Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Were the reins on the offense vs the Bills?

The play calling vs Buffalo seemed extra, extra vanilla to me...even for us. Does anyone think Billick kept the lid on so as to not give upcoming playoff opponents game footage to study?

FM

2. Re: Were the reins on the offense vs the Bills?

I'd think yes, but the ravens really wanted the bye, so you wouldnt want to throw it all of the window just for a slight advantage and then have to play an extra game.
    Season ticket holder since 1996 Section 148 Tailgate Lot H
    See my photos and video at www.bmoreravens.com

Re: Were the reins on the offense vs the Bills?

They would never admit it if the answer was yes, but I think, yes. Straight ball control for all 60 minutes. Rest everyone reasonably possible and save the unused wrinkles and surprises for the playoffs.

At least, I *hope* that's what they were doing. . .
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

I may be wrong but, it seems pretty pretty clear to me that they didn't want to show too much. I don't expect to see Derrick Williams as my only wide out with two tight ends most of the second half in the playoffs. On the other hand I don expect to see the end around or Clayton throwing a pass in the playoffs. But maybe they wanted someone to think about it anyway.

I think this is a nice way of rationalizing a poor poor performance...I suppose Mason dropped that pass because he did not want to tip off INDY, right?
    Come on, we were flat from the first whistle because we knew we would end up winning the game in a probablity. Jamal has been horrible all season and continued to play to form...Or wait, Jamal has been playing this way all season because he is going to now surprise everyone in the playoffs, great!

Honestly, I believe they were. They were working out of a standard I-formation or shotgun for 97% of the game, not even mixing in offset I formations like they have in almost every week prior. Only 3-4 singleback formations the entire game. No deep shots.

Looked pretty friggin vanilla to me. The only thing they pulled out was that Clayton pass.

I don't think so. Everybody in the NFL has enough tape on us to know what we're going to do. If they don't, I have every game on tape and I'll sell those to 'em for a tidy profit.

I believe we went in with the game plan that we didn't have to do anything really special on offense because the defense was going to win it for us. Control the clock and watch the number 1 defense in the NFL do what it does best.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

i have to agree with darb72, and thats what they did

9. Re: Were the reins on the offense vs the Bills?

Quote Originally Posted by jbecks307 View Post
    Jamal has been horrible all season and continued to play to form...Or wait, Jamal has been playing this way all season because he is going to now surprise everyone in the playoffs, great!
    HELLO.....Jamal had over 1,100 yards this year...That's not terrible:insane:... Not his best year, but by no means was he terrible....Please think before you post We have become more of a passing team with Steve McNair at the helm:grbac: ......

Actually Jamal has been below average all year.

Out of the top 30 rushers, only 7 have averaged less than 4 yards per carry. Jamal averages 3.6 and that is not the YPC of a feature back.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    I don't think so. Everybody in the NFL has enough tape on us to know what we're going to do. If they don't, I have every game on tape and I'll sell those to 'em for a tidy profit.

I believe we went in with the game plan that we didn't have to do anything really special on offense because the defense was going to win it for us. Control the clock and watch the number 1 defense in the NFL do what it does best.
    Darb, I'm pretty sure you just typed out the textbook definition for a reined in offense. Regardless of the reason, an offense that vanilla IS holding its cards.

I have to believe they did play it extra close to the vest on purpose. And let's not ever try a trick play again w/ Clayton...it loses yards every single time. Not a single deep pass the whole game either....that had to be by design.

I hope to not see that game plan again in the playoffs. This team should go for the jugular from the opening kickoff.

FM