Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Is It Time To Trade For major Tarde OL Player

Is Orlando Brown available?
    Living in Houston, Tx....still living, eating, breathing the Ravens

I like the group of young OL that we currently have in Adam Terry, Jason Brown and Chris Chester.

Adam Terry: He has proven to be our future at LT. He has played very well during the preseason and against some very good DEs. His pass protection is a little better than his run blocking, but Terry's shown that he can be counted on to be our LT for the next 8 years.

Jason Brown: After playing center during the first game, he has seen time moreso at LG. That could be his future, but Brown has shown that he can run and passblock. Besides, he has a nasty streak and fire that is needed on our OL. Brown is the heir apparent to Ed Mulitalo, and no longer the center of the future. Not a bad thing.

Chris Chester: Now, here is our center of the future. He played very well at center for Boller and once he adds weight and more muscle, I think he will be an outstanding center.

Those three are the future left to center of our OL, and I am encouraged with our future in the trenches. During the offseason, we should focus on signing a RT. Pashos is slated to be a UFA, and with the way he's played, this could be his last season as a Raven. At the least, Pashos may be re-signed as the backup, but we should pursue a proven RT via FA. In addition, we should also draft two more OL. This would provide more depth as well as more competition so that Terry, Chester, and Brown are still pushed to perform.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Quote Originally Posted by RavenTD
    I would like to see one of our NFL salary guru's come up with a list of starting O'line total salary.And see where the Ravens match up with other teams in terms of money devoted to the O'line.
    I'm no expert, but I'll not post for a week if I am wrong. I doubt you'll find a big difference between us and most teams. I wish i still had the link but I saw the "too many teams are thinking they can get a top ten-15 offense with a barely average offensive line." And that article proceeded to, amongst other teams, call out the Cowboys and Ravens. Teams with good lines can get away with more...not to mention make good players great (larry johnson, priest holmes, tom brady, trent green, edge, marshall faulk, shaun alexander).

Fact is, we pay top dollar for Ogden, worth it 3 years ago, now? Not really. Does it matter if you have a top 3 left tackle when the right is a constant turnstyle.

We are also paying truckloads to the wrong players. Flynn got a big extension, he was a guard in 2000. Rabach flat outplayed him. Doing pretty solid in Washington too. Why didn't we just sign Rabach to be the center and move Flynn to right guard? I've always wondered about that personally.

If there is any one thing that will continue to be the downfall of this team it is continually marginal O-line play, regardless of who is playing QB or RB period. Fact is if we had invested in the OL properly, then Boller might have worked out better. Not defending or criticizing.

This all goes back to the cap purge. We had to start from scratch and the OL has never recovered. All the investments were in other positions.

You can get away with mediocre WRs or TEs if one group is great. (San Diego, KC, New England)...hell or make an offense with barely anything (Philly) adequate.

Will the help come too late? I am inclined to think so.

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRaven
    We are also paying truckloads to the wrong players. Flynn got a big extension, he was a guard in 2000. Rabach flat outplayed him. Doing pretty solid in Washington too. Why didn't we just sign Rabach to be the center and move Flynn to right guard? I've always wondered about that personally.
    Let me first say that I am, by no means, a Mike Flynn fan - I would love to see Chester or Brown unseat him, and as soon as possible - but I still have problems every time I see comments like this. IMO, Flynn and Rabach were essentially the same player. Flynn got his deal coming off of 2003 when he played very well while Jamal ran for 2000+ yards. He got hurt in camp in 2004 - broken collarbone - and was unable to do any weight training after that. Rabach - who could not beat out Flynn or Bennie Anderson in any of the 3 prior years - took over and played well. Was Rabach's 2004 better than Flynn's 2003? Well, given the overall results of the offense, I would say not. I certainly do not believe that Rabach outplayed Flynn, by any stretch of the imagination. At worst, they were equal.

After that, the FO had to make a decision between two players who they essentially felt were the same. Flynn was already under contract, so they kept him. They felt that Flynn, with a healthy offseason, would be back to his 2003 form. Unfortunately, hindsight says otherwise, and I know that Flynn is a common target among fans, but I really can't fault them for making the decision they made, given the circumstances at the time.

As an aside, it is interesting that, as it often seems to be the case, Flynn's best year - by far - was 2003 when he was a pending FA and Rabach's best year - heck, his only good year as a Raven - was also when he was a pending FA. It's amazing (sarcasm) how much $$$$ can be a motivating factor. :(
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Nurse
    Is Orlando Brown available?
    Yes, and so is Ethan Brooks.
    Neither would be at the top of my list to sign, but at this point strickly looking for depth, they look like world beaters compared to a couple of those scabs we threw out there after Pachos and Terry.

