their house. Stover kicking the FG 4 feet off the ground didnt help either. Cant make mistakes like that in that type of game.

I am not blaming Mason for the loss.

Mason is fine!How long has he been the sure handed receiver we needed?
    He was not sure handed yesterday. He could not get his arm up to catch a sure, easy TD and he let a ball bounce off his helmet for a TD the other way.

If that drives ends in a score we are back in the game. If we had the other 4 points that drive might have given us the lead.

Now we couldn't stop the run and couldn't effectively run, so we lost there as well. But Mason should not have been on the field yesterday.

Look mason will make that catch 9 out of 10 times.
    Not with his bad shoulder. HE CAN NOT LIFT HIS LEFT ARM ABOVE HIS HEAD! That is why he didn't reach for the easy TD pass that went by his head at the goalline and he didn't get his hands up to catch the one off of his helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenfever_com View Post
    Yes I did see Yamon Figurs open at the 2 for a sure TD once! Mark Clayton was also open a couple times. The problem is that it is not easy for a QB to go to 6 options when he has little time.
    I agree, that was the difference in this game. It was the first game all year that our o-line really got man handled. Flacco was constantly under pressure, and kudos to the rook for making plays despite that. Most rookies would crumble like a deck of cards facing the pressure Flacco did all game.

Regarding the topic, I think this is why people make the argument for a bigger receiver. A tall receiver makes both of those catches that Mason couldn't.

A big explosive reciever is the perfect compliment to Mason, not a replacement for him.

Other then the botched pass that bounced off him for a pick 6, I dont recall a time yesterday (or the rest of the season for that matter) where Mason stands out in a bad light.

I think you're being too hard on the guy. Even the best have bad days. It was just Mason's turn yesterday at a very inopportune time.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I am not blaming Mason for the loss.

He was not sure handed yesterday. He could not get his arm up to catch a sure, easy TD and he let a ball bounce off his helmet for a TD the other way.

If that drives ends in a score we are back in the game. If we had the other 4 points that drive might have given us the lead.

Now we couldn't stop the run and couldn't effectively run, so we lost there as well. But Mason should not have been on the field yesterday.

Not with his bad shoulder. HE CAN NOT LIFT HIS LEFT ARM ABOVE HIS HEAD! That is why he didn't reach for the easy TD pass that went by his head at the goalline and he didn't get his hands up to catch the one off of his helmet.
    I agree with you in principle, Gerg...But I think Flacco needs to understand also that Mason was playing impaired and thus his workload could have been managed better. I understand that Mason is the kid's security blanket, but it was plain to see that dude couldn't lift his left arm, so throwing the ball even a little high to him would be disastrous (pick 6).

Other then the botched pass that bounced off him for a pick 6, I dont recall a time yesterday (or the rest of the season for that matter) where Mason stands out in a bad light.
    When we settled for that first FG Flacco threw a pass that went right by Mason's head, he lifted his right arm but did not his left. If he could have lifted his left hand up to level with the top of his head we have a TD. It was a perfectly thrown ball.

I agree with you in principle, Gerg...But I think Flacco needs to understand also that Mason was playing impaired and thus his workload could have been managed better.
    And he did, but on this play Mason was running away from him, not across the field and there was underneath coverage. Both of these prohibited a throw into Mason's numbers so he could catch it against his body.

I am sorry I didn't save the play on my DVR, I rewound it several times to affirm what I thought I saw. I watched Mason the rest of the game and he never once lifted his left arm and if you notice continually avoided hits. The guy has balls, I am sure he was and is still hurting big time, but if he can't make a catch on a ball thrown eye-level he shouldn't be on the field.