Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Bills D, False 'Hut'?

A further thought: as frustrating as this must have been for Billick and the Ravens, there's no way they should have brought it up in a press conference before their season is over. Any playoff team who sees that we're susceptible to this is likely to have someone willing to try it. Don't expose a weakness to the media, coach!

If you were at the game on Sunday you heard Heap say "are you kidding me?" over the Ref's mic when they called him for offsides. I don't understand how everyone but the Refs could hear this happening from the Bills.
    Pffffff! I trust wikipedia more than the NFL. If anyone would know football, it is clearly wikipedia.
    -xmradiodave 9/13/08

A further thought: as frustrating as this must have been for Billick and the Ravens, there's no way they should have brought it up in a press conference before their season is over. Any playoff team who sees that we're susceptible to this is likely to have someone willing to try it. Don't expose a weakness to the media, coach!
    If you get caught I think it's a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty, and with it out in the open they might be looking specifically for it

I think Billick was sending a message to the refs and the league, which offsets any negative impact it might have by exposing a "weakness" to opposing teams, IMO.

GO RAVENS!!! (41-0 when +2 in turnovers)

This is all well & good, but what about the problem of WR's jumping. All they have to do is watch the ball. There is no excuse for a WR being called for false start.

My youngest son Kyle w/ Michael Phelps after the Browms game 12/24/11

Season Ticket Holder Since 96,
    Loud, Proud & Purple in Section 504. GO RAVENS, all the way to Indy for the Lombardi!!!

I think a player who is caught doing this should be ejected from the game. ITS JUST PLAIN CHEATING!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens0587 View Post
    If you get caught I think it's a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty, and with it out in the open they might be looking specifically for it
    It IS an unsportsmanlike call, and I have seen it called 2 times this season. The Ref explained it :thusly: False start caused by illegal vocalizing by the defense. 15 yrd penalty!!!!:hammer:

It happens, it gets called every now and then, and now that Billick has called attention to it, opposing defensive linemen are probably less likely to try it.

The offense needs to deal with it for the same reason that the defense needs to deal with OL holding. Yes, it's against the rules, but it happens. Hope for a flag and be ready next time.

edited to add:
    > there's no way they should have brought it up in a press conference
    > before their season is over.
    On the contrary, as Ravens0587 was implying, the whole *reason* to bring it up is to force officials and opposing teams to be prepared to see yellow laundry if it happens against us again. Old school Billick, in my humble opinion, another reason to tip my hat to the coach.
    Last edited by festivus; 01-04-2007 at 12:42 PM.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

ha, I bet anything that Billick gets fined for these comments.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensNTerps View Post
    ha, I bet anything that Billick gets fined for these comments.
    I bet if he does, he could care less.

GO RAVENS!!! (41-0 when +2 in turnovers)

"You can't have a defensive lineman call out a snap count. That's illegal, and that's what they were doing. They did it three times," Billick said. "We will bring it to the officials' attention, but there's nothing you can do about it if they're not going to hear it." "
    If this is what Billick said he will not be fined for it. He is pointing out that something illegal occured and he will contact the officials. He did not criticize the officials. The fines come when a coach or player cliams a ref made a bad call. Not by pointing out that a call was not made. If the ref doesn't see or hear the foul they cannot call the foul. If you let them know to look out for it they usually will.
    Section 106 from start to finish!

As a point of concern for the Ravens, yes, Billick should bring it to the attention of the officials. He should speak to the head official and possibly the whole crew before the next game and ask them to stay alert for it. That's about the extent of what he can do. Bringing it out in front of the media doesn't gain anything extra for the Ravens. If anything, officials don't want to hear other people tell them how to do their jobs. A private word here would have gone a lot further than a public admonishment.