Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

I'm starting to lose respect for Mason

"Dmase" is starting to sound like the whiny little bitch that we avoided a few years ago.

"Anyone that's been in the league for a long time would want to be more involved in the offense, but when you're not, you've just got to keep moving on," Mason told a room of reporters Wednesday. "Hopefully, one day, you will feel appreciated, whether that's with the current team you're at or someplace else."
    This behavior is unacceptable, he is on a 12-3 team primed for a Superbowl run, he needs to STFU!!

He has lost a step with age, and seems to unable to realize it. Mark Clayton is coming into his own, breaking out and starting to become a #1 target for McNair. I'm sorry, but we don't need players like this on our team. Mason needs to take a page out of Mike Anderson's book, we haven't heard a peep out of him and his role has been nonexisistant. I used to hear how Mason was such a great team player and now he is starting to act like an ass.

As much as I hate to say it, If he doesn't start to understand his role on this team, I think he should move on after this year. I think its pretty safe to go with Clayton and DWil as our starting recievers, or maybe draft another one. Mason is starting to become what Kevin Johnson was here, I think Derrick needs to be reminded of what happened to him after he left this team.

This team has great chemistry and Mason is trying to be a distraction, this pisses me off in a big way!!!!

Re: I'm starting to lose respect for Mason

Being a team player and an individual player are two different things. A team player's responsibility is to understand their role as a team player. Whereas an individual player strives for individual achievements rather than team achievements. It pains me to say that Mason's role is hurting the team rather than helping the team. I'm pretty sure that Mason needs to look at the rear view mirror and stop complaining about individual achievements. Look at Jerry Rice, he could care less about individual achivements than SB rings. Football is a team sport.
    FOOTBALL IS BACK!! YOUR 2010 BALTIMORE RAVENS! SUPER BOWL OR BUST

I heard him on sirius radio and he was all compliments. He spoke very high of all teammates especially Clayton!!
    Living in Houston, Tx....still living, eating, breathing the Ravens

I wouldn't go comparing Mason to Owens because of this. Terrell Owens destroys entire organizations, Derrick Mason is just voicing his frustration. A very big difference from what Owens has done and is doing. It probably wasn't the best time for him to come out with this though.

I think we are blowing this out of proportion. Mason just wants the ball and wants to contribute to our success.

Let's not turn this into an unneeded distraction.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

The quote sounds out of character, or perhaps just out of context. Let's not rush to judgment, Mason's 'grading' of the offense early in the season was I thought very team-oriented.

I will hope this quote is an aberration - or a misquote, or just out of context - and won't give it more thought.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Blown out of proportion. Mason just wants to be more involved. Now that Clayton is producing so much maybe Mason wont get all of the primary coverage by DB's and be open more.

He may want to be more involved, but whining about it to the press is not the way to express it. The team is 12-3 and he's crying that he's not appreciated? Please -- totally unnecessary.

The last thing this team needs is a player being selfish. We are friggin 12-3. We are doing something right. I dont think we would be 14-1 if Mason got more catches. The guy is a great WR, but is getting older, we have some real explosive guys out there now and he needs to understand that.

Someone needs to tell him to just shut up and catch whatever balls come his way. :grbac:
    HottBirdz...

Mason has been a solid team player since he's been here. He has never before as far as I can recall complained selfishly. I respect him for being unafraid to answer questions, even tough ones, put to him by the media. In this case, I for one did *not* hear the specific question he was asked that triggered this response.

Don't throw him under the bus. He is one of the reasons we are better, and he deserves thanks and praise for his class and openness, as well as the calm presence he reportedly has off the field.

Give the guy a break. He's earned it.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

People in this town freak out at any little comment.

This shit happens to all teams during every season. Yes, even teams that are winning. And especially from WRs.

There should be no comparison to TO.

Do you know what question he was asked when commenting? He didn't just come out unsolicited. He was asked something.

People get pissed when guys lie like they did in 2004 and 05. Now they get mad when a guy is frustrated.

This will have zero effect on Mason's play as he's always giving 100% from what I see.

And I have a funny feeling he's gonna be a major factor in the playoffs.

PP

Derrick Mason is a very out front and frank individual. If you remember his comments last year and earlier in the season, he said the offense needed to get better. I think the guy is a true perfectionist, and perfection would be that every receiver gets an equal amount of catches, TD's etc.

I don't he begrudges anybody, I just think that he wants to be more involved. What player doesn't want to feel an important part of the winning?

I would cut him a super huge break and look forward to his performance in the games to come. I have a sneaky feeling he is going to be part of something really big.