Denial - not just a river

A couple of interesting blurbs from the official sites' "ask a coach" segment...

Adam G., Forest Hill, Md.: "In the interest of adding a new wrinkle to the offensive playbook for the playoffs, I was wondering if anyone has even considered utilizing Haloti Ngata in the running back position for short yardage or goal line situations - a la the Fridge with the 1985 Bears? I understand Haloti's got some experience carrying the football from his rugby background."

Running backs coach Tony Nathan: "Ha ha. Interesting question. You know what? That might not be a bad thing to do. We all know he's got pretty good hands and can run because of that interception return in Tampa. But, we need him on the defensive line, and he's definitely getting the job done there."

Ron M.: "Although the Ravens seem to be on par with their Super Bowl championship team, a noticeable difference is in their lack of a punt return capability. Is there any plan to bring in a playoff-caliber punt returner or to consider letting a wide receiver or defensive back return punts?"

Assistant special teams coach John Fassel: "Thanks for the question. Right now, there really aren't any plans to necessarily replace Cory Ross. What people don't see the blocking aspect of it. We haven't been as good as we'd like to be with our inside and outside guys. We're going to emphasize that this week, because there are 10 other guys out there that have to make plays, not just Cory."

Dan H., Belcamp, Md.: "Why does Sam Koch perform kickoffs instead of Matt Stover? I figured Koch would have a younger and livelier leg, especially when accuracy is not a significant factor.

Fassel: "Matt's been doing a great job for us. Sam practices kickoffs and could go if we needed him to, so both guys could do it. We like where Matt's getting the ball for us, and he's been doing it all season."

Huh? They are happy with kickckoffs to the 15 yard line? I seriously doubt it.
    ENFORCE THE 1ST AMENDMENT WITH THE SECOND, NEVER DISARM

Re: Denial - not just a river

The Cory Ross decision is irritating.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

They are going with the punt returner who is most steady in protecting the ball. I know, Ross has issues but we don't see what is going on in practice.

As for Stover, not all of his kicks have been to the 15. He was steady for a while inside the 5.

The stats on kickoffs and return show we aren't great but aren't terrible.
    http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NF...1=3&_1:col_1=4

Ross is only average on KO returns. No real chance to break one.

However, he is TERRIBLE on punts. He gets nothing, and last week he even fumbled one. I'd prefer Clayton.