Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Is It Time To Trade For major Tarde OL Player

Look we bring in a Steve McNair and the result is still the same with the OL. How do Ravens fans out there feel about maybe even it's risking our future to trade for a major OL player ( If Available) ? We do know it's late in the
    pre-season but I have real concerns with the OL right now. I would like to hear your thoughts.

Re: Is It Time To Trade For major Tarde OL Player

Title should be: Is It Time To Trade for a Major OL Player

Sure, go after a major player. Leon Searcy worked out so well.

We may just have to be patient (though I'm having issues with that) while we grow our own.
    Oderint dum metuant

Do the Ravens wait until cuts to see what shakes out? Maybe someone cut from one team because of depth could be a fit here? Its hard to say, what could the Ravens offer in exchange for a proven OL guy?
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

It was time to do so a few years ago, and still counting!!

The line went down hill after we won the Superbowl and really hasn't been addressed correctly since.

When Jeff Mitchell left is when the problems started.

Letting Rabach go and retaining Flynn in that spot compounded the problem.

Now that several years of this have gone by, the problem is getting even more compounded.
    Ogden is getting older and will probably only play for this year and maybe next if we're lucky.
    Mulitano is no world beater out there, but in comparison to the rest he's the next highest quality lineman.
    He as well is in the latter stages of his time.

Year in and year out I see other teams draft lineman in just about every round and they find their way onto the field as starters either in year one or two.

How freakin' long has Pachos been here now?

Terry is in year two now, and is servicible at best at this point.

Right now, we have I believe 5 offensive tackles on the roster, and a couple of those scrubs make pachos look li8ke a pro-bowler!!

A couple of those dudes will be cut very shortly leaving us virtually no depth at OT.

I'm telling you, the line problems will be the death of this team, in particular the tackle position.

If Ogden gets hurt, we're in really deep shit!!

Right now, I'd bring back Orlando Brown just to provide a body of servicible depth with experience.
    Pretty freakin pathetic when I'm thinking we should be bringing in Orlando Brown!!:bag:

Rimph was probably our best depth at guard, and I haven't heard what the outlook is for him being able to play this year is yet.

At some point in time, heads have got to roll for the continued decision to not make quality offensive lineman a priority.
    Unfortunately, I have the feeling it will be Mcnairs head rolling first followed by Bollers!!

You wanted my opinion, you got it!!:hammer:
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Too late now. Any moves we were to make on that front needed to happen months ago.

Half of me would have let Ed Reed walk and spend that money on an outstanding o-line player. The other half of me of course would go 0-16 before giving up Ed Reed. I love our defense, but what good is it when we are scoring 3 pts a game and our offense gives up TDs all the time? Our QB will be getting sacked for fumbles and tossing interceptions because he's only got .005 seconds before 2 unblocked linemen bury him every other play. Its happened to both McNair and Boller.

Maybe we should play Cover 1 offense and have Ed Reed deep behind the QB to stop the fumble and interception returns

Common Business Misjudgments and the O-Line

So far in the preseason, we have seen the front office (Ozzie, Bisciotti, Billick and company) be consistent in its support of the o-line, contrary to what we fans saw this year and last year. We need to conclude either
    1. ) The front office is seeing things that we aren't. (though I think this business about Mike Flynn being far superior to Jason Brown on the line calls is horsesh*t)
    2. ) The front office is making consistent errors in their judgments that they aren't perceiving; e.g., they have a major blind spot. Since Biscotti says this organization is run like a well-run business what common business misjudgments could the Ravens be guilty of with the o-line?

1. Going after sunk costs
    -- The front office made a clear mistake in retrospect in keeping Flynn and getting rid of Rabach and have wasted a signing bonus on Keydrick. It is a common misjudgment to keep trying to get "your return" on those investments, even though the money is gone.

2. Misguided loyalty -- Most interviews by Billick on Flynn talk about "what a great team player he is" and references his play on the Super Bowl team of 2000. What past is past.

3. Risk aversion -- Because the "future is now" for Billick, he may be reluctant to take a risk with a younger o-line and accept some errors in the first few games in exchange for more experience by the younger players later in the team.

This is a major decision for the team. In the past, veteran teams like the Forty-Niners were very good at injecting first or second year players on the line early in the season so that they could climb the experience curve. One would hope that the Ravens would learn how to do the same. However, nothing in their behavior gives us any reason to believe that they will.

Anyone out there that can give me more reason for hope about this?

:grbac:

Re: Common Business Misjudgments and the O-Line

Anyone out there that can give me more reason for hope about this?
    The only thing that keeps me sane on this issue is remembering those two prime time games late last season. The line was holding up for those, so I keep hoping they'll find their way back to that point soon.
    Oderint dum metuant

Letting Rabach go and retaining Flynn in that spot compounded the problem.
    This was a mistake of Angelosian proportions. And I say this as a fan of Ozzie Newsome. But we have a history of making too many players "The highest paid "X" in the league". Heap, Lewis, Reed - all overpaid IN THE GRAND SCHEME OF THINGS (need to make sure I include that disclaimer so people don't accuse me of knocking their talents). But they really need to start paying the team AS A TEAM.

Maybe that will also help the team mentality.

Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.

I would like to see one of our NFL salary guru's come up with a list of starting O'line total salary.And see where the Ravens match up with other teams in terms of money devoted to the O'line.

I feel we have too many experiments,average joe types upfront.And if it doesn't mesh,and against a good D like the Buc's.The offense will be eaten alive.

On the otherhand if they can come together in week one,then we should be set for the season barring injuries.
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.

Why do we need a retarded OL player?

We need to either grit teeth, go with what we have, and hope for the best. (scary) or...

Start talking to teams about trading a quality tackle for either:
    A: a player where we have depth - RB LB WR
    B: a draft choice
    or...

Hypnotice the staff into biting the bullet and playing Brown and Chester immediately.

We villagers are about ready to grab the torches and pitchforks.
    ENFORCE THE 1ST AMENDMENT WITH THE SECOND, NEVER DISARM