Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bills D, False 'Hut'?

From the Sun, bottom of the Pittman article.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/f...ports-football

False 'hut'
    "Coach Brian Billick accused a Buffalo Bills defensive player of barking out the snap count and causing the Ravens to false start on three occasions in the team's 19-7 victory Sunday.

After quarterback Steve McNair called his first "hut" at the line of scrimmage, it is believed that Buffalo defensive tackle Larry Tripplett followed with a "hut" of his own and led the Ravens to shift before the ball was snapped, resulting in the false start penalties.

"You can't have a defensive lineman call out a snap count. That's illegal, and that's what they were doing. They did it three times," Billick said. "We will bring it to the officials' attention, but there's nothing you can do about it if they're not going to hear it." "

WTF, I have never even heard of any Defense doing this kind of crap. If it's true, Larry Tripplett should be fined, and so should the Bills organization.
    "Well, I'd rather live with the hound dogs, for the rest of my natural-born life." Swamp Music by Lynyrd Skynyrd

Re: Bills D, False 'Hut'?

I heard Billick mentioning that during his Tuesday show on WBAL. He was not happy about it at all. The reason it came up was somebody asked him if he was worried about the several false starts that occured during the Bills game. He said no because the Bills were illegally calling out the snap causing the players to jump.

It is something that should be penalised and for the refs to miss it three times (if it happened) then they're either deaf or I should imagine it's pretty tough to separate a hut from Larry Tripplett from a hut from Steve McNair beneath the din being belted out by 70,000 Raven maniacs at the purple palace.

Also this isn't that uncommon, this sort of chatter does happen at the LOS from time to time, I've heard The Goose mention that in many games he used to call 'hot' to mimic the QB's 'hut' and try and draw offsides at times, fining isn't necessary but it does need the officiating crew to pick it up.

they're either deaf or I should imagine it's pretty tough to separate a hut from Larry Tripplett from a hut from Steve McNair beneath the din being belted out by 70,000 Raven maniacs at the purple palace.
    Well, the fans are supposed to be quiet while we have the ball, and though I wasn't there this week, I know in general this year the fans have been pretty good about that.
    I just can't really see a DT getting away with that enough to cause 3 false starts. Maybe the refs are 1/2 deaf -- how would I know?

I've heard The Goose mention that in many games he used to call 'hot' to mimic the QB's 'hut' and try and draw offsides at times
    That's interesting, never heard that before. Knowing Goose's personality, it doesn't really surprise me though. Thanks UKRS.

Regardless of the reason, I sure as hell don't want to see near that many procedure penalties in the playoffs. Those drive-killers make us all crazy!
    "Well, I'd rather live with the hound dogs, for the rest of my natural-born life." Swamp Music by Lynyrd Skynyrd

I heard Billick say this at his PC yesterday & his show last night. Yes, the stadium was quiet when we had the ball, & I was shocked at the # of false starts we had at home. Billick should address with the league. This still doesn't excuse our WR's who were called for these penalties, all they're supposed to do is watch the ball.

I have never heard Goose say that before, but knowing him, I believe it.

My youngest son Kyle w/ Michael Phelps after the Browms game 12/24/11

Season Ticket Holder Since 96,
    Loud, Proud & Purple in Section 504. GO RAVENS, all the way to Indy for the Lombardi!!!

I definitely remember the interview with Goose - saying how he calls a shift called 'hot' and 'hot hot' - said it was worth a try a couple of times a game.

Maybe it was for UK television and not shown in the US?

Quote Originally Posted by UKRaven View Post
    I definitely remember the interview with Goose - saying how he calls a shift called 'hot' and 'hot hot' - said it was worth a try a couple of times a game.

Maybe it was for UK television and not shown in the US?
    It was definitely said here, if not in an interview, an article or a book or somewhere. I've seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcorvus View Post
    Well, the fans are supposed to be quiet while we have the ball, and though I wasn't there this week, I know in general this year the fans have been pretty good about that.
    I just can't really see a DT getting away with that enough to cause 3 false starts. Maybe the refs are 1/2 deaf -- how would I know?
    This is entirely true, the fans are supposed to be quiet when we have the ball, didn't think of that lol, I know we're not perfect but compared to what I heard on tv last year to what I experienced this year at the game against Oakland the fans as a whole have got a lot better at keeping quiet when we've got the ball.

Bruce Laird said a last night's radio show that this kind of thing happens all of the time; he's employed it himself when at the end of his career he was playing for George Allen. John Gerhig agreed and said that it's just part of football and the offense needs to deal with it.

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely inexplicable…

There is another theory which states that this - has - already - happened…

"We don't have a town drunk...we all take turns..."

that does make a lot of sense now that I think about it, I remember a play where Heap got called for a false start but about 4-5 guys jumped, I thought maybe the center messed up the snapcount b?c it seemed like he was the only one that didn't move

Well, it's the "low road", to be sure. But I don't doubt it happens throughout the league. I can't say for sure, but I'd imagine it'd be exactly the kind of thing that Bellicheck might employ, because he's one crafty coach who's always looking for some kind of advantage. Hopefully, Billick will learn from this and figure out a way to keep our guys from getting sucked into the same trap again.

GO RAVENS!!! (41-0 when +2 in turnovers)

It seems to me that this would be an easy problem to adjust around. If the opponent is mimicking the snap count, just switch up the words. Announce in the huddle that you're going on "snap" instead of "hut". You can still make it the second or third word called. You can just have a list of distinctive sounds that would serve as triggers for the snap. Obviously you wouldn't want to have to use this all the time, because it breaks the rhythm of the team going on a familiar word, and forces everyone to concentrate on one more thing before the snap, rather than their assignment or reading the defense. But if the defensive line is disrupting you illegally, you should at least have a plan; it's better than getting false starts and waiting for the refs to do something about it.