Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What I don't Understand about the Indy Game

How can the Ravens OL push around the Browns, push around the Bengals, do well against two of the top defenses in the league (Steelers/Titans) and then get hopelessly outclassed on the line of scrimmage by the team with the worst record against the run in the NFL?

I also don't understand the defensive game plan against Manning. When are we going to learn that we have to play a more conservative defense against him? We should play them with the understanding that no body gets behind our defensive backs. If he wants to throw underneath, well, he'll have to beat us that way.By marching all the way down the field. When you make someone throw underneath the coverage there's always the chance for a tipped pass that get's picked off, a big hit that pops the ball up in the air, etc. By playing more conservatively and making them go the length of the field you they have to play error free for like 12 plays. At the end of the drive hope you can hold them to a field goal. Instead we gamble that our blitz will get to him in time and that our DB's can hold out long enough in a vulnerable postion to be successful. That works with many teams but it doesn't work with Petyon Manning.

Any good WR and QB can beat a defensive back one on one. We're gambling that we can get to Manning before he can connect with his receivers. Guess what? We rarely do and Peyton almost always does. How many games will it take before our coaches learn this? Am I missing something here?

Frustration......

Re: What I don't Understand about the Indy Game

In a word, scheme. They way out planned and executed us. The problem was not the talent of the guys we faced. I would take the Titans and Steeler defenses 10 times out of 10 over Indy, but we never adjusted to take what they were giving us.

Indy was in a 4-4 defense on 1st and 2nd downs even on 2nd and longs. The problem was they had too many guys to block, and as a result we were reaching more and missing more blocks as well as letting a SS or WLB come into the hole untouched.

The Ravens are going to see some form of the 4-4 or 4-6 cover 3 defense until they start beating it down the seems on a regular basis. They did some of the good things like the screens and draws, but did not even go deep over the middle one time that I remember.

Getting the 8 man fronts presnap is a good thing, but only if we are ready to attack it. There really is no excuse for the gameplan on either side of the ball against the Colts.

The defense also had the advantage of basically knowing that it would be a pass on every snap, and about where Peyton would set up, and who they were going to try to throw on most of the time. If we had played bump and run with variable interior coverage schemes and a lot less blitzing, we would have been able to get help on Wayne and Harrison and force them to run the ball into Ray and Bart instead of picking our thin coverage apart with no jams and not enough pressure on Peyton.

I love me some Rex Ryan, but he is killing me as much as Kyle did and Joe is right now. We know what Ivy can do, and I think we all know what he can not do is cover Reggie Wayne one on one in the endzone. What kind of defense calls for that to happen? And why is he up in his face if he is not going to jam him? Where is the hitting the Wrs at the line with the big physical CBs and fast rangy safties? LBs who can drop and make the hit if you slow the WR down a little and reroute them.

Here is where Harbs has to earn some of that money and early love. Make the adjustments. Coach your coaches and get Figurs and Flacco to stop making the same mistakes.

In a word, they were unmotivated and unprepared. Wait. That's two words.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    In a word, they weRE(?) unmotivated and unprepared. Wait. That's two words.
    Is that what you were trying to say? :D

Um, yep.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lap View Post
    How can the Ravens OL push around the Browns, push around the Bengals, do well against two of the top defenses in the league (Steelers/Titans) and then get hopelessly outclassed on the line of scrimmage by the team with the worst record against the run in the NFL?

I also don't understand the defensive game plan against Manning. When are we going to learn that we have to play a more conservative defense against him? We should play them with the understanding that no body gets behind our defensive backs. If he wants to throw underneath, well, he'll have to beat us that way.By marching all the way down the field. When you make someone throw underneath the coverage there's always the chance for a tipped pass that get's picked off, a big hit that pops the ball up in the air, etc. By playing more conservatively and making them go the length of the field you they have to play error free for like 12 plays. At the end of the drive hope you can hold them to a field goal. Instead we gamble that our blitz will get to him in time and that our DB's can hold out long enough in a vulnerable postion to be successful. That works with many teams but it doesn't work with Petyon Manning.

Any good WR and QB can beat a defensive back one on one. We're gambling that we can get to Manning before he can connect with his receivers. Guess what? We rarely do and Peyton almost always does. How many games will it take before our coaches learn this? Am I missing something here?

Frustration......
    I would agree with just about everything you posted. We kept them out of the endzone in the '06 playoffs by running a very basic D if I remember correctly. I don't see why they can't just say "Ok, we'll give 250-300+yds passing, but its gonna take 4 quarters, not 1"....

I don't understand also how Indy can stop the run AND the pass. When those linebackers are chomping at the bit to stuff the run gaps on every play, why don't play action passes work? Their LB's are fast but they aren't that fast.

We should be able to suck them in on play action fakes and throw quick slants and out patterns when they play that aggressively. When the LB's are held up by the threat of the run the middle of the field is pretty darn open in a cover 2.

When a team plays you that way you have to make them pay and we didn't.

I don't understand also how Indy can stop the run AND the pass.
    The same way the 2003 Ravens, who were #1 in rushing and had a 2000-yard rusher, couldn't pass a lick (#32 ranked)...even when the opponent put 9 in the box.

Hey guys.

We *can't* run a base defense against the Colts. With our depleted defensive backfield, it would be stupid. They have too many excellent receivers; Frank Walker, Corey Ivy & Co. would have been no match.

As it was, our pass rush didn't get there and we got crushed anyway. But a base defense only works if you can cover the other team's receivers, which right now, we can't.

Pissing and moaning about 'motivation' is baloney. We didn't have the horses to run the race; our defense was forced by its available personnel to have a risky scheme. And we got burnt.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

what i dont understand is how the hell does manning have our number the way he seems to.is it me or did it seem like as soon as harrison blew by C-mac that the whole game just seemed out of reach.....

i think manning is a great QB.probally the best i ever watch play.(im 25 yrs old)but the way he seems to shread up our secondary is crazy to me.i thought we played them very tough in the playoff game and i know last year we were pretty banged up when we played them.but it seems like we cant match them after the playoff game 2 years ago.

i know that when i sit back and remeber that game that it still gives me stoach pains.i can only imagine what it does to players like ray,reed,C-mac,etc etc....so i wonder is it more a mental thing???i like most of this city was ready to see another super bowl that year.i feel like that game just may still be in the back of some minds on that team.i know it should make the ravens want to win even more but something tells me some still havent let that go every time we see the colts.i sure havent.....

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    Hey guys.

We *can't* run a base defense against the Colts. With our depleted defensive backfield, it would be stupid. They have too many excellent receivers; Frank Walker, Corey Ivy & Co. would have been no match.

Maybe, but it didn't work this time and it hasn't worked in the past against Indy. The only time we play them effectively on defense is when we make Manning throw underneath the coverage and sustain long error free drives.

The D we played sunday just opens us up to the quick strike, big play.

You also say that our limited personnel forced us into a risky style of play. When you're personnel are limited that's when most people go more conservative. You play the high pressure risky stlye of D when you're running on all cylinders.

That's just my opinion.

Blog Entries

Don't forget Cmac.
    He is still solid, but I get a feeling that he is not really back from the knee.
    I couldn't tell if he was "cheating" back an extra step or if his cuts to the right were the same as his left.
    His side of the field doesn't seem to be as avoided as much as in the past, I remember games where it seemed everything was to the other side of the field. Now it seems like he is being tested and will it continue until some interceptions scare people back away from him.