Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Derrick Mason

Re: Derrick Mason

Quote Originally Posted by Greg
    The guy has balls, I am sure he was and is still hurting big time, but if he can't make a catch on a ball thrown eye-level he shouldn't be on the field.

He's not the reason we lost the game of course, but if he isn't healthy enough to be effective, he shouldn't be out there.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenjoe View Post
    Mason is the only receiver who can get open, and catch the ball in a crowd! I'd rather have a one-armed Mason out there, then any of our other so-called receivers!
    Not to ignore the other talented WRs on the team but look at the determination and guts it takes to play as Mason does these days. I'm proud of him. More challenges to come: Go Ravens! :happyanim

We needed Mason in there yesterday. He served well. Botched reception for a pick? agree with that. The pass into the end zone was not going to be caught even if he was not injured. It was just n a tough place to catch.
    I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!

Quote Originally Posted by xmradiodave View Post
    We needed Mason in there yesterday. He served well. Botched reception for a pick? agree with that. The pass into the end zone was not going to be caught even if he was not injured. It was just n a tough place to catch.
    Yeah, I felt Flack put a little too much on that pass...That would've been a real game-changer...:o

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    That is why he didn't reach for the easy TD pass that went by his head at the goalline and he didn't get his hands up to catch the one off of his helmet.
    Greg, I completely agree with your overall point here.

However, I don't agree at all that the TD pass was an easy pass to catch for a 100% healthy receiver. That pass was over his head while he was streaking across the end zone. It was, in fact, a tad bit behind him. I looked at it several times on TiVo, because when I first saw it I was trying to figure out how he missed it. After rewatching it, I realized it would have been an amazing catch for anyone...he'd have basically been bending backwards to get it. Possible, but in no way easy.

Flacco puts that ball about a foot over and a foot down, and it's an easy catch.

- C -

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    It was, in fact, a tad bit behind him. I looked at it several times on TiVo, because when I first saw it I was trying to figure out how he missed it. After rewatching it, I realized it would have been an amazing catch for anyone...he'd have basically been bending backwards to get it. Possible, but in no way easy.

Flacco puts that ball about a foot over and a foot down, and it's an easy catch.

- C -
    EDIT: Talking about the intercepted pass here:

That pass was definitely behind him. Certainly, Mason has made tougher catches than that, and a healthy Mason might have caught that one. But it still would've been a tough catch, as it was high, hard, and behind him.

But that play certainly changed the momentum of the game. It looked like we were heading back into the game, then bam, down by 17 again. Game over, basically.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

The pass I am recalling went in front of him and he was not streaking across the back of the endzone. He was running into the endzone and was about on the goal line.

In any case, he never reaches his left hand above his shoulder. After this particular pass I watched him over and over. He can't lift his left hand above his shoulder. He shouldn't be playing if he can't lift his hand up to catch balls above his shoulders.