Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Guy I wouldn't mind us drafting...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player...layerId=152310

This guy's gonna be a stud in the NFL. Mark my words, he's the next Jamal with the way he pounds opposing defenses, pass blocks, and he can catch it well out of the backfield.

I wouldn't mind it at all if he's our first round pick.

- C -

Re: Guy I wouldn't mind us drafting...

What a shock. You picked someone from Penn State. ;)

Of course! But seriously, this guy's gonna be a road-grader. Only problem is it goes way against our needs with Anderson, Musa, and maybe another year with Jamal. But bottom of the first round, I think he's got a lot of value and will be an exceptionally good back with someone. Why not us?

- C -

As much as I loved Jamal, I don't want ANOTHER Jamal. Poor pass-catcher and only 3 good years of productivity. No thanks. Big bruisers typically don't last long enough for my liking.

I'd take a look at Lynch, Bush (a different mold than Jamal), Peterson, and maybe Irons. Hunt looks to be OK, but I'm not that interested.

More importantly, I wouldn't mind seeing us wait another year to pick a RB high, because 2008's draft looks RIDICULOUS.

Given the emphasis that PSU puts on running the ball it is easy to think that Hunt will be good at the next level, I don't thhnk he will be good enough to be a feature back....he's already taken a fairly good pounding in 3 years...Also, don't forget that the history of PSU running backs (outside of Larry Johnson..who only started for 1 year) in the NFL isn't good....

Pounding over three years? He hadn't had more than 175 carries till this season...that's half an NFL season.

I also think school's histories is garbage to look at, especially when there's a glaring counterexample that's most recent out of the school. You evaluate players based on their abilities, not what school they come out of. And it's most irrelevant when you've got a guy like Larry Johnson out of PSU, who's cutting the NFL in half.

He's gonna be a great back somewhere, and if Jamal isn't back next year, we could use one cause Musa's hurt again and Anderson shouldn't be carrying the full load...

- C -

I also think school's histories is garbage to look at, especially when there's a glaring counterexample that's most recent out of the school.
    Ok, want to draft a QB or receiver out of Florida? How about any defensive player out of Penn State?

For some reason certain posistions from certain schools just don't do well in the Pros.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Lenny Moore
    Franco Harris
    Curt Warner
    Larry Johson

all success PSU RB's in the NFL

DJ Dozier
    Blair Thomas
    Curtis Enos
    Ki-Jana Carter
    Kenny Watson

all not successful RB's in the NFL

personally I think Hunt falls into the NOT group of guy's, not a 1st round pick at all imho
    "Is it me or does Billick seem a bit in his Post game Interviews? or is it he's just :insane: and doesn't know what to do?"

Quote Originally Posted by AA-Raven View Post
    Lenny Moore
    Franco Harris
    Curt Warner
    Larry Johson

all success PSU RB's in the NFL

DJ Dozier
    Blair Thomas
    Curtis Enos
    Ki-Jana Carter
    Kenny Watson

all not successful RB's in the NFL

personally I think Hunt falls into the NOT group of guy's, not a 1st round pick at all imho
    And outside of Larry Johnson, when did those other great RBs from PSU play? Now compare how recent the bust were.

Chris Colinsworth played receiver at Florida and he was a pretty good NFL WR. It's just that he hasn't played in 20 years so it really isn't a good comparison for this generation of players.

I will admit that it's possible that Johnsons emergence means the "curse" is lifted, but I still wouldn't be willing to take a PSU RB in the first round.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

What is his 40 speed? My thing with Jamal was once past the second level he wasn't caught from behind. That is until this season. I want a back who can snap off a 60 yard run. Maybe he is angled out of bounds by the safety. Maybe he has the speed to run by the safety and no one can catch him. Although the oline isn't that great (except JO) I recall at least once if not more, each game this season where Jamal had the crease to snap off a 60 yard run. But he couldn't change gears and get outside or past the second level to gain the yards that were there.