Bottom line with this mess falls on Ozzie.
    His phylosiphy has always been that they place the value on those that touch the ball or those that touch the QB.

Until that changes to some degree, I don't see us spending a great deal in free agency for offensive line help anytime soon.:grbac:
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Is It Time To Trade For major Tarde OL Player
    I think we have too many major tards on our OL as it is.

Is It Time To Trade For major OL Player

The time has passed. But, for the sake of argument, let's hear some suggestions as to who might be available and which players might fit.

Last edited by Mobtown; 08-27-2006 at 08:53 PM.

We don't really even have a backup at RT, since everything I've read has said that Terry can't play there.

Oz and Co. would do well to look hard at the cuts and try to find someone servicable, and if they can't do that, as a last resort sign someone like Brooks or Brown.
    ''You'd love to go on the first day but I'm glad for the situation I'm in,'' he said. ''Baltimore knows how to play defense.''

Quote Originally Posted by RavenFanatic2k6
    We don't really even have a backup at RT, since everything I've read has said that Terry can't play there.
    Well, this brings up something I've been saying for about a month now - this team doesn't have enough depth at OT. Before Rimpf was injured, it looked like they would end up with 3 OTs and 6 interior OLmen making the roster. That's not a good balance and they usually carry 4 OTs. I had speculated that perhaps Kracalik or Droege might have a shot at making the team since they would IMO prefer to carry 4 OTs going into the season. Then, the first preseason game was played and the idea that Kracalik or Droege would make the team became laughable.

Now, with Rimpf likely headed toward IR, I've got to think that they will make some move to bring in an OT who is worthy of making the roster, but I highly doubt that they will end up getting anyone who will be able to contribute unless forced into action (God-forbide) because of injury.
    Last edited by B-more Ravor; 08-27-2006 at 11:00 PM.

I fear we are married to this line as it is. No one of value will come available to be of help any more then the 3 future players: Terry, Brown, Chester. There is a timing issue of Chester and Brown not quite ready for prime time. Although I expect both will play this season and I hope Chester can at some point, unseat Flynn.

B-Ravor:

I see it a little differently. Flynn and Rabach are completely different players today and that is the job of the front office. They have to project during the term of the contract the type of player they have. Rabach is a better player then Flynn today. He is able to get to the second level and make affective blocks. At times it appears that flynn thinks his only assignment is to snap the ball. But when ever DT's like Pat Williams sqaures off against flynn, he is pushed back off the ball and many times into the QB, on running plays! To me both Brown and Chester are better at standing up their man as part of their assignment. Maybe Rabach isn't a world beater but he rarely is blocked into his QB on a running play!

I think Eric Decosta's comments right after the draft about "losing in the trenches" on both sides of the ball was something that needed to be addressed. That is why Ngata was drafted and he mentioned that was needed on the offensive side as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan86
    I see it a little differently. Flynn and Rabach are completely different players today and that is the job of the front office. They have to project during the term of the contract the type of player they have. Rabach is a better player then Flynn today. He is able to get to the second level and make affective blocks.
    Well, when they signed Flynn to his deal, he was the better player and it looked like he was really coming into his own at the C position. And, most importantly, at that point, Rabach had hardly seen the field having been unable to supplant Flynn or Benny Anderson. I really don't think anyone would have thought that one year later the team would be faced with a decision regarding keeping him or letting him go. He really was bad - really bad - when he got the chance to play during his first 3 years here.

So, once he did play in 2004 and play as he did, it really didn't matter because the Ravens decision was already made - the money had been investing in Flynn.

Now, if you want to say they should have seen it coming, well, I just can't see how they could have based on how underwhelming Rabach's play was during his first 3 years here. That, IMO, would be hindsight talking. Had he then been Flynn's equal (or close enough), I have no doubt the team probably would have let Flynn go and stuck with Rabach since he was younger, and at least at that point, cheaper. But, the simple fact of the matter was that Rabach, as a 3rd round pick, was basically a bust during those 1st 3 years.

Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.

I do believe we Raven fans should have this motto.

Friend asks,"Looks like you have a gray hair."

Reply,"It's the O'line stupid.":insane:

Its not like we are not prepared for what a bad O'line looks like.Its watching
    the effects of what a bad O'line brings for another season .
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.