Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Has Sam Koch Eased You Punter Concern?

That 61 yarder saved Koch. His prior 53 yarder only had a net of 33. Kickoffs are short, not what we need. We have to be patient with a rookie. I am willing to wait a few weeks, but at this point he is no weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdFan
    Can Koch also back up Stover for field goals, if necessary? At Matt's advanced age, a pulled hammy (or something) is always a possibility.
    I was thinking the same thing. Elling wasn't bad in Minnesota, he would fill in nicely for Stover just in case. Ask Dallas how much fun it is trying to pick up a kicker midseason...

I need to see him this week also before I decide. Punting is real important in the NFL since we have a offense who still has to prove it can get deep into the opponent's part of the field. Field position is extremely important part of the game. Anyway guess we will know soon.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenDomination
    I was thinking the same thing. Elling wasn't bad in Minnesota, he would fill in nicely for Stover just in case. Ask Dallas how much fun it is trying to pick up a kicker midseason...
    I'm guessing that they cut Elling and then, maybe, look to re-sign him after week 1 - if Koch doesn't KO very well. By doing it this way, they can accomplish 3 things:

1. Get to see Koch in real game action
    2. If Elling isn't on the roster for week 1, then his salary is not guaranteed - which means they are basically paying him weekly and if they need that roster spot at some point later in the season, then they can cut him and the rest of his salary is not owed to him, nor does not count against the cap.
    3. They can keep one more player on the roster for an extra week. By doing so, and then trying to get him onto the PS after week 1, then may have a better chance of doing so, since at that point, teams may consider their PS set for a while.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

wow...GREAT article on Koch in the Sun...

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/f...orts-headlines

He's 24 and has 3 kids and a wife! Although, Araguz has a newborn too, so BOTH these guys need this job.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

What do you guys think now? I think Koch punted well last night. He needs to work on short yardage punting but that should be something fixable. I didn't see any of his KOs. Does this make Elling history?
    M&T Bank Stadium - Section 513
    Proud Season Ticket Holder since 1998

Blog Entries

I could tell from practice before the game, Koch had this thing owned.

Punts were all great last night, and most of the kicks were deep. Had a few line drives that didn't look so good, but for the most part, I'd say he's ready to step up.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Let Koch get some more playing time and I think he will improve. He has looked fine so far but there is always room for improvement. Araguz is a journeyman who they just brought in to make sure the rook didn't think his job was being handed to him, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Bez513
    What do you guys think now? I think Koch punted well last night. He needs to work on short yardage punting but that should be something fixable. I didn't see any of his KOs. Does this make Elling history?
    I thought Kock looked good last night. His KOs were to the 5 yard line and his long range punts were booming. The thing he still needs to work on his his short range punts. Both of his short range punts went straight into the endzone. If he can corner those or drop them at the 5 or 10 yard line he will be great.
    Section 106 from start to finish!

Blog Entries

and actually, that's where Araguz did well...3 punts inside the 20!

Araguz was signed originally so that, in case we didn't have a good P fall to us in the draft, we had insurance.

The funny thing is, they both have relative newborns (Koch has a 9 month old, Araguz about two weeks old)

no.

so the guy is kicking the ball hard, he has no touch. he can not drop a ball inside the 10 yard line. he needs to get better or the opposition will start from their 20 or better the entire year and that is not good for the type of ball we play.