I think many times BB said as much when he said Jamal left yards on the field. I think the Ravens should definately draft a feature back. The problem as I see it is where in the draft do you take the selection?

Its a philosophical issue for the Ravens. Ozzie knows you win championships with solid defense. If we let AD walk, that will be a major blow to the defense. I like Bart Scott where he is WLB. I would even let Scott play at Ray's spot long term when Ray calls it a day.

But the strong side requires someone with AD's size and speed. That is hard to come by. We may have to settle with an LB with one or the other. Gary Stills has the speed to handle the coverage in space, but not the size or strength to hold the LOS on a stretch play. Ideally you want a LB who can do both because any NFL offense isn't going to run what you think they should and base your defense on that.

So now we have to make a decision on whether we think we can make up with offense and a brand new 1st round pick as a feature back or try to replace AD as much as possible with a player like Rufus Alexander (I am going to pimp him since I watched him closely in the bowl game).

Alexander in my mind, fits the bill nicely if AD walks. He has the size, speed and intensity to play the SAM. He is also from a School that Ozzie is comfortable drafting high picks from. I also see him taking Auburn's Irons in the first round. But I really think we will stick with defense and try to take a feature back in the 2nd round.

BTW: There is something to GM's drafting from certain schools and not drafting from others. Come to think of it, we may not draft a guy from Auburn since taht school is in the same conference as Alabama, Ozzie's ala mater. Take it for what its worth.

We could resign jamal as a FA and worry about a feature back high in the draft for 2008 class since from what I heard, that will be a strong class for RB's.

And outside of Larry Johnson, when did those other great RBs from PSU play? Now compare how recent the bust were.
    That's ridiculous...
    Kenny Watson - 1978
    DJ Dozier - 1987
    Blair Thomas - 1990
    Ki-Jana Carter - 1995
    Curtis Enis - 1998
    Larry Johson - 2003

Now, you've got the successes which clearly of course are farther in the past on average than those that haven't been successful. But it's not like there's been a whole bunch of high round PSU RB busts in the last couple years. And Ki-Jana's tough to call a bust being that he blew his knee out pretty badly before his first season and was never the same. And all of it's counter-acted by the fact that the most recent PSU RB off the list is one of the best RBs in the NFL.

Would I draft a QB/WR from Florida? That would depend on how they look on film and in workouts. You telling me you wouldn't have drafted Larry Fitzgerald if he went to Florida instead of Pitt?

- C -

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    That's ridiculous...
    Kenny Watson - 1978
    DJ Dozier - 1987
    Blair Thomas - 1990
    Ki-Jana Carter - 1995
    Curtis Enis - 1998
    Larry Johson - 2003

Now, you've got the successes which clearly of course are farther in the past on average than those that haven't been successful. But it's not like there's been a whole bunch of high round PSU RB busts in the last couple years. And Ki-Jana's tough to call a bust being that he blew his knee out pretty badly before his first season and was never the same. And all of it's counter-acted by the fact that the most recent PSU RB off the list is one of the best RBs in the NFL.

Would I draft a QB/WR from Florida? That would depend on how they look on film and in workouts. You telling me you wouldn't have drafted Larry Fitzgerald if he went to Florida instead of Pitt?

- C -
    I've said that Larry Johnson might have started a new trend since he has been such a success in the league. Or he may be the exception that proves the rule.

Asking me if I would draft Fitzgerald if he played at Florida actually kind of proves my point. He didn't play there, but Travis Taylor did. So did Reidel Anthony, Reche Caldwell , Jacquez Green and Ike Hilliard. They all posted great stats in college and I'm pretty sure they ran well in the combine since three of them were drafted in the first round (Taylor, Anthony and Hilliard) and two were drafted in the second (Caldwell and Green). One Pitt WR now has more 1,000 yard seasons than the last five Florida WRs drafted in the first or second round combined.
    ProFootballMock