Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Eli and the Ravens D

If we don't pressure Manning, he will have a field day on us. Also, this will be a great test for Joe Flacco. He will have seen one of the finest defenses in the NFL and it will be interesting how he handles the different reads. We really need the offense to step up and keep NY off the field. Just your normal Sunday in the NFL (ha, ha)!

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I would have agreed with you two weeks ago when Heap and Clayton were AWOL.

Although I would much rather see Mason in the game, the new threat of Clayton and Heap (and throw Figurs into that equation) the loss of Mason seems to not hurt as much.
    I agree with you to a degree, but Figures is still not proven. Clayton has not proved he can be the go to guy for a whole game, and I need to see Heap this again to be sold on him being back to form. IMO no Mason is huge as he is Flacco's security blanket right now.
    Hating Steeler Fans Since Birth

Section 126, Row 33

Lets Go Flacco :happyanim

Quote Originally Posted by Rayvens52 View Post
    I agree with you to a degree, but Figures is still not proven. Clayton has not proved he can be the go to guy for a whole game, and I need to see Heap this again to be sold on him being back to form. IMO no Mason is huge as he is Flacco's security blanket right now.
    HIs real security blanket has been the pass protection and running game. Mason being his #1 read all the time was not a good thing after a while.

Look at what happened for Eli when Shockey went out. He was the #1 read, and unlike Mason actually drew double coverge most of the time, but focusing in on him tipped off the D and they made a lot of coverage traps anticipaing his progression.
    Mason is a great WR, but he is not really a #1 who draws double teams and run all the routes. Taking him away for a game or two could be good for Joe developing some timing with the other guys who can stretch the feild and go over the middle and take a big hit.

Agree with all the posters who say the pass rush we mount (or don't) will be the key.

The problem in the past is that we haven't always been able to get pressure with just our front four-Ngata, Price, Bannan, and Suggs. When we blitz a lb or safety we are about 50/50 successful (my gut) in getting a QB hurry. Often, when our blitzes get picked up successfully, we get beaten for big plays.

Haloti Ngata has been working hard to improve his pass rush skills and it showed last week. He could be the key. If he can have success in collapsing the pocket up the middle it will force manning to roll out and throw without getting set properly. If we can get pressure without blitzing it will make a big difference.

Ravens are 3-0 against the Giants in the games that count (non preseason)
    Interesting stat

The team that runs the ball better on Sunday wins. The passing game will be employed by the loser.

:2c:
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Blog Entries

I think we will need to use the pass still against the #4 rush defense in the NFL...but without Mason, I think we'll be focusing on our TEs, FBs, and HBs as our targets. We'll continue to try to go for those quick pass, high probability of success plays. That will help counter the Giants pass rush.

The guys ESPN's NFL Countdown did not give us one but of respect just now.

They did a good 10 minutes on the game and it was ALL Eli and them fawning over what a great team they are.

Made me want to puke.