Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hey, TL.....

Re: Hey, TL.....

Got anything to backup this ridiculous statement?
    Sorry, perhaps I used the wrong word (boring) to express myself.

What I meant to say was that coaches who are consistent and relatively even keeled and unemotional with the press, and don't give Denny Green press conferences tend to be better fits for coaching.

Such as:

Jeff Fisher
    Brian Billick
    Mike Shanaham
    Tony Dungy
    Bill Belichek
    Tom Landry
    Bill Walsh
    Chuck Noll

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard
    What I meant to say was that coaches who are consistent and relatively even keeled and unemotional with the press, and don't give Denny Green press conferences tend to be better fits for coaching.

Such as:

Jeff Fisher
    Brian Billick
    Mike Shanaham
    Tony Dungy
    Bill Belichek
    Tom Landry
    Bill Walsh
    Chuck Noll
    Did you put Billick on that list as a joke? When it comes to being "even keeled and unemotional with the press," he wasn't exactly Chuck Knoll.

I see your overall point, but I could argue that more colorful coaches, like Billick and Ditka to name two off the top of my head, have won Super Bowls (which Fisher, the first name on your list, hasn't yet).

No joke. How often did Billick go nuclear during a press conference?

Sure, some coaches like Parcells and Ditka succeeded with the fire and brimstone approach, but there are more guys like Holmgren and Don Shula and Landry and Belichek that have been winners.

Singletary will never make it doing what he did last week.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

No joke. How often did Billick go nuclear during a press conference?
    I can certainly think of a few occasions -- when he dropped an f-bomb when asked about the instant replay system after Heap got robbed twice in a game against Denver, the infamous Super Bowl rant about how the press isn't qualified to judge Ray Lewis, the shouting match he had with Sage Steel a couple of years ago -- you would not see the other guys on your list doing any of that in front of the cameras. (Not that I minded any of this, because it was pretty entertaining, with the possible exception of the Super Bowl lecture, where he went a little overboard).

Singletary will never make it doing what he did last week.
    I agree with you here -- I heard this morning that he had a very strange halftime rant that included dropping his pants and mooning his team in the locker room.

Jimmy Johnson
    Jon Gruden
    Barry Switzer
    Bill Cowher
    Dick Vermeil
    Hank Stram....

There are just as many successful coaches who are more animated and less reserved who win, as there are even-keeled and unemotional coaches who win.

It's not the demeanor of the coach that creates champions, it's the talent and their ability to execute the gameplan. Just ask Marv Levy.

Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post
    the infamous Super Bowl rant about how the press isn't qualified to judge Ray Lewis, .

Billick was very press savvy and I think the intent of this "rant" (I wouldn't call it that) was a smart, premeditated way to take the heat off of his Ray lewis, his star player, by making the press focus on himself. I really think Billick took a bullet for Ray in this situation. If so, a very cool idea and gesture on BB's part.

I liked them... frequently led friends to them and copied them to spread in emails...

but looks like that is just little ole me I guess...
    Keeping the purple flowing way out on the West Coast!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lap
    Billick was very press savvy and I think the intent of this "rant" (I wouldn't call it that) was a smart, premeditated way to take the heat off of his Ray lewis, his star player, by making the press focus on himself.
    You are correct, but as John Feinstein wrote in "Next Man Up," Billick himself admitted that he got carried away and took the strategy too far. But it did work, as far as taking a lot of the heat off Ray. But he got on a roll and took it to a level that was more extreme than they had intended.

But hey, it still worked.

the shouting match he had with Sage Steel a couple of years ago --
    I never saw that...is there a clip??
    "Unitas was so outraged that he cut all ties to the relocated team. Other prominent old-time Colts followed his lead. After the NFL returned to Baltimore as the Ravens for the 1996 season, Unitas and most of the other old-time Colts regarded THE RAVENS as the TRUE SUCCESSORS of the Baltimore Colts!"

"I'll show you how to field a respected, competetive baseball team
    if you show me how to be a more effective dictator!
    "--Fidel Castro to Peter Angelos

I can certainly think of a few occasions -- when he dropped an f-bomb when asked about the instant replay system after Heap got robbed twice in a game against Denver, the infamous Super Bowl rant about how the press isn't qualified to judge Ray Lewis, the shouting match he had with Sage Steel a couple of years ago -- you would not see the other guys on your list doing any of that in front of the cameras. (Not that I minded any of this, because it was pretty entertaining, with the possible exception of the Super Bowl lecture, where he went a little overboard).
    Ah yes, when he said that replay didn't work, 'throw out the whole fucking thing', or something to that effect. The Super Bowl press conference may have been the most astute and ballsy move for handling the media of all time, even if it did piss a lot of people (Pastabelly) off for infinity.

Sometimes I really miss Brian.

Although Harbaugh can dress up like a woman and sing folk songs during the press conferences for all I care, as long as we win baby